GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Originality: who cares?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 19/06/01 at 21:45
Regular
A lot of people as well as a lot of other sites claim that one day, in the future, gaming will come to an end.

I don’t believe this will happen.

What will replace gaming? What will give people the enjoyment of shooting their friend whilst not actually hurting them? Nothing.

A lot of people say that gaming will come to an end because of lack of originality. This will never happen either. Sure a lot of gaming ideas revolve around each other, but each one is different in it’s own way. Sequels may also count towards ‘lack of originality’, but hey if people didn’t like games being like this then how did the likes of Pokemon Gold/Silver, Final Fantasy, and Zelda MM get to the top? Each one of them has been in some way the same as it predecessor. And that is the reason.

It doesn’t really matter how old an idea is, as long as it a good idea it can be used over and over again, combined with new characters, better graphics and other extra features. This is what FF did and is also what Smash Brothers Melee will do – the idea was good, it generated buyers, the solution: make more of the same.

Games will use this formula until the idea has really been sucked dry, and that takes a long time. If and when that happens a new idea will be thought up, and the chain will continue. So, in 10 years will the likes of GT8, Zelda: (Episode 10) and Quake (12) still be around? Most probably yes.

Agree or disagree?

Swish
Tue 26/06/01 at 07:52
Regular
I've seen a bit of footage of Jak and Daxter and I like the look of it. Haven't heard of Herdy Gerdy though...

Naughty Dog told everyone at E3 that they'd sold themselves to Sony. Pity realy because from what they said, I think they knew how to make a good platformer.

They're still dim though.

Didn't they know that they could triple their profits by releasing it on all 3 consoles! :-D
Mon 25/06/01 at 12:48
Regular
Something Borrowed, Something Blue!!!

Naughty Dog have openly stated they are using this technique to make one of the original games which wil be released this year, Jak and Daxter. In an interview with their top boffin he openly admitted there was a little Zelda, a little Final Fantasy and a lot of Mario, as well as the game's roots being in Crash. But the story is quite decently original, and is one of the most anticipated games on the PS2.

Herdy Gerdy onthe other hand is wholly unique, and if people do not stand up and take notice of this unbelievable game concept, then I will truely be annoyed at all of those PS2 and Ninty followers alike. This game would not look out of place in the GC launch line-up, and probably would stand out from the crowd!!!

PS - If any Ninty supporters pick on me about these games being Kiddie, then tuff!!!
Mon 25/06/01 at 12:16
Regular
"not dead"
A developer could go out and make a wholly original game, and more likely than not, it would flop.

People don't like what they don't know.

The answer to this is to 'borrow' features from other games, and develop these into new features. Have some innovations in each game, taking it on the the level that a wholly original game would have been at.

Many have criticised the GAMECUBEs lineup for being largely sequels, and therefore unoriginal. I couldn't disagree more with this.

Yes WaveRace is a sequel in the tradition sense of the word, as is Super Smash Bros: Melee, but Star Fox Adventures is nothing like the previous Star Fox games. It is a Zelda-esque adventure. Luigi's Mansion is like no other game in which he has starred.

What Nintendo appear to be doing is taking their tradition, such as their well known characters, and adding a dash of innovation, keeping the whole gaming experience fresh.

As much as I'm looking forward to original games like Eternal Darkness and Pikmin, I don't really know much about where these games come from or are going. A new Metroid title, however, is an exciting prospect. I pretty much know the history of the games, and if this is to be a prequel, then I can forsee what the game may be about.

Likewise I'm, looking forward to Super Smash Bros for the simple reason that the original was fun. I want more of the same. Something old, something new!
Sat 23/06/01 at 20:01
Sequels are the easy way out for any developer. I don't mind one or two of them, but when it gets to TR proportions, they should just stop and make something new, which, funnily enough, they are doing, in theformof galleon. Games like FIFA where every year is updated should just cover the costs of a CD if you have the original, like an update on PCs.
Sat 23/06/01 at 19:46
Sequels? Did i miss something here?
Sat 23/06/01 at 16:23
Regular
It's always an original game that makes an impact or a franchise.

All those sequels you've mentioned are based on their original prequels which made the impact.

Now the companies can make with the profits.

Originality is what keeps the industry fresh and with my ideas, it'll hopefully make mea very valuable programmer in the future :-D
Sat 23/06/01 at 16:18
...Or virtual reality suits!
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:47
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Expensive!!!
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:27
Regular
what about virtual reality machines
Sat 23/06/01 at 13:26
Yup. That was sorta my point.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.