GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Girl Gamers"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 19:48
Regular
I think that an awful lot of advertising for video games is aimed at males, i think i have the explanation as to why this is.

Girls are very uninterested and often very....well rubbish at videogames.

This was brought to my attention when we were playing colin mccrae rally 2.0 on the ps in the study room today at school.

While the boys were happily trying to beat the record time in the game, a few girls decided to give it a try.

..while the most inexperienced male gamers took around 2mins:45sec to complete the chosen course, we were still yawning away a full 7 mins after a female gamer decided to partake in the event and crashed right left and center into EVERY obstacle on the course (after 7.5 mins we turned off the computer and shoved her off for hogging)

I think this is why advertising is hardly ever aimed at females and why being told that you "play like a girl" is such an insult.

If any female reads this and wants vengence, please dont hurt me, i bruise easily.
Sun 05/08/01 at 00:02
"I love yo... lamp."
The awful thing is that it reflects badly on the good girl gamers. I know a girl who beats me all the time at FIFA and Resi. And others. But yes it would be good to have a girlfriend or wife who was good at games.
Wed 27/06/01 at 21:49
Maybe you should start a "Girl Gamers Society".
Wed 27/06/01 at 19:54
"possibly impossible"
I've been beaten by ladies and I have the scars to prove it. Who said women were the fairer sex?

In the beginning of gaming, games were aimed at a wider audience, or perhaps hadn't developed an audience of certain types, and many girls played in arcades or had Atari and other systems. It was only when games introduced better graphics with rambo style characters or gameplay that required shooting and even more shooting. Games consoles also got more 'techy' relying on stats and dodgy adverts like the Barbarian one (you know, with Wolf in) to lure the now mainly male audience to games.

The 80's were a time when girls tended to steer away from computer games and a lot of people, many males included, saw them as geeky. This has only recently been changed in the view of most people, but it's still seen as a techy thing to know too much about games, so girls have mostly steered clear of the subject, only flittering with the odd game. Only now does it seem more 'acceptable' socially for games to be played by girls as well, possibly something to do with the gender gap narrowing and female attitudes to many things changing.

It's not a good thing to alienate half the population of a country or planet for that matter, so the sooner games companies can get around their vicious circle of selling games to certain market types, thus sustaining these market types in the industry, the better.

99% of the ladies I've met who like gaming are normal females who just realise that there is a lot of fun to be had from consoles.
Wed 27/06/01 at 19:35
Regular
"Eff, you see, kay?"
While you're "little friend" is "recovering", eh?
Wed 27/06/01 at 19:16
Regular
The perfect girl would be one that is just as good as me in videogames.

(I'm not saying I'm any better than anyone else on here)

Most males here, if not all, will be or are looking for a female companion. Well wouldn't you prefer to be able to play challenging deathmatches or races with her?
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:49
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
*Shock's still on the floor unconcious...*
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:48
wink, wink, nudge nudge

Hey Your Hitting On Me!

. . . . . SLAM

(Jimmy leaves the room disgusted at the advance)
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:40
Regular
"[SE] Acetrooper"
Wonder why that is ay, ay? Nudge nudge, wink wink...hehe.
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:33
As long as a girl beats me in private and not in front of my mates.

Only Joking, Ive been beaten at games by girls before.

I just wish there were more girls who played games.
Tue 26/06/01 at 22:08
Regular
Oh great here we go again what's wrong with girls playing games if they are good at it!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.