GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"a Few PS2 questions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/07/04 at 17:58
"Majestic"
...Mainly concerning the online options.

I'm thinking about buying a PS2 for its sheer amount of RPG's and Platforming games. My Xbox will still remain king of the castle - for shooting and more serious games. And my Gamecube - well - I don't know. Maybe a door stop until something good comes out.
Anyway, on with the questions.
-----------
ONLINE QUESTIONS
-----------
1. Do you have to pay a monthly / yearly fee to play online - or do you just have to purchase the modem?
2. Which begs the question - Do you take your PS2 online, and if so - what games do you normally play?
3. Is there any Lag?
4. Is it advisable buying a Hard-drive for online purposes?
5. Anything else?
-----------
NON - ONLINE QUESTIONS
-----------

1. Are there any new PS2 colors coming out in the near future - like see-through orange? Or something similar that’s worth waiting for.
2. With the special colored PS2's do you get 2 controllers, like you do with the colored Xboxes?
3. Is it worth buying a PS2 now, seem as the dawn of the new consoles is upon us?
4. Any future price drops announced?
5. Anything else?

Thanks a lot for your time, your opinions count!

Thanks again,
Discodexy
Wed 21/07/04 at 23:53
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
DiscoDexy wrote:
> Why consoles don't play import games without modding is beyond me; it
> should just some as standard.

It's a publisher thing. Basically if all PS2's were universal and played JAP, NTSC and PAL format all at once then a lot of European based publishers would go out of business overnight because EA could afford to snap up the worldwide rights for distribution of all the good games.

Then EA could turn around and say "It's not worth translating these games into all those silly European languages".

Then EA could turn around and say "The European network infrastructure just isn't worth supporting, no more online games for you guys until you get it sorted out".

Then they could pick and choose which developers they wanted to publish, and a lot of the smaller development teams would be sucked up into a monolithic games factory environment which would stifle originality. The rest would be claiming benefit.

At least with lots of publishers about there's always a small chance that someone will take a risk and publish a little known gem that turns out to be a smash hit rather than be happy churning out Pro Evo Soccer 28 and FIFA 2036 forever.
Wed 21/07/04 at 22:44
"Majestic"
It would pain me to buy a new machine at 160 smackers, and void the warrenty by putting a chip in it.

However, if it doesnt require one, then its fantastic. And the bonus of playing import games too - its great :-D

Why consoles don't play import games without modding is beyond me; it should just some as standard.
Wed 21/07/04 at 22:41
Regular
The guy at where I can get one from says you don't need a chip. But then, he does the best chips available so if it turns out you do (which I doubt), I can get a risk-free chip from him :D
Wed 21/07/04 at 22:39
"Majestic"
An online shop that stocks this product insists that your PS2 must me chipped in order to Use the HD Loader. Do you use this? It may be worth looking into if i don't have to but a dirty chip in my machine :-D

I'll be getting this mainly to reduce loading times, and to save me time; instead of swapping discs, just select a game - fantastic.

EDIT : Spelling error
Wed 21/07/04 at 15:56
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
No it doesn't have to be chipped. Where did you get that from?

If you really want to play imports you can also format the HD on the PS2, unplug it, stick it in your PC and use a special utility to install all your imports that way.
Wed 21/07/04 at 14:55
"Majestic"
so for this HDloader - does your PS2 have to be chipped? I Like the sound of no disc swapping; and it would keep all the games i buy in mint condition too.

Edit: Yes, it does have to be chipped, so i won't be doing it :D not putting some 3rd party chip in my new - blue - PS2.
Wed 21/07/04 at 14:32
Regular
Nice, I might just have to invest in one of those :)
Wed 21/07/04 at 14:10
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Flip top.

Load HDloader, select 'install game'... eject disc normally and put in a valid PAL game, close the tray and wait until it stops spinning. select 'cancel' (I usually do another install/cancel afterwards to be sure it's stopped).

Pop the lid and switch to a NTSC game disc, select install and continue, and it allows you to enter the title and proceed.
Wed 21/07/04 at 13:47
Regular
Elaborate, kind sir.

Have you put imports on there via magic slide/flip-top or do you have a chipped PS2?
Wed 21/07/04 at 13:30
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Yeah loading speeds are vastly improved in some cases, slightly improved in others - but always an improvement. I think it's an amazing idea, it's like having a videogame jukebox - just turn on the power and select the game from a list. Plus it cuts down on a lot of the disc swapping i had to do to play my imports (although annoyingly Drummania won't install, it says it's not a valid disc)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.