GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"a Few PS2 questions..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 20/07/04 at 17:58
"Majestic"
...Mainly concerning the online options.

I'm thinking about buying a PS2 for its sheer amount of RPG's and Platforming games. My Xbox will still remain king of the castle - for shooting and more serious games. And my Gamecube - well - I don't know. Maybe a door stop until something good comes out.
Anyway, on with the questions.
-----------
ONLINE QUESTIONS
-----------
1. Do you have to pay a monthly / yearly fee to play online - or do you just have to purchase the modem?
2. Which begs the question - Do you take your PS2 online, and if so - what games do you normally play?
3. Is there any Lag?
4. Is it advisable buying a Hard-drive for online purposes?
5. Anything else?
-----------
NON - ONLINE QUESTIONS
-----------

1. Are there any new PS2 colors coming out in the near future - like see-through orange? Or something similar that’s worth waiting for.
2. With the special colored PS2's do you get 2 controllers, like you do with the colored Xboxes?
3. Is it worth buying a PS2 now, seem as the dawn of the new consoles is upon us?
4. Any future price drops announced?
5. Anything else?

Thanks a lot for your time, your opinions count!

Thanks again,
Discodexy
Fri 23/07/04 at 22:27
"Majestic"
Cheers Jakxter =D
Fri 23/07/04 at 16:53
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Ehhh.... Coin, a HD is a hard disk. All the other answers are already on this thread.

DVD Games are usually 1, 2, or 4 gb and pretty much take up the same amount of space on the HDD. CD games are smaller obviously. 4 gb is basically the maximum because dual layer games (of which there are only 10) are not supported.
Fri 23/07/04 at 16:31
Regular
"Up your Arsenal!!"
I can answer these ones.

> NON - ONLINE QUESTIONS
> -----------
>
> 1. Are there any new PS2 colors coming out in the near future - like
> see-through orange?At the moment there's only Black and Silver but I've heard there's going to be an Arctic Blue PS2.
> 2. With the special colored PS2's do you get 2 controllers, like you
> do with the colored Xboxes?A silver PS2 comes with two silver controllers but the black one only comes with one unless you bought it in a deal.
> 3. Is it worth buying a PS2 now, seem as the dawn of the new consoles
> is upon us?It's up to you!
> 4. Any future price drops announced?Haven't heard about any but there'll probably will be.
> 5. Anything else?The PS2 is well worth buying and because you like platformers and RPGs I would recommend you buying these, if you get a PS2 that is:

Jak and Daxter:The Precursor Legacy
Jak 2:Renegade (Jak 2 in America)
Ratchet and Clank
Ratchet and Clank 2:Locked and Loaded(Ratchet and Clank 2:Going Commando in America)
Final Fantasy X and X-2
Dark Chronicle(Dark Cloud 2)
Prince of Persia:The Sands of Time
Beyond Good and Evil
Fri 23/07/04 at 16:08
Regular
"Bicycle"
Waiiit.

So the product 'HDLoader' is just a disc, and you need to buy a seperate hard drive and network adapter... For how much?

And what is this flip top? Do you put the HD Loader disc into the normal PS2 socket?

Do HD's have disc drives?

Actually, what is an HD? :/ I know nothing.
Fri 23/07/04 at 15:44
Regular
"French the Fries!"
I was considering getting a HD loader and was just wondering how much space each game takes up on average and what is the maximum sized game you have.

Thanks.
Fri 23/07/04 at 14:37
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
Coin wrote:
> But I'm lost. I know nothing of HD, or how it all works.
>
> Please explain as simply as possible.. Help me... *Whimpers.*

Well, you get a hard drive which has sockets that match up to the Sony Network Adapter. You connect the two together and attach it to the PS2. You then get an HDloader disc, which allows you to install and run games from the hard drive. Simple.

The official site link is down below.

What you can also do is install and run imports onto the hard drive. This can be done by either swapping discs at the point of installation (using a flip top), by connecting the hard drive onto a PC and using a special utility to install from the PC DVD drive, or using a mod chip.
Fri 23/07/04 at 13:58
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Darwock wrote:
> He's right about it being illegal though, as of earlier this week.
> They changed the law. Doubt anything will change though.

Oh didn't mean the illegal thing was talking about when he said it shortens the life span. Had mine for 4 years with no problems
Fri 23/07/04 at 10:11
Regular
"Bicycle"
Meh. I'm confused...

I'm going to the US in a week now, got £65 for it, and could probably get more. This translates to $115 USD. Which is lots, considering new PS2 games still only cost $40 (about £22), so I could buy about twice as much.

But I'm lost. I know nothing of HD, or how it all works.

Please explain as simply as possible.. Help me... *Whimpers.*
Fri 23/07/04 at 10:03
Regular
"50 BLM,30 SMN,25 RD"
He's right about it being illegal though, as of earlier this week. They changed the law. Doubt anything will change though.
Thu 22/07/04 at 20:45
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
gamer2005 wrote:
> 'chipping' a console is illigeal. Dont do it. It shortens the life of
> the console anyway.

and the award for knowing nothing about what he's talking about goes to you.

Well done sir, no time for a speech though time for an ad break.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.