GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"a Few PS2 questions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/07/04 at 17:58
"Majestic"
...Mainly concerning the online options.

I'm thinking about buying a PS2 for its sheer amount of RPG's and Platforming games. My Xbox will still remain king of the castle - for shooting and more serious games. And my Gamecube - well - I don't know. Maybe a door stop until something good comes out.
Anyway, on with the questions.
-----------
ONLINE QUESTIONS
-----------
1. Do you have to pay a monthly / yearly fee to play online - or do you just have to purchase the modem?
2. Which begs the question - Do you take your PS2 online, and if so - what games do you normally play?
3. Is there any Lag?
4. Is it advisable buying a Hard-drive for online purposes?
5. Anything else?
-----------
NON - ONLINE QUESTIONS
-----------

1. Are there any new PS2 colors coming out in the near future - like see-through orange? Or something similar that’s worth waiting for.
2. With the special colored PS2's do you get 2 controllers, like you do with the colored Xboxes?
3. Is it worth buying a PS2 now, seem as the dawn of the new consoles is upon us?
4. Any future price drops announced?
5. Anything else?

Thanks a lot for your time, your opinions count!

Thanks again,
Discodexy
Thu 22/07/04 at 18:14
Regular
"~DPG~"
'chipping' a console is illigeal. Dont do it. It shortens the life of the console anyway.
Thu 22/07/04 at 10:57
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Yeah. Last time I fitted a sprung top for somebody it had a design flaw (which they may have sorted).

When you think about it, the lid is forming the upper half of the clamp which holds the disc. So if you have a spring which is trying to raise the lid, even when closed the grip is not as secure as it should be. On my pals one the disc was slipping in the clamp and wouldn't load. I fixed it by taking the lid apart and putting the spring in upside down, so it was then forcing the lid shut.

Like I said, they may have corrected this problem, and it can be worked around anyway - but if you have the bog-standard hinge you won't even need to worry about it.
Thu 22/07/04 at 10:50
Regular
Thanks, so avoid the newer ones right?

got it :)
Thu 22/07/04 at 09:51
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I got mine back when they started and there was only one supplier - ps2magic.com I think? Maybe ps2fliptop.com. However now you will probably be able to get one from this country.

Just another comment on that - the flip tops have advanced in design. Mine was a basic hinged lid. Now they have push button releases and springs. If you can, try and get a basic one as it will work best.

P.S. it's about £20 for lid and boot discs I think - although you don't need the boot discs for HD loader, I would recommend them anyway for those titles which aren't HDloader compatible.
Thu 22/07/04 at 09:35
Regular
That's fine, my two biggest are Maxtor - biggest being a 120Gb.

Finally, Flip-top is going to be much cheaper than chipping - where'd you get it from and how much?
Thu 22/07/04 at 09:31
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
I'm using a Samsung Spinpoint 120gb, 8mb cache. part nr SP1213N - it's totally silent, so great for late night gaming sessions (especially as you don't hear the dvd drive anymore either)

The majority are using Maxtor drives between 40gb and 120gb - you can't use anything less than 40 but you probably could go above 120. Be warned, some makes of drive don't fit onto the network adapter. Maxtor and Samsung are the only two dead certs I know of.
Thu 22/07/04 at 09:27
Regular
What HD are you using?

I've got about 3 spares I could use - obviously I'll ust the biggest if I can
Thu 22/07/04 at 09:26
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
How exactly did you think a Hard Disk Loader would work without one?

And like I already said, you don't need a mod-chip. I've got HDloader and I certainly don't have a mod-chip.

Btw Coin, chips have just been made totally illegal.
Thu 22/07/04 at 02:15
Regular
"Bicycle"
[URL]http://www.hdloader.com/site.php?page=home[/URL]

The 'official' HDLoader page.

You need a network adapter and a compatible hard drive? Wha?
Thu 22/07/04 at 02:07
Regular
"Bicycle"
Hey, where does this chipper live?

I'm thinking of getting my old PS2 chipped... How much does it cost, anyway?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.