GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Originality: who cares?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 21:45
Regular
A lot of people as well as a lot of other sites claim that one day, in the future, gaming will come to an end.

I don’t believe this will happen.

What will replace gaming? What will give people the enjoyment of shooting their friend whilst not actually hurting them? Nothing.

A lot of people say that gaming will come to an end because of lack of originality. This will never happen either. Sure a lot of gaming ideas revolve around each other, but each one is different in it’s own way. Sequels may also count towards ‘lack of originality’, but hey if people didn’t like games being like this then how did the likes of Pokemon Gold/Silver, Final Fantasy, and Zelda MM get to the top? Each one of them has been in some way the same as it predecessor. And that is the reason.

It doesn’t really matter how old an idea is, as long as it a good idea it can be used over and over again, combined with new characters, better graphics and other extra features. This is what FF did and is also what Smash Brothers Melee will do – the idea was good, it generated buyers, the solution: make more of the same.

Games will use this formula until the idea has really been sucked dry, and that takes a long time. If and when that happens a new idea will be thought up, and the chain will continue. So, in 10 years will the likes of GT8, Zelda: (Episode 10) and Quake (12) still be around? Most probably yes.

Agree or disagree?

Swish
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:25
Regular
as longs as the games are worth the money im happy
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:20
Right.. been away for the best part of a week.. this looks like a good topic for me to sink me molars into...

Origionality in gaming can be one of two things:

1. Refreshing 2. Disastrous

Starting back to front... 2. Disastrous:

Games companies can worry so much about putting up their logo embossed flags on as yet uncovered ground to the extent where no-one will actually benefit from what was meant to be a revolutionary new stance for gaming. If a game is based entirely on a new concept that is set to bring a whole new perspective to gaming then chances are whichever games company it is is going to rush to get the title out. Why? So that they are the first company to get their idea on the shelves before the their 'hot on the heels' rivals get a sniff of what's cooking. This is where i think companies fall down. They do not do themselves, nor the gameplayers justice by rush-releasing a game. No amount of hype or fancy packaging will compensate for this. Especially now that there are so many magazines willing to give us the lowdown on titles that haven't even been released, on presentation of some shiny coins (in the absence of shiny coins, your local newsagent will grudgingly accept less inviting, well-worn counterparts). As an example of how origionality can go AWOL.. does anyone remember Parappa the Rappa? It was a playstation game with a difference. It was karaoke. With a touch of martial arts. Now *that* is new ground. As far as i can remember it revolved around the game player using the control pad to 'kick' and 'punch' when required, along with the music. A 'copy me' game of sorts. Trouble was, although it was great fun for anyone who picked up a demo with a PS mag... that was really all you needed: a demo. Who was going to pay full whack for a game which, although entertaining initially, was quite limited and not very lasting?

I think it has got to the stage now when many people would actually like to see some of their old favourites re-surface in more advanced capacities. I mean, we have the power of the PS2 and its 'emotion' engine.. so why not re-vamp some of the greats? For one thing if companies were to do this they could almost guarantee they would sell the games. Providing, that is, that they did the 'classics' justice. I know there are others who share this view, as it is outlined in a recent post about the lack of scrolling beat-em-up games. Remakes of great titles such as 'Golden Axe', 'Streets Of Rage', etc have been wished for. Well maybe if we screw up our eyes tight and wish real hard.. they just might hear us at Sony.

Anyhooo... the other type origionality - 1. Refreshing:

If a company has an idea and puts enough time and effort into working out the pros and cons of it.. then the results can be spectacular. Often this refreshing sort of origionality does not neccessarily come from an entirely un-fathomed gaminfg scenario, but from a revolutionary slant on a favourite game genre. Example time.. cast your minds back to the days when the Sega Megadrive was in it's prime... undoubtedly the most popular game was Sonic the Hedgehog. Now, the popularity of this game was no-doubt noted.. and soon came a fantastic new slant on this style of game. Echo the Dolphin. Similar idea, although.. the game was suffieciently different to captivate it's audience. It was very popular. They just changed the environment of the game.. it was an underwater adventure, and of course all the gameplay was completely altered because you weren't a hedgehog, you were a dolphin. So all the moves and objectives were different.

I personally think origionality is at it's best when games companies aren't trying tooo hard (yes that extra 'o' was neccesary). I think you can be origional by putting a new slant on a much favoured genre. I don't think many people mind that we are still playing beat-em-ups, shoot-em-ups, or whatever-em-ups so long as the company making the game has done us and itself justice in taking the time to get the best out of it's concept.

If you manged to make it through this far without dying from the sheer length of this post, then:

Thanks.
Wed 20/06/01 at 17:14
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Get off yer @rse and go and get one then!

Jees
Wed 20/06/01 at 17:10
Regular
I want another beer man!
Wed 20/06/01 at 17:09
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Zelda on the GC will be about number 10 probably something like 15 at the least.

And hey swish now I can spell your name.

:-)
Wed 20/06/01 at 17:07
Regular
OH yeah man.... sorry i'm too p****d to write good.
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:33
*Waits for an answer*
Wed 20/06/01 at 00:00
Sniper wrote:
> OH great bravo another 'original' topic :p

Sniper I have a challenge for you: Write a topic in the prime fog that receives 100 replies - make the topic about "Influences of different cultures in games" I.e write about how japanes cultures make it into games and things. You could win a game if it's a good topic.
Tue 19/06/01 at 23:54
Regular
Developers are always original! Here we stand saying you should be more original but they are just not to any extreme! Timesplitters death match editor was ingenius, a fresh original idea yet it is all a first person shooter something we see all the time! The idea of Perfect Dark having a face mapping system was excellent! sadly not allowed but hey it was a good idea!

Companies especially Nintendo go possibly too far by changing the face of a genre completley rather than gradual changes like others do. But Nintendo's originality allow developers to take those ideas and impliment them into their own games, originality won't run out, Films blow us away all the time and games will do the same!

Dringo
Tue 19/06/01 at 23:40
Regular
is puck a swear word? no, i like to think of it as an alternative.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.