GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Stats - This has GOT to stop"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
Wondered why I haven't been posting lately? The answer is spam, there's WAY too much of it. People are now posting just to they can quickly flick to their stats and see how many figures are in the numbers after their name.

Content has now gone out the window, you post a topic and withing seconds there are another 7 posts on top of it, noone actually reads what you write anymore.

I used to come here to read about peoples thoughts on games, what the future may hold, the 'discussions' on the merits of one console over another, it used to be fun.

Now all we get are posters putting their thoughts about other posters, what their own futures may hold, and 'discussions' on who's got the highest wordcount and what the averages should be.

This quote from one of DanUK's posts summed it up for me:

"Word count: Now, at least some good has come out of this for me, as my word count now appears to be at the correct amount, after I shrivlessly complained that there was a system fault, and I now sit in 5th place overall for my word count, which is actually important."

Important? What about Sega/Nintendo/X-Box/Sony etc.? What about VR? RPGs? Squaresoft? Capcom? EIDOS? EA? What about the Future of Gaming?

The simple solution is to just do away with stats altogether, this throws away all incentive for spammers if they can see no result at the end of the day for all their hard spamming. Then maybe we can get back to what this forum was all about in the first place.

The only drawback to this is sales for SR, but would it really affect sales that much if you weeded out the spammers?
Fri 15/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
"Copyright: FM Inc."
Wondered why I haven't been posting lately? The answer is spam, there's WAY too much of it. People are now posting just to they can quickly flick to their stats and see how many figures are in the numbers after their name.

Content has now gone out the window, you post a topic and withing seconds there are another 7 posts on top of it, noone actually reads what you write anymore.

I used to come here to read about peoples thoughts on games, what the future may hold, the 'discussions' on the merits of one console over another, it used to be fun.

Now all we get are posters putting their thoughts about other posters, what their own futures may hold, and 'discussions' on who's got the highest wordcount and what the averages should be.

This quote from one of DanUK's posts summed it up for me:

"Word count: Now, at least some good has come out of this for me, as my word count now appears to be at the correct amount, after I shrivlessly complained that there was a system fault, and I now sit in 5th place overall for my word count, which is actually important."

Important? What about Sega/Nintendo/X-Box/Sony etc.? What about VR? RPGs? Squaresoft? Capcom? EIDOS? EA? What about the Future of Gaming?

The simple solution is to just do away with stats altogether, this throws away all incentive for spammers if they can see no result at the end of the day for all their hard spamming. Then maybe we can get back to what this forum was all about in the first place.

The only drawback to this is sales for SR, but would it really affect sales that much if you weeded out the spammers?
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:02
Regular
No FM it's 'Planetarion'
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:04
I'm afraid I can't reply agreeing with you, because at the moment I'm quite guilty of posting under this username to turn this into a 'regular'.

However... I am not spamming. If you want to see spam, look at people who CONSISTANTLY post reply quoting. I expect someone will do it now, just to prove how pathetic their sense of humour is.

The point remains however, that there are TOO many posts on here with no enough content. It went up for a while a few days back, like I expected it too, but since then it's gone straight back downhill again. We now see the problem isn't just the newbies, but the regulars as well how still can't see beyond their noses at how pathetic some of their posts are on THIS forum.

The chat forum, can have anything on it, in my opinion. It may get cluttered, but I believe that should be the only forum that should be allowed to be so.

But then, THIS topic should have been in the chat forum too. But we'll see how serious this topic gets.
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:17
Regular
"everyone says it"
Its about time Tony took my plan into action...

I will pop it, and you should read it Fantasy!
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:21
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
Glad to see the return of one of the Notables. Fm everyone (well all the regs) have been wanting you to come back.

I am a Newbie and i post a lot, but it is not just for the stats. Okay it feels nice to know how many times you have posted, but I think the real reason SPAM has gone up is the fact that no really good threads have been started recently. his just leaves everyone to blab on about whatever they are thinking at that time.

Also it is not only Newbies that can be accused of SPAM. A lot of the regulars do to but I have only noticed this recently. As you can see I have not been here a long time but in the short time I have been here I have noticed a big change.

When I first arrived everyone was posting relevant multi-paragraphed posts and they were all great to read. There was absolutely no "Hi my names Bob" posts. I felt that I had to discuss my points with everyone as well as they had many good arguements in their posts, some I agreed with and would back up and some that I did not that I would try to convince people what I thought.

It was a brilliant place and I was on here every day. I have not been on for about 5 days which may not seem like a long time but it was not totally to do with me getting CBFD. One of the reasons was the fact that no one was posting anything worth reading anymore. I didn't really have the same urge to come on here and discuss my views.

Anyways that is my take on the subject.

(;o) Happy I have got my views across.
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:22
Regular
"everyone says it"
I wrote this on 10/06/2001 at 6.54PM

''I would like to release my idea for a forum that would solve and increase the quality of all the forums....

The new forum will only have the 'real' regulars in it, these regulars can post topics, replies and opinions as they please, these 'real' regulars are users who Tony feels don't post spam or ruin the quality of topics. The forum will be readable by other regulars and newbies, but they can not contribute.

What will make this forum special is the fact that every so often a selection of users from the other forums will have a chance to post in the new forum and if they don't muck around they can have the privilage of staying there. I think with this we would see an increase of the quality of the current FOG's as users will want to get into the new forum and talk gaming with the likes of pb, Edgy, Ant, RBS etc...

For it to work though the users who are allowed will still have to contribute to the current FOG, and reply to newbies topics and posts, this will cause it still to be like it is today but with the bonus of the new forum for users to relax and talk serious gaming in.

Come on, it would work, as long as the 'real' regulars still post in the current forums. ''

Tony replied with:

''It's not a bad idea er-no but it would be a real pain trying to work our who was in and who was out.

And there would be a lot of arguments.''

I think maybe the notables should decide who goes into the forums, its really only the newbies who cause the problems of spamming and with this forum idea, the REAL regulars wouldn't have the problem...

Think.
er-no
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:38
Regular
"MJ:Newbie Hunter!"
I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry, I am not going to cry, I am going to cry.

This will not be fair as I do not SPAM really. You will probably throw the fact that I have about 400 posts in 15 days but I was not SPAMMING I was either talking about games or discussing Games mags.

I would obviously not even be considered to be in this new forum if it is ever created as not many people realise that I have a wealth of gaming knowledge, but if you ask me a gaming question I am more than likely to be able to discuss what I think about it.

If this forum is ever made please would one of the Notables consider naming me as a "SPECIAL" case that you would allow in.

(;o( Sad that IU am begging. Oh the shame, the shame.
Fri 15/06/01 at 17:47
thats not fair er-no!

Y shoould i not be allowed into that forum! I am good at postin!
Fri 15/06/01 at 18:09
*A newbie arrives to FOG. he then gets taken the trifle out of and spams until he is a regular. Then his new aim is to get to number one in the postsers list and it goes on..
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:00
Staff Moderator
"Must lose weight"
Welcome back Fantasy Meister.

There was a big debate on this issue last weekend. Resulted in Newbies losing the ability to start new topics on FOG (prime forums).

We also raised the word limit and set a 21 day minimum to achieve regular status.

I have not heard anybody accuse RastaBillySkank of spamming, yet his count is up the top there. Am I wrong?

Yes - spamming does go on, but we will gradually take the measures necessary to reduce it.

er-no, we will not get into a situation where there is a selection procedure. It could never be fair.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Easy and free service!
I think it's fab that you provide an easy-to-follow service, and even better that it's free...!
Cerrie
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.