GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Is anyone else gettin their GBA on wednesday?"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 18/06/01 at 20:53
Regular
I went to my local games shop in Tamworth (anyone know it?). With part exchange i got a glacier GBA and F-ZERO for £73. They said I could come and pick it up on the 19TH!!! Is anyone else gettin their GBA this early? Also what other game shall i get??!?!
Mon 18/06/01 at 20:53
I went to my local games shop in Tamworth (anyone know it?). With part exchange i got a glacier GBA and F-ZERO for £73. They said I could come and pick it up on the 19TH!!! Is anyone else gettin their GBA this early? Also what other game shall i get??!?!
Mon 18/06/01 at 21:12
Regular
well there is also tony hawks pro skater 2 which looks pritty cool. That konami racers game looks pritty good as well. The gameplay is supposed be just like mario kart on the snes.

how comes you gettin one on wednesday, i thought it was released on friday.
Mon 18/06/01 at 21:26
well i just sorted out what i wanted and she sed we're not sposed to sell them until friday but they are getting delivered on wednesday so u can come and pick it up then!!! yey... i might hold out for a better game ill c.
Mon 18/06/01 at 21:29
I was actually looking forward to the GBA. The actual idea has been around for ages but Nintendo had only just released the GB color so delayed it which economically was a good move for the big N. When I first heard about the GBA it sounded great! Supposed 32-bit colourful hand held console that could support a better looking mario kart than the SNES! It was also going to be internet compatitble and the ideal communication device for text messages, exanding the originality of the hand held gaming structure and leaping forward in technology with hand held online multiplayer gaming! Wow this sounds great.

However Nintendo have fallen considerably short of their 'ideas'. The GBA is not a 32-bit console, they still claimed it was when it clearly wasn't. Apparantly it has the power of a 32-bit console but can't display polygons, this means any hopes of a Star Wing or first person shooter that looks better than Doom is very unlikely. Nintendo hence cut short the ambition of the GBA meaning that developers who have in the past been very loyal to Nintendo and pushed the 8-bit GBC to realms I would not have thought possible (resident evil, GTA, MGS etc.) cannot present a new experience on the GBA appart from perhaps another Street Fighter game which will run smoothly (wow?). The third party support showed dedication to the dated 8-bit hand held GBC and it looks like we'll just be getting more of the same 2D restrictive gameplay the GB has jad to handle easily for the past 10 years.

The internet thing is unheard of now, the only thing it will connect to is the Game Cube which doesn't appear to be straight away internet compatible and so I doubt any developer is anticipating using a portable console wired to a stationary console to play online with.

The internet itself ironically is the main reason I will not be purchasing a CBA, emulators which let you play sequals to SNES classics you couldn't afford back in the good old days can be down loaded for free and played on your PC. I bought just about all the best games for my SNES and don't feel obliged to re-bye tham again in a dressed up form! Whats the point I can play on Mario All stars on my SNES when ever I want so why would I spend £35 on Mario Advance (Super Mario bros.2)? Why would I want Mario bros.2 I can play on Mario 64, and Mario 2 wasn't even supposed to be a Mario game, they just changed the main characters at the last minute so it would sell and thats why you fight some sort of frog rather than good old Bowser. Mario Adv. does appear to have Bowser replaced but why would I want to jump on his head when I can swing him around in lush 3D on my N64 (which is also now considered dated).

IT's like the new Mini, it looks like the old Mini which we are all fond of, but the original in its time was one of the most original and interesting cars of its day which makes it a classic even today. The new mini is justed a dressed up re-hash which can never make the impact of its older brother. The GB has had ten years colour or not and will not be forgotten, the GBA I feel although still the best hand held console will be considered as a gadget which gave rich gamers the chance to walk, run, jump and fly down memory lane...
Mon 18/06/01 at 21:35
oh riiiiiiiiiight good info on my post. ??? anyway i didnt have a snes or a gameboy colour. so these old classics will be new to me and there will be some original games. the whole point of things like the gba is being able to play anywhere! and at the mo its the best potable console. so thanks for your essay on reasonas for not geting a gba but it doesnt apply to everyone.
Mon 18/06/01 at 21:41
Regular
I just think of it as a portable snes. If it had a backlight i would have bought it. i would dont care about all this wormlight malarky. They just look tacky anyway. they plug into the multiplayer port anyway dont they? so how do u light up your screen when you wanna give mario kart a bash with yyour mates hey? get a flippin torch out hey?

Its not just gonna have ports of old games though. this konami racers game looks okay and i'm sure in time pokemon games will be released.
Mon 18/06/01 at 22:29
Regular
"Back For Good"
The game boy advanced looks pretty sweet even though the speaker is a fair bad place where your palm is gona completly cover it but still it's good.

Although i have more than enough money for the GBA, I'm not too keen on paying £30 for a snes/PS1 type game.Maybe when some good titles are around like res evil gaiden.

I'd get super mario all stars if it's on it because it's pure class.
Tue 19/06/01 at 11:33
Regular
Resevilfan wrote:
I'm not too keen on paying £30 for a snes/PS1 type
> game.

thats a reason why i dont want to get one. Most of the games are very similar to snes games and i can pick them up 2nd hand for less than a fiver a go. i've got all stars on the snes and yeah its class. Maybe playing it on the move could be fun. I suppose unitl i have actually held the GBA in my hand i will not be tempted to buy one. £30 for a game is far too expensive though.
Wed 20/06/01 at 14:30
Well I'll know not to write in here again, you guys don't argue with points I've raised or support your want for the GBA! My comments must have been 100% correct and you're feeling guilty for wanting a GBA!
Wed 20/06/01 at 14:52
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Juz wrote:
> Apparantly it has the power of a 32-bit console but can't display polygons.

Yes it can display polygons as the ships in F-Zero are polygons and the characters in Tony Hawks are made out of polygons. I've also seen the Yoshi Demo for GBA and that is made out of polygons.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.