GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Game's Question of the Week - Which game, if any, inspired you to get your current console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 30/06/01 at 19:56
Regular
I suppose, being the topic host , I should start...

For me it was Super Mario 64... jeer all you want, but seeing my childhood gaming hero in true 3D was all the influence I needed to plea with my parents for an N64... and i'm damn glad I did!
Tue 03/07/01 at 12:24
Regular
"not dead"
There's no way that I can limit my post to just what made me get my current console, so I;ll start from the beginning...

...When I was very young, I saw my cousin playing River Raid on the Atari 2600. I wanted one so bad, and for Christmas I got one.

Next my parents bought me an Acorn Electron, but not for any one game in particular.

Getting back into consoles I wanted a Sega Master System because most of the fun games I played in the arcades where either Sega games, or available for the SMS, like Double Dragon.

Next I got a Megadrive, bought on the strength of the initial screen shots of games like Altered Beast, though it was a few years later that I actually got that game. Ghouls and Ghosts was the game I really wanted to play on it, and it was a real gem!

I took a bit of a step back after that, but have never really looked back since. Super Mario Bros 3 made me want a NES, and by then they weren't too pricey either. It was the fact that countless reviews called it the best game ever. When I played it I was not disappointed!

Next was a SNES. SuperMarioWorld was enough to make me want one, but the news that Street Fighter 2 would be available made me need one!

It's funny, but with the majority of the consoles I've had, it has been the arcade that has influenced me. If they had not have been so expensive, and full of fruit machines these days, I reckon the Deamcast would have sold more.

Anyway, where was I? Oh the SNES! I was happy with the SNES for many years, until I went on an extended holiday. Whilst I was away I picked up a Gameboy. It was either that or the Virtual-Boy thing, and the Gameboy got it as my brother already had a dozen or so Gameboy games.

When I returned from by trip, my brother had an N64. So I played one of those too. Then I moved out, and for Xmas a year and a half later, my wife bought me an N64. This was simply because I could borrow all of my brothers games!
Tue 03/07/01 at 12:07
Regular
"Sanity is for loser"
I must admit than in the past, I held a little grudge for all Sony's consoles, because of owning an N64. I always did (and still do) believ that I made the right choice in getting an N64. But now the time has come, and I must get a new console. My N64 is outdated. I need fulfilment.

As many of you may know, I live close to Ant. I have often p;ayed on his PS2, admiring its amazing gameplay, great graphics and amazing sound effects, while putting on the pretence that I hated it, picking out the tiny faults.

But as I said, the time has come for a new console. It seems I have 4 choices:-

1)Wait for the GameCube. This was my first idea, but then I realised that in that long, I could get a lot of enjoyment out of a different console. I will still be getting a GameCube. This is because, not only do the specs look good, and not only is it made by Nintendo, but the GAMES look good. I have always said that games make a console, and the GC will be no different.

2)X-BOX. I decided against waiting for this for two reasons: 1, the gamecube will be out, and I really want it.
2, I dont think the XBOX will be as good as it should. sure it has huge specs, and the games LOOK great, but I believe there will be a shortage of games with good plots.

3) Buy a GBA. Now this is what I wanted to do. The best handeld ever, brekthrough graphics, play my old GBC games - the perfect option. But, it is only a handheld. Despite its great graphics and good games, it can never hold an interest span as long as a proper console. So no.

4)Buy a DC. They are cheap. they have some good games. It has internet. But, it is dying. I feel it is a little too late to get one now, and its times to go for the big boy of current consoles.

(so there are 5, not 4 what are you going to do about it?!)

4) Buy a playstation 2. Yes. But why? I have always held the PSX in contempt, and pretended I feel the same about the PS2. But I dont - I love it. I have noticed the brilliant quality of games, graphics and even plots - something which the PSX lacked.

After recently playing Red Factio round Ant's (To come back to the original topic) I decided I must get a PS2. Red faction has an excellent multiplayer, with great enemy AI, graphics and guns (my three favourite FPS qualities!)

Though I have not played the single player, I can tell what it will be like. amazing guns like those found in the Multiplayer, breathtaking graphics (in places) and a great plot. The manual describes the story, and also some of the vehicles you can pilot.

And theres also a new feature, I quote from the case "Can't find the key? Make your own door!" yes thats right, destructable levels. Not only can you make your own doors, you can find secret entrances, often hiding devestating weapons! :)

So, to answer the question, te games that told me to order a PS2 was Red Faction - and I cant wait to get it!
Tue 03/07/01 at 10:28
Regular
"Eric The Half A Bee"
sideshow buzz wrote:
> for me it was mario kart on the n64, and konami krazy racers for my
> gba, however my first games purchases for both system were super
> mario 64 and super maio advance.

aye... definitly Super Mario Kart 64...

I was gutted that there was no N64 Street Fighter 2 title... many a drunken morn was spent trahsing my housemates a SF2 (actually being trashed was also quite a popular event too :) )
Tue 03/07/01 at 10:17
Regular
"Trout a la creme"
for me it was mario kart on the n64, and konami krazy racers for my gba, however my first games purchases for both system were super mario 64 and super maio advance.
Mon 02/07/01 at 14:58
Regular
"Back in black"
For the Gamecube, its not so much a particular game that inspires me- but the good looking vareity of games, though I am looking forward to Smash bros and After Dark.
Mon 02/07/01 at 14:51
Tony Hawks peo skater 2 on the GBA
Mario 64 on the N64
I wasn't really inspired by anything on the Playstation but I got it anyway.
Wave Race and Rouge leader - Gamecube
Mon 02/07/01 at 14:46
Regular
"Back in black"
At the time of buying the 64, I really wanted to get a football game- Fifa 98, So Fifa 98 made me get the 64.
Sun 01/07/01 at 22:48
Regular
"I like cheese"
Tekken on the PSX.

As soon as I'd got on it, you couldn't pull me away. I had to get a PSX.
Sun 01/07/01 at 22:34
Regular
"I am Bumf Ucked"
Goldeneye.

And Soul Caliber makes me want a DC
Sun 01/07/01 at 14:20
"I love yo... lamp."
Definitly Goldeneye. The multiplayer was awesome for the first time. It forced me to get an N64. Thank you Craig and Goldeneye. Craig owned the N64 that I first played Goldeneyes multiplayer on.
Biggles

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.