GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"p2p networks"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 06/09/04 at 12:27
"everyone must die!"
My favourite p2p network is Morpheus which i use regularly. The only problem is that when i click to download sum thing it rarely starts downloading. Usually says "source has gone offline" is there n e way that i can get more succesful downloads or does the program tell you what downloads to start and will get finished? Is there n e other better p2p networks?
Thanks
Wed 08/09/04 at 22:44
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> Thanks adrian.
>
> There's a plug-in version available; plugin for what, exactly?

Not sure what the plug-in version is.
Wed 08/09/04 at 13:33
Regular
Thanks adrian.

There's a plug-in version available; plugin for what, exactly?
Wed 08/09/04 at 11:34
"The Will of D."
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> So what does the BitTornado app do exactly?

It's BitTorrent.
Wed 08/09/04 at 09:13
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
Icarus mk2 wrote:
> So what does the BitTornado app do exactly?

Bit Tornado is a client which is based on Bit Torrent. Its basically an advanced version of the official client, and offers upload speed limiting and other things.

Bit Tornado like all other Bit Torrent clients install on your computer and are mostly hidden, Azureus is not hidden and is more of a traditional Windows GUI program.

Once installed you can then click on any .torrent link that you may find and it will bring up a save box and the Bit Torrent client itself, for example Bit Torando. You then download the file/s that are linked to that .torrent link via the seeders and peers.

Shareaza can be used for Bit Torrent so you dont actually need a Bit Torrent specific client if you dont want, but having one like Bit Tornado is beneficial as you can limit the upload.
Wed 08/09/04 at 09:08
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
PsYİHo FoX 1987 wrote:
> What about WINMX where you can select certain files off your comp to
> share over the network, what about protecting the comp against
> hackers that have had ages to work a way through the firewalls that
> anybody can get, what then?

WinMx is just like Kazaa, you can share what files you want, so if you want to share a virus you can, but people downloading from you should have some sense to scan for viruses.

Firewalls do protect you as even if someone sends you a trojan which you dont know about the Firewall will pick it up. On the Internet there are people that just spend time searching for IP addresses to try and send viruses trojans etc, theres many machines on the Internet that are affected and in turn try to do the same thing.

Using p2p is not going to change this, and doesnt add much more hazard to yourself. I have been using p2p for well over 3 years and in all that time I have never downloaded a virus or been infected some how. If you dont virus scan files when you download them, then your adding the same sort of risk to your system than not running a Firewall.
Wed 08/09/04 at 02:23
Regular
So what does the BitTornado app do exactly?
Wed 08/09/04 at 00:54
"The Will of D."
What about WINMX where you can select certain files off your comp to share over the network, what about protecting the comp against hackers that have had ages to work a way through the firewalls that anybody can get, what then?
Tue 07/09/04 at 23:22
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
cookie monster wrote:
> Ah, thats what i thought the difference between bittorrent and kazaa
> was. Bittorrent allowing you to download different parts from
> different users, while kazaa was just you downloading directly from
> someone else.

If Kazaa was just one person sending a file it would be damn slow. Imagine only 1 person sending you a 100mb file at 2K/s.

The bad thing with programs like Kazaa is that you dont share any of your bits you have downloaded so you could have 99.9% of the file and yet not upload any.

Looking at Shareaza I was uploading a file that I was also downloading which is good. Bit Torrent is the same as there only might be 1 seed who has the file with 20 leechers and yet the 20 leechers can get good speeds due to them sharing files between themselves.

To PsYİHo FoX 1987 p2p is not unsafe its the people that use it that are unsafe. As Mode said its stupid people who download files with hidden extensions, or who download files and dont check for viruses. Kazaa and other similar networks are prone to these viruses because anyone can share a file and name it to something that people would want to download.

Bit Torrent is pretty much safe as you only are getting one file which is usually fine as others wouldnt seed it. Been using Bit Torrent for a good year now, if not longer and have not had a problem. When I was using Kazaa over 2 years ago I had been using it for a good 2 or 3 years and never had a problem. With Kazaa a few files were viruses, but as I did a virus scan first then the files didnt infect my system. Scanning the files first should be pretty much instinct. Every file I download whether it be from Bit Torrent, Microsoft or any other legitimate company I always check the files with a virus scanner.
Tue 07/09/04 at 18:50
Regular
cookie monster wrote:
> PsYİHo FoX 1987 wrote:
> Don't use P2P. That's my advice, other wsie no matter how much they
> tell you it's safe you always get virus' and trojan horses through
> your firewall.
>
> It's perfectly safe with the appropriate protection.

True, unless you are some kind of idiot who downloads:

Hotnakedbabe.jpg .exe

P2P sucks and as soon as i start my client up i am searching for ages for the file i want.
Tue 07/09/04 at 18:34
Regular
"+34 Intellect"
PsYİHo FoX 1987 wrote:
> Don't use P2P. That's my advice, other wsie no matter how much they
> tell you it's safe you always get virus' and trojan horses through
> your firewall.

It's perfectly safe with the appropriate protection.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Second to none...
So far the services you provide are second to none. Keep up the good work.
Andy

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.