GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games magazines."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 13:54
Regular
Ok, this post may seem a bit "bitty" and not quite together, but i've had a few thoughts on games magazines generally and though i'd put them all together in one easy to read post.

PC Games magazines: How many games magazines give games higher marks than they deserve to get exclusive reviews and demo's? I've seen a number of games get high marks, 85%+ in one magazine, but lowish marks, 60%ish, in another. Is this difference just down to the differences in taste between the reviewers or is something else going on?

Console Games Mags: Why is it that only the Official DreamCast magazine has a demo disc on? I havent owned a PSX or PS2, but is it the same with Sony? Is it only the Official Sony magazines that have demo discs?

If so, why? Do they make sure that the official magazine is the only one with a cover disc just so people buy it? Do they think that if all the magazines had cover discs then no-one would buy the official one as they think it's biased?

I first bought the Official DC Mag because it had the demo disc. After reading it, i realised that it wasn't biased at all and it was very neutral. Do other people think the same? Are Sega, Sony etc worried that others may not agree and buy an independant mag if they all had demo discs?

Also, do independant magazines need authorisation to from Sega/Sony to have a demo disc? Can't they just approach some publishers and set up deals between themselves?

Also, does anyone know if there will be a GBA only magazine or will i have to buy a general Nintendo mag?

I know that there are more questions then answers here, so please fill in the gaps!
Mon 18/06/01 at 18:30
Yeah, but notice that they are the only mag to devote loads of their pages to a really good review of all the E3 show unlike others that just show one or two pictures.

Everyone knows that the N64 is drying out and soon there will be no games left to review. They'll have to change the name of their mag soon i think.
Mon 18/06/01 at 17:56
I think N64 Magazine has gone downhill since the number of games released started to decrease. This month they don't even have a single UK N64 review
Mon 18/06/01 at 13:23
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
I got PSW a couple of times, but I mainly get PSM2 (for the reviews) and the Official one (for the demo). Its cool to be able to play the games before you buy them, and though a fiver seems a rip off its better to spend a fiver than £40 on finding out a game is pants.

PSM2 is the best one though, new Dojo section with the monthly challenges is excellent (though i am never good enough to do them...)

how on earth are you supposed to get over 600,000 on SSX pipedream? anyone?
Sat 16/06/01 at 20:34
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yeah and it does give the news but reviews r naff
Sat 16/06/01 at 18:07
NOM magazine does have good cheats and tips though!
Sat 16/06/01 at 18:06
I used to buy NOM frequently but now it is so bad. There are only 98 pages and most of them are filled with double page spread pictures and a tiny caption in the corner.

N64 magazine on the other hand, has loads of pages filled with text that is worth reading and still has room for pictures and extra stuff etc.

Why don't NOM increase their number of pages, or get rid of their 6 page Pokemon special?
They also definately overrate games like Power Rangers where NOM gave it 82%, N64 gave it 8% and 64 magazine even gave it -25%!! The first ever game into negative numbers!

FREE GIFTS: N64 frequently give you amazing game guides filled with advice meaning that they don't need to pad out their mag with 20 page guides.

NOM give you Pokemon stickers or Wrestling Postcards.
This is fine if you like these sort of things.

Also NOM are frequently making their mag's price creep up by a penny or two each month, thinking that we don't notice!
Why increase the price when the mag is increasing in rubbish!
Sat 16/06/01 at 17:20
"I love yo... lamp."
I regularly buy N64 Magazine as I think their reviews are normally quite reliable. I don' think NOM is that good but occasionally I'll buy it for cheats tips and anything else that helps me get more from the games. Incidentally unless its changed since the last time I bought it NOM gives scores as % rather than out of 10.
Biggles
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:13
Regular
"You've upset me"
It's why I read 64 Magazine. The reviews are extremely funny and some of the caoptions they've put have literally had me rolling on the floor in a fit of laughter!
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:08
Regular
Yea, the humour is a big part. Thats why i like reading PC Zone, the reviewers have a sense of humour which helps make the reviews interesting. Some of the captions they put under the screen shots are hilarious!
Sat 16/06/01 at 16:01
Regular
"You've upset me"
Honesty and humour :-D

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.