GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stats - This has GOT to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
Wondered why I haven't been posting lately? The answer is spam, there's WAY too much of it. People are now posting just to they can quickly flick to their stats and see how many figures are in the numbers after their name.

Content has now gone out the window, you post a topic and withing seconds there are another 7 posts on top of it, noone actually reads what you write anymore.

I used to come here to read about peoples thoughts on games, what the future may hold, the 'discussions' on the merits of one console over another, it used to be fun.

Now all we get are posters putting their thoughts about other posters, what their own futures may hold, and 'discussions' on who's got the highest wordcount and what the averages should be.

This quote from one of DanUK's posts summed it up for me:

"Word count: Now, at least some good has come out of this for me, as my word count now appears to be at the correct amount, after I shrivlessly complained that there was a system fault, and I now sit in 5th place overall for my word count, which is actually important."

Important? What about Sega/Nintendo/X-Box/Sony etc.? What about VR? RPGs? Squaresoft? Capcom? EIDOS? EA? What about the Future of Gaming?

The simple solution is to just do away with stats altogether, this throws away all incentive for spammers if they can see no result at the end of the day for all their hard spamming. Then maybe we can get back to what this forum was all about in the first place.

The only drawback to this is sales for SR, but would it really affect sales that much if you weeded out the spammers?
Sat 16/06/01 at 21:32
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Hang on - Hasn't this topic just given us 'Spammers' or 'Newbies' more incentive and space to 'spam' up this site to get tho Regular status?
Sat 16/06/01 at 21:31
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Although some are here to get to regular -look at me - over 100 days as a member on this site, and yet I am still 80 messages off Regualr satus (from this message)

-----------

*onjly 80 to go - keep going Cycone, come on*
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:34
Regular
"Hoo Har"
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Go away Newbie...

Prodders are like racsits. RBS many people look up to you, but to me your a worthless peice of t*rd that i accidently trod on, this is not the place for proddig, if you have to SR has a chat room for that!!!
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
... Sorry couldn't resist that :-D
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:18
Regular
"You've upset me"
Go away Newbie...
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:16
Regular
"Hoo Har"
I think were all going to have to ignore this spannig, many people on FOG want to chat about games, others want to messaround. I feel that i have improved with my posting and not doing so many topics.

Say theres a JAT, he will spam. And then soon get rid of it and learn it's boring. And then there'll be another JAT that spams and so and so...

FOG is growing and we got to get used to it!
Fri 15/06/01 at 22:00
Regular
"You've upset me"
SHEEPY wrote:

I have noticed RBS go
> on his spamming sprees in secret but hey I like what he posts etc.
> It is usually funny spamming but spamming is bad all the same

I'd just like to point out here that I ONLY spam on the WLT.
. err...yeah.... there's no need to check that or anything though becuase it IS the truth so don't bother going to clarify it... err...hmmm... yeah.... bye! *slips inconspicuously out of the window with Robin at his side*

;-D
Fri 15/06/01 at 21:58
Regular
Im surpirsed this whole spamming argument didn't occur ages ago. Admittedly stats weren't an issue then, it was months ago that the standard of some peoples input declined and as a result it was about 3 or 4 months before I started posting again as I got really annoyed at searching for hours to find something interesting/amusing I hope people will take note of these complaints and improve the standard of some of their posts.
Fri 15/06/01 at 21:52
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Tony wrote:
> Welcome back Fantasy Meister.

I have not
> heard anybody accuse RastaBillySkank of spamming, yet his count is
> up the top there. Am I wrong?

I have noticed RBS go on his spamming sprees in secret but hey I like what he posts etc. It is usually funny spamming but spamming is bad all the same

Ach Baws, I'm nackered!
Fri 15/06/01 at 21:08
FM - when there's nothing else, stats are all some have. Freezing Man.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.