GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"What should Arsenal do with Vieira ?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 26/06/01 at 18:23
Regular
They basically have three options :

1. Let him leave and bank a cheque for about £35m.

2. Let him rot in the reserves for a season or two then sell him (he has three years on his contract).

3. Force him to stay and play out his contract or at least part of it, in the hope that a succesful season will force a change of heart from the player.

Rather than have an unhappy player at the club, the liklihood is that Arsenal will cash in on PV. However, I long for the day when one club makes a stand against player power. Just think of the service Arsenal would be doing to football in general if they threw Vieira in the reserves for the next three seasons and then let him leave on a Bosman (costing him three years of his career). The club would lose £35m but it would wrestle some of the power away from the players and back to the clubs. It would give players and agents something to think about.
Fri 29/06/01 at 13:46
Regular
"Back in black"
Or†ega wrote:
> Grandprix wrote:
> Is it me or is it that the French footballers
> just complain and
> moan?

Leboeuf, Anelka, Desailly, Petit
> before he left Arsenal,
> Vieira now.

There is an exception
> to this, Eric cantona. Did u ever hear the man moan? if any crap
> went his way, he sorted with his kung-fu!
ha ha Crystal palace fans!!
Fri 29/06/01 at 01:27
Regular
Grandprix wrote:
> Is it me or is it that the French footballers just complain and
> moan?

Leboeuf, Anelka, Desailly, Petit before he left Arsenal,
> Vieira now.

There is an exception to this, Eric cantona. Did u ever hear the man moan? if any crap went his way, he sorted with his kung-fu!
Thu 28/06/01 at 19:11
Vieira has previous stated that he will not be going back to Italy - followed the racial abuse he got when playing for Arsenal against Lazio.

Seems to me as though Read are hedging their bets. They appear to be close to signing Zidane and I doubt they will finance a move for Vieira as well. Perhaps they are lining PV up incase the Zidane deal falls through.

Although Vieira clearly wants to leave I think it is highly unlike he said many of the things which have been reported. He has never been so outspoken before and remember that many of his Internation teammates play for Arsenal. Would he really be so critical of them ?. It is virtually unheard of for players to criticise team mates in this way and it is very out of character with Patrick Vieira.

I personally think the Arsene Wenger is also guilty in all this. He has dithered so long on his contract renewal. He keeps saying he will sign but never actually does. This must unsettle the players to a degree.
Thu 28/06/01 at 18:37
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
True, but I feel that Vieira hs been heavily influenced by his scummy money grabbing agent, the same agent that Anelka has. Notice any similarity between the players behaivior??

At least Pettit admitted his mistake afterwards. Vieira is ignoring advice from compatriot players such as Pires, Wiltord and Grimandi to stay at Arsenal. I think he must be under pressure from his agent to make a big move.

Vieira has never been that outspoken as a player, it's amost as if making these comments to ensure his move.

Now there's this talk about secret negotiations with Juventus, no doubt to replace Zidane if he goes to Real Madrid. Seems a bit to convienient to me.

Bloody agents.
Thu 28/06/01 at 18:16
I am becoming increasingly tired of the attitude of the French players (apart from Giles Grimandi). The likes of Anelka, Petit and Vieira owe Arsenal a debt of gratitude. OK - the club sold Anelka and Petit for large profit - but both players became world class players whilst playing for Arsenal.

Until recently Vieira seemed to be different and more loyal. I do not believe much of what has been apparently said but even if half of it is true the man should be ashamed of himself for being so critical of the club and his teammates.

Vieira has been a hero at Highbury. A former Highbury hero died recently (David Rocastle). Rocky will be remembered for years to come at Highbury - for his commitment, love and loyalty to the club. Rocastle openly admitted to 'crying for hours' when told that Arsenal had accepted an offer from Leeds United. Sadly Vieira will now not be remembered in the same light. This is unfortunate as he is without doubt the best player I have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt.
Thu 28/06/01 at 17:28
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Well, no not really. What would be the point of discussing something if the decision had already been made by the player. The thread heading is ‘What should Arsenal Do with Vieira?’

That sort of opens the door to speculation doesn’t it?

I’ll get my official statement from Arsenal when it comes out. Until then, it’s the football fans prerogative to speculate as wildly as he/she possibly can on player movements. It’s what being a fan is all about.
Thu 28/06/01 at 17:21
Regular
Can't you stop speculating and wait for the real vieira to speak up.
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:47
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
Is it me or is it that the French footballers just complain and moan?

Leboeuf, Anelka, Desailly, Petit before he left Arsenal, Vieira now.
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:44
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
I think they should just sell him. I’ll be sorry to see a player of his PLAYING qualities go, but not sorry to see the back of his moaning sulky attitude. Vieira was nothing when Wenger bought him in from the sidelines in Italy, certainly not a player widely touted as one of the better midfield players in Europe today.

How can he complain that players like Van Bronkhurst, Wright or Jeffers are little more than hopeful players, branding Jeffers as ‘a boy’? Perhaps he has forgotten how old he was when signed from obscurity by Wenger who made him the player he is. Now he turns his back on the club basically for not winning the Champions League.

Well here’s some refreshing news for you Vieira; Only one club can win the Champions league and it wasn’t Manchester United, Real Madrid, Barcelona or Lazio.

It was Bayern Munich, so are you going to play there? How will you decide which club out of around ten or so contenders will bring you the most coveted of European titles in the next three years or so?

Not enough silverware? Sorry mate, was winning the Double not good enough for you? There are some truly great players that will go/have gone their entire careers without winning the FA cup or the league title, let alone both in the same season. But that just isn’t good enough for you is it?

Sell him, offload him to any club big enough to afford his fee and satisfy his ambition. It’s probably all down to his money grabbing agent, he did the same with Anelka for his fat commission.

Then spend the money from his sale on bringing in players that want to play for Arsenal and do well in the Premiership and Europe. I’m sure there are plenty of players out there. Please don’t shatter what belief I have left in the professional sportsman to actually behave like one, rather than some star struck, on screen superstar.

Good riddance.
Thu 28/06/01 at 16:27
Ice Blaster wrote:
> Uniteds do need some one good, and some one better than Viera. Someone international, some one to work with Van Nistelrooy- but that of the topic!

There a very few midfield players (if any) who are better than Vieira. Remember he has only just turned 25 - so has not even peaked (unlike Zidane, Keane, Davids etc)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.