GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Girl Gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 19:48
Regular
I think that an awful lot of advertising for video games is aimed at males, i think i have the explanation as to why this is.

Girls are very uninterested and often very....well rubbish at videogames.

This was brought to my attention when we were playing colin mccrae rally 2.0 on the ps in the study room today at school.

While the boys were happily trying to beat the record time in the game, a few girls decided to give it a try.

..while the most inexperienced male gamers took around 2mins:45sec to complete the chosen course, we were still yawning away a full 7 mins after a female gamer decided to partake in the event and crashed right left and center into EVERY obstacle on the course (after 7.5 mins we turned off the computer and shoved her off for hogging)

I think this is why advertising is hardly ever aimed at females and why being told that you "play like a girl" is such an insult.

If any female reads this and wants vengence, please dont hurt me, i bruise easily.
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:01
Regular
"A square watermelon"
I find this more funny then anything else..

Not all girls spend their time "preening" although, admittedly, quite a few do.

It's a mark of how little you understand us, that these views seem to have stuck of "how all girls are"

True, there are fewer girls in gaming then boys, but there are girls there. Also, it is true that some girls do indeed think gaming in lame, but that is also not all of us. The point whoever it was made about advertising being aimed mainly at males is partly because not mainy girls do game, but also, in my opinion, part of what deters girls from gaming. Quite a vicious circle..

I'm not saying I'm good at gaming, I'm just saying I enjoy it and isn't that what matters?

Posts like this aren't exactly going to help encourage girls to game, nor is this "gaming is a male thing and girls go on pony rides" view.

So don't dismiss us so.
Tue 26/06/01 at 21:50
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Yep, few girly-whirly's play gamey-wameys.

There's a girl at school who has completed Goldeneye and Perfect Dark!

Whereas my 12-year-old sister whips ass at many Playstation games (except she don't whip me)
Tue 26/06/01 at 21:45
Regular
"Psytrance junkie"
Hmm, just poking Jess around a bit... There are curently 5 girls constantly asking me to lend them Unreal Tournament, some have been playing games for years. Iguana is actually annoyingly good..
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:27
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Maybe it's because joypads are a serious nail hazard?
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:26
Lots of girls can play Tetris and Snake on their mobiles, and are very good. They just lack experience, give them time and they will be up there with the best.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:10
Most girls can't play and say it is lame. Dunno why. But many a girls has loved gaming like boys so there isn't much difference.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:09
Girls generally prefer different games to guys, girls are more likely to play Sims and God Games than FirstPersonShooters and FightingGames.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:08
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
Girls have much better things to do with their time such as preen and ride ponies.

That is NOT stereotyping.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:07
Regular
"Oi you- sort it out"
I know exactly what you mean. I was near in tears when watching my sister play wipeout, she couldn't hold the ship in a straight line and she didn't listen to the pointers i was giving.

Online I have played to girls gamers in a clan, they wern't the best but they wern' the worst I had come across either.
I beat them at Q3 of course, no ladys gonna put me to shame.

Anyway, girls are generally very bad at games. They should stick to shopping and make-up.
Tue 26/06/01 at 20:06
Britney Spears aaaahhhh!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.