GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Rare - The Thread"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 31/07/04 at 13:55
"Retarded List"
I thought this site could do with a thread about one of the best developers around, so here it is.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:21
Regular
"8==="
Hahaha DKR...

*Shakes head*
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:20
Regular
Hedfix wrote:

> However I had Stunt Racer 2000, Chocks Away, The Doom boxed set, Star
> Fighter 3000, Ixion, 3 player 2D fighters and various other games on
> my 32bit computer that simply blew away everything available on a
> home console at the time (Mario World et al).

*spits coffee out over monitor*

Sounds like you were having fun.

Think I'm glad I stuck to Streetfighter 2 Turbo, Mario world, Mario Kart, Streets of Rage etc etc.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:19
Regular
"8==="
Rickoss wrote:
> I'd much rather be playing Yoshi's Island and Killer Instinct myself.
> :-P

Yes because you HAVE played all those games I've mentioned. :P

Chocks Away for instance would actually still standup well today against most flying games. Absolutely stunning.

If you can get it on an emulator I would highly recommend you do so it really is that good.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:17
Regular
Whether you personally like the games or not is not the issue here. All the N64 games listed (except maybe Killer Instinct) were praised by the gaming press and gamers alike for their originality and fun factor. Donkey Kong Country is still regarded by many as one of the greatest platformers ever.

Starfox Adventures and Ghoulies however were slated by pretty much everyone that has the slightest idea about what makes a good game, they were awful.

Oh and as for DKR being a shoddy hyrbrid of styles, that's a load of nonsense. If they'd have just gone for a straight forward Mario Kart rip-off then they'd have been slated for it, I thought all the vehicles worked amazingly well (especially those water craft things) and the story mode really helped to keep you intrested in the single player. It's a pity that Nintendo didn't borrow some of the ideas for Double Dash really.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:17
Regular
"8==="
The only game I was really chuffed with on a console at the time was Zero Tolerance which was a step in the right direction with good gameplay and some solid FPS Action and even a 2 player link-up mode.

Amazing stuff considering it was on the Megadrive. :D
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:16
Regular
I'd much rather be playing Yoshi's Island and Killer Instinct myself. :-P
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:15
Regular
"8==="
Rickoss wrote:
> Donkey Kong Country was a brilliant game.

Yes for a console of the time it was.

However I had Stunt Racer 2000, Chocks Away, The Doom boxed set, Star Fighter 3000, Ixion, 3 player 2D fighters and various other games on my 32bit computer that simply blew away everything available on a home console at the time (Mario World et al).

Good times.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:10
Regular
Donkey Kong Country was a brilliant game.
Mon 09/08/04 at 14:05
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> Cel Damage, Fusion Frenzy and
> Whacked?

All have multiplayer vastly more enjoyable than that found in DKR.
>
> DKR was an excellent game in single player, it's just the dire
> multiplayer that let it down.

No it was a shoddy hybrid of styles that didn't work.

As for Blast Corps that was an original
> and enjoyable if a little short lived game.

and shelling out 30 quid for a game that'd be freeware on the PC certainly made it worth it.

Killer Instinct was an
> excellent hardcore fighting game, the style was a bit dated but the
> actual game was a great example of the genre.

Retro, guff and an awful start to Rare's N64 days.
>
> Grabbed by the Ghoulies was awful souless crap and the same goes for
> Starfox. How you can say it takes them a while to get started on
> consoles I really can't imagine, their first game on SNES was Donkey
> kong Country. Rare are a shadow of their former self and hell that's
> probably being a bit generous with the praise.

Hated Donkey Kong Country, I was still on PCs/Arcs/Macs when that was out, it was that sort of uninteresting platforming experience (which I would personally describe as souless) that made the 32 bit home computer games so much more interesting to play.

Really can't comment on Starfox as I left it well alone and always was going to due to the fact it had no multiplayer and it was well documentedthat Rare's relationship with Nintendo had soured. As for GBTG, I'd rather play that than DKR, DKC, KI or BC but to be honest I'd rather play none of them ever again.
Mon 09/08/04 at 13:36
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> played DKR
> vapid trash that it was

This coming from the guy who likes Cel Damage, Fusion Frenzy and Whacked?

DKR was an excellent game in single player, it's just the dire multiplayer that let it down. As for Blast Corps that was an original and enjoyable if a little short lived game. Killer Instinct was an excellent hardcore fighting game, the style was a bit dated but the actual game was a great example of the genre.

Grabbed by the Ghoulies was awful souless crap and the same goes for Starfox. How you can say it takes them a while to get started on consoles I really can't imagine, their first game on SNES was Donkey kong Country. Rare are a shadow of their former self and hell that's probably being a bit generous with the praise.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.