GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"3D games on The GBA"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 16/06/01 at 18:53
Regular
Anyone remember Starwing for the SNES, thats was 3D so if the SNES can do it why not the GBA. Just think in a years time you could be playing Lylat Wars Advance.
Maybe we can have a series of Star Fox Adventures games on both GC and GBA. I think there is alot more to come out of the GBA, there making Doom for it so why not Perfect Dark. Doom graphics on GBA can't be bad can it?
Sun 08/07/01 at 12:36
Have a look at dark arena and Ecks vs Sever, They are awesome 1st person shoot-em-ups on the GBA. They are better than anything on the snes. Sarfox should be released on the GBA.
Sat 07/07/01 at 21:51
The SNES does not "do" raycasting, but this can be done in software (and no doubt will be). I'm pretty sure all the DOOM-type games will be done this way because this is the most efficient method (it's basically a trick for fast performance anyway, that's why it was employed in Wolfenstein in the first place).

To settle this once and for all about the GBA doing 3D, I have a GBA emulator and there are plenty of demos written by bored people which render moving 3D scenes seemingly without trouble. The only thing is they aren't textured, but that doesn't mean it can't be done. I know this doesn't mean a real GBA will be able to handle 3D and maintain a high framerate, but it shows it's not impossible.

In any case, from what I've heard the GBA can do anything a SNES can and a little more, so surely no SNES port should be impossible (except if, as tigerblade said, the cartridge had extra hardware in it).
Wed 04/07/01 at 17:43
HEY! Wait a minute..
The Gameboy advance does not use rayscaling, it uses the same `Mode 7` Nintendo technique for 3D graphics as the SNES does. Also, the reason the SNES could do 3D graphics like in Starfox was because it used an SFX chip which was contained within the cartridge. The gameboy advance HAS 2 of these inside it but the cartridge size and data compression is not quite large enough at the minute to use them but they will. We have only seen launch games, there are many MANY more to come, have faith...
Wed 04/07/01 at 15:02
Regular
SonicRav wrote:
All a 3d chip (basically) is, is
> a processor. The fact that you have one processor that allows all 3d
> graphics to be done, leaving the main CPU free to sort everything
> else out means that more polygons and better effects can be
> done.

BUT, you don't have to have a 3d chip to do 3d graphics

This is true, but everyone has now realised that for good 3D graphics you need a separate chip. PC's have dedicated cards and RAM just for 3D. The DC, PS2, X and 'Cube will all have dedicated 3D chips.

The GBA, to get good looking 3D graphics, really needs a dedicated chip to leave the main processor to sort out music, sound, AI etc.

For the GBA to have good 3D graphics the main CPU will have to work it all out, leaving less time for AI and sound etc.
Wed 04/07/01 at 12:05
Your right, it probably can. Tony Hawks looks better than any SNES game.
Wed 04/07/01 at 11:50
http://pocket.ign.com/news/30794.html

go here, it shows two 3D engines for the GBA. One is like the "rayscaling" but the other is a polygonal engine called A3D. rik-rik, if I'm wrong you can mock me all you like but I think your wrong. The GBA can pull of a better 3D engine than the snes ever could.
Tue 03/07/01 at 18:34
Like Delta force but not to such a big scale
Tue 03/07/01 at 18:19
Voxels, you mean like Delta Force or Most old novalogic games
Tue 03/07/01 at 17:21
Tyranasaurus Tex doen't use polygons neither does any of the other first person shoot'em ups of the GBA, they use a technique called rayscaling. "Raycasting is:
Graphics technique used in Doom where a number of rays (or lines) where drawn from the current position out to the obstacles they would encounter. The distance of the line and the surface they hit would determine what would be drawn to the screen.
If there was a 320x240 sized screen, there would be 320 rays cast out to get a sliver for each pixel of the screen."

The GBA can't do polygons, instead they use voxels which are a completely different medium but gives a similar effect.
Tue 03/07/01 at 17:11
Regular
"tinycurve.gif"
I remember reading about a game called Tyranosaurus Tex on the GBC. That was 3D and it worked very smoothly. Yes it's true there was only a few levels, but if GBC can do it, then so can GBA. The developers just have to try and break the barriers like they did with the SNES, N64 and any other consoles I can think of!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.