GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stats - This has GOT to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
Wondered why I haven't been posting lately? The answer is spam, there's WAY too much of it. People are now posting just to they can quickly flick to their stats and see how many figures are in the numbers after their name.

Content has now gone out the window, you post a topic and withing seconds there are another 7 posts on top of it, noone actually reads what you write anymore.

I used to come here to read about peoples thoughts on games, what the future may hold, the 'discussions' on the merits of one console over another, it used to be fun.

Now all we get are posters putting their thoughts about other posters, what their own futures may hold, and 'discussions' on who's got the highest wordcount and what the averages should be.

This quote from one of DanUK's posts summed it up for me:

"Word count: Now, at least some good has come out of this for me, as my word count now appears to be at the correct amount, after I shrivlessly complained that there was a system fault, and I now sit in 5th place overall for my word count, which is actually important."

Important? What about Sega/Nintendo/X-Box/Sony etc.? What about VR? RPGs? Squaresoft? Capcom? EIDOS? EA? What about the Future of Gaming?

The simple solution is to just do away with stats altogether, this throws away all incentive for spammers if they can see no result at the end of the day for all their hard spamming. Then maybe we can get back to what this forum was all about in the first place.

The only drawback to this is sales for SR, but would it really affect sales that much if you weeded out the spammers?
Fri 15/06/01 at 21:03
FM - d'you know WHY the quality has gone down? It's because you left.
Fri 15/06/01 at 21:02
Yeah - don't blame DanUK - a bit hypocrytical ay FM? 'Nobody reads what people write anymore'.

Easy mistake though.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:57
Regular
""
We put in good Quality messages just for fun or even because we're trying to get a question answered or start a debate but not just to raise our stats!
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:54
Regular
FantasyMeister wrote:

This quote from one of DanUK's posts summed
> it up for me:

"Word count: Now, at least some good has come
> out of this for me, as my word count now appears to be at the
> correct amount, after I shrivlessly complained that there was a
> system fault, and I now sit in 5th place overall for my word count,
> which is actually important."

DanUk.

I think that it was Dan2K1.

1. I don't care for the stats.
2. I never wrote that anyway
3. Dan2K1 has the huge wordcount over his DC posts

etc.

I won't want a wrong reputation as being a spam poster.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:39
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Codejunkies had an initial "Shoot The Newbie" trial period for it's first month which was very effective, although illegal.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:36
Regular
The stats thing has been fine on Codejunkies.....dunno what went wrong on here!
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:00
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Welcome back Fantasy Meister.

There was a big debate on this issue last weekend. Resulted in Newbies losing the ability to start new topics on FOG (prime forums).

We also raised the word limit and set a 21 day minimum to achieve regular status.

I have not heard anybody accuse RastaBillySkank of spamming, yet his count is up the top there. Am I wrong?

Yes - spamming does go on, but we will gradually take the measures necessary to reduce it.

er-no, we will not get into a situation where there is a selection procedure. It could never be fair.
Fri 15/06/01 at 18:09
*A newbie arrives to FOG. he then gets taken the trifle out of and spams until he is a regular. Then his new aim is to get to number one in the postsers list and it goes on..
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:47
thats not fair er-no!

Y shoould i not be allowed into that forum! I am good at postin!
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:38
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry, I am going to cry.

This will not be fair as I do not SPAM really. You will probably throw the fact that I have about 400 posts in 15 days but I was not SPAMMING I was either talking about games or discussing Games mags.

I would obviously not even be considered to be in this new forum if it is ever created as not many people realise that I have a wealth of gaming knowledge, but if you ask me a gaming question I am more than likely to be able to discuss what I think about it.

If this forum is ever made please would one of the Notables consider naming me as a "SPECIAL" case that you would allow in.

(;o( Sad that IU am begging. Oh the shame, the shame.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.