GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Games magazines."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/06/01 at 13:54
Regular
Ok, this post may seem a bit "bitty" and not quite together, but i've had a few thoughts on games magazines generally and though i'd put them all together in one easy to read post.

PC Games magazines: How many games magazines give games higher marks than they deserve to get exclusive reviews and demo's? I've seen a number of games get high marks, 85%+ in one magazine, but lowish marks, 60%ish, in another. Is this difference just down to the differences in taste between the reviewers or is something else going on?

Console Games Mags: Why is it that only the Official DreamCast magazine has a demo disc on? I havent owned a PSX or PS2, but is it the same with Sony? Is it only the Official Sony magazines that have demo discs?

If so, why? Do they make sure that the official magazine is the only one with a cover disc just so people buy it? Do they think that if all the magazines had cover discs then no-one would buy the official one as they think it's biased?

I first bought the Official DC Mag because it had the demo disc. After reading it, i realised that it wasn't biased at all and it was very neutral. Do other people think the same? Are Sega, Sony etc worried that others may not agree and buy an independant mag if they all had demo discs?

Also, do independant magazines need authorisation to from Sega/Sony to have a demo disc? Can't they just approach some publishers and set up deals between themselves?

Also, does anyone know if there will be a GBA only magazine or will i have to buy a general Nintendo mag?

I know that there are more questions then answers here, so please fill in the gaps!
Wed 20/06/01 at 21:21
Regular
"Jim Jam Jim"
I've seen 2 GBA game only mags. One is the GBX and theres another but I cant remember the name.
Wed 20/06/01 at 21:13
They'll probably start to combine the GBA and GBC mags in the ONOM mag definatly.
Wed 20/06/01 at 15:52
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
I hope there is a separte GBA mag like there are unofficail GBC mags but the official one is in the NOM mag, probably where the GBA will be.

But you will PROBABLY be able to buy unofficial mags of it. I can't wait for the first GC mag!
Wed 20/06/01 at 13:49
Regular
pb wrote:
> Is Duncan McDonald still writing for PC Zone or other mags?

He's
> hilarious, and just a tiny bit crazy.

No, he doesnt write for them any more. Charlie Brooker was hilarious as well, but he's also left.

He's done a really funny site, i'm not sure if i should put the address up as the site is rude, but it's damn funny!

Email me or get me on MSN if you want the address.
Wed 20/06/01 at 07:29
Regular
Just to let you all know....

GBX, Datels Game Boy Advance magazine, is supposed to have a free video with it! I think it's every month which will feature clips from upcoming GBA titles!
Tue 19/06/01 at 14:07
"possibly impossible"
Is Duncan McDonald still writing for PC Zone or other mags?

He's hilarious, and just a tiny bit crazy.
Mon 18/06/01 at 19:38
Regular
Some PSX magazines do give demo disks, but I know for certain that they are often for pretty old games. I play the PC mostly, so it isn't really a problems; there is no "official" magazine.
Mon 18/06/01 at 18:58
Oh yeah, and I'm glad they got rid of that editor Andrea. I reckon she really doesn't know anything about computer games, other than the fact that everything nintendo makes is great. Only the Welsh Wonder that is Geraint provides honest reviews in N64 Mag nowadays.
Mon 18/06/01 at 18:55
Sorry to sound off topic, but have you seen the screenshots of the new Dinosaur Planet in N64 Mag? Wow!!!
Mon 18/06/01 at 18:40
N64 Magazine has some of the best writers and the Magazine has a well presented layout. When/If they upgrade to a GC magazine i'll be first to subscribe

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.