GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Got my X-box"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 15/09/04 at 11:52
Regular
With Halo, Project Gotham Racing and Grabbed by the Gholies.

It's a bloody chunky thing isn't it.

I haven't got LIVE yet but I might not, I'm not entirely sure this is a good purchase. I've played all 3 games a bit but I keep going back to Second Sight on the Gamecube.

As a Gamecube owner I do miss a really good First Person shooter, and as great as Timesplitters is the idea of owning Halo was something I couldn't resist. I also miss out on realistic racing games as a Gamecube owner.

The sad thing is, now I've played 2 games that are the top of their genre I now feel slightly empty.

For starters Project Gotham is a good racing title but I've never really been able to enjoy these sort of games.

Grabbed by the Gholies is as crap as I remember.

I played Halo for a bit but I've come to realise that this is just another FPS. And one that doesn't have the depth of Perfect Dark either. It is the finest all round FPS of this generation but it doesn't do anything special at all. In fact at times I felt the urge to play Metroid Prime, something I haven't done in an age.

Anyway enough about the criticism, I'm sure I'll get into all of the above games and I'm sure I'll enjoy Blinx, The Suffering, Jet Set Radio: Future and whatever else my mate plans to lend me.

The console has 3 weeks to impress or it goes back. Mainly because of my 30 day no quibble return policy.
Wed 15/09/04 at 14:24
Regular
The computer bot AI in deathmatch and gun animations were a massive step back.

Was an excellent game all the same.
Wed 15/09/04 at 14:27
Regular
I don't think they were a step back, more a different direction.

They weren't less technically developed, just that Timesplitters has gone for a more cartoon rag-doll approach now that the hardware allows it.

Better technology, but not necessarily better results.

don't think Perfect dark would have had a very advanced physics engine, everything would have been animated by an artist, not worked out mathematicaly by the physics engine.
Wed 15/09/04 at 14:32
"I love yo... lamp."
Well Dringo, welcome to the dark green side.

I'd recommend getting PGR2 - far better than PGR. I love it, my most played game since Goldeneye. Burnout 3 is also worth picking up. Great single player, even if multi is a bit screwed up at the moment.

I know RS3 is on the Cube, but if you get Live, it is worth getting.

Crimson Skies is also worth the £25 or so. One of the most underrated games around. Not much replay value for the single player, but multi is great and even better if you have Live as there is quite a lot of content for it.

Jet Set Radio Future. Better than Jet Set Radio, quite an achievement.

One of the things you have to remember about Halo is that is now 2 and a half years old. Back then, it really was immensely above everything else out.

And if you really wanted to get into the swing of things, you could trade Mario Kart for Crash Nitro Kart. No? Why ever not?!
Wed 15/09/04 at 15:40
Regular
Lol, I've been playing Halo more. I'll grant you the game is immense, just a fun as games like Beyond Good and Evil etc...

But again does it do anything that hasn't been done before.

I've played Timesplitters 2 to death Bonus, I do prefer that game yes.

I'm not a fan of Burnout so I wouldn't want the third, and I don't think PGR is my thing.
Wed 15/09/04 at 15:45
"I love yo... lamp."
Give PGR2 a go before you decide on that. I can't emphasise enough how much better than PGR it is.
Wed 15/09/04 at 16:03
Regular
"8==="
Use your Xbox for multiformat titles to make use of the HD, take a look at Gladius, Morrowind, Serious Sam, Max Payne and Thief 3.

Since you're a Timesplitters fan I expect Return To Castle Wolfenstein would also appeal, especially as after the first chapter it really does go all 'Goldeneye', with sniping from dams and over airfields etc. :)
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:35
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Daveus wrote:
>£40 is a great deal, but they don't mention
> that you need to spend like another £100 or so on other stuff
> to make it all work.

Ethernet cable - £6
Router (Optional) - £40 at most
Live - £30 online
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:44
Bit pricey for an ethernet cable.
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:48
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
Thats for about 15m, £6 at most.
Wed 15/09/04 at 18:48
Regular
"Aimar...meh"
On another note, when are you moving back to Uni with that 10mb connection? Im getting my Live in a couple of days.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.