GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games magazines."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 13:54
Regular
Ok, this post may seem a bit "bitty" and not quite together, but i've had a few thoughts on games magazines generally and though i'd put them all together in one easy to read post.

PC Games magazines: How many games magazines give games higher marks than they deserve to get exclusive reviews and demo's? I've seen a number of games get high marks, 85%+ in one magazine, but lowish marks, 60%ish, in another. Is this difference just down to the differences in taste between the reviewers or is something else going on?

Console Games Mags: Why is it that only the Official DreamCast magazine has a demo disc on? I havent owned a PSX or PS2, but is it the same with Sony? Is it only the Official Sony magazines that have demo discs?

If so, why? Do they make sure that the official magazine is the only one with a cover disc just so people buy it? Do they think that if all the magazines had cover discs then no-one would buy the official one as they think it's biased?

I first bought the Official DC Mag because it had the demo disc. After reading it, i realised that it wasn't biased at all and it was very neutral. Do other people think the same? Are Sega, Sony etc worried that others may not agree and buy an independant mag if they all had demo discs?

Also, do independant magazines need authorisation to from Sega/Sony to have a demo disc? Can't they just approach some publishers and set up deals between themselves?

Also, does anyone know if there will be a GBA only magazine or will i have to buy a general Nintendo mag?

I know that there are more questions then answers here, so please fill in the gaps!
Fri 15/06/01 at 20:04
Regular
"Back For Good"
Offical playstation 2 demos suck, the videos I've all seen before and 2 demo's, one which everyone has already and the other wasn't bad but at £5 you can buy a platinum PS game, The Magazine wasn't anything special either and what's the deal of saying availible now when they flipping aren't, one which i've had since like january says gran turismo 3 is availible now.

I prefer PSW and PSM2 for their wicked DVD videos, previews,reviews and movie traliers.

The Offical PS demo disk isn't bad but still at £5 it's a complete rip off, in America they got things like game saves and loads of other werid funky stuff.We had the free net yaroze game which made it slightly better but half of them were garbage.

My advice, save your money for games instead of demos.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:52
There was a GBA only magazine released today - can't remember the name of it though.

It didn't look that promising - only a limited number of reviews of games already reviewed in all the other mags. It did have a cheats section for the games, but I'm against cheats so didn't read them.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:40
Regular
Pb, yeah it would be good to have a GBA mag with demo cartridge but it will never happen.

I remember reading an N64 mag and someone had written it asking why they didn't have a demo cartridge, the reply was that they could but the magazine would have to cost £25!!!!!

Admittedly the GBA cartridges are smaller and the price of cartridges may have dropped as all technology does over time, but the magazine could still be £10-15 a month!
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:32
"possibly impossible"
Why do only official magazines have a demo disc?

Well, partly it's cost. The cost of producing a GD-ROM especially for the Dreamcast would mean that less money was spent on the magazine, or that the cost of the mag would have to be raised. This is obviously subsidised by the Console companies so that the official mags can carry exclusive demos.

Only when another company approaches the other magazines, for instance the Action Replay producers making the disc for DC:UK, can the other companies hope to provide a coverdisc without damaging their profit margins.

Also, securing Demos from console developers is supposed to be an ardeous task, meaning that a lot of console mags don't see the point in spending a lot of time trying to wrangle another demo just to fill an already expensive DVD or GDROM.

PC cover discs are different. Demos have always been available on the PC and magazines can't move for offers from games companies wanting to promote their new games. The discs are standard CDs, so the cost of producing them is low too, most people can produce these on their home PCs, so they have to be pretty easy to make for a publishing company.

Now what I'd like to see, but probably won't, is a GBA magazine with a demo cartridge on it, perhaps having 1 level each from 4-5 new games that are due out. Wouldn't that be nice?
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:26
Regular
datel are making a Game Boy Advance mag called GBX. It should be out in the shops soon....

...It's called GBX

The same name as the new GBA action replay cheat cart :)
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:25
Regular
""
I reckon that with the NOM magazine they with put in a second suplement just for the GBA but it might jack up the price!
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:16
Regular
on the question about GBA magazine. i know that in offical nintendo magazine they give a mini-mag inside the middle which is devoted to the gameboy with reviews,cheats and the like.
Fri 15/06/01 at 19:14
Regular
"Whatever!"
Would agree, demo disc rather poor - How many times do we need to play Moto GP??
Fri 15/06/01 at 14:02
Yeah the official ps2 mag is alright but the disc is often VERY lame,hardly anything playable,best demo.....GT3
Fri 15/06/01 at 14:00
Regular
This is true, only the Official Ps2 mag has a demo disc, but PSM2 is one of the best magazines for fairness I have read for a while, but then again, Edge is still the best!!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.