GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Pushing harware to the MAX!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 13/06/01 at 09:55
Regular
In addition to my "the next level" topic, here is something allong the same lines that merits a new topic:

Another thing that Ninty always pull off on their consoles, is to make them do things that they were never meant to. For example, the SNES was NEVER meant to handle 3d polygon graphics... but Ninty found ways to do this and pull off Starfox. With the N64, Ninty introudced the expansion pack to allow games to increase textures and the like.

What will they pull off with the GC? Obviously it is impossible to forsee, but if I were Ninty then I might be thinking about motion sensors... or even some kind of internet updates like a digicam.

Sonic
Fri 15/06/01 at 10:34
Regular
It was an Xbox post, so if we ask Dan, he doesn't have a hope of winning, does he Dan??

LOL
Thu 14/06/01 at 20:00
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
V. good post YH... worthy of a GAD!

Sonic
Thu 14/06/01 at 14:24
Regular
"Back from the dead!"
Abes oddessy

SELL OUT!!!
SELL OUT!!!
SELL OUT!!!
SELL OUT!!!
SELL OUT!!!
SELL OUT!!!
Thu 14/06/01 at 13:35
Regular
SonicRav wrote:
I know the MS will not let cheap ports come onto
> the Xbox (as they must licence the games). Instead, MS demands that
> ports must build on the original games (better graphics, more modes
> etc).

Thing is, one of the most succesful ports on the DC didn't have much better graphics, or extra modes. It was THPS1. The graphics were hardly better than the original, and there were no new levels or features or anything. It was just such a damn good game!

To be honest, i don't see why MS don't allow mediocre ports. Being honest, the PSX had a load of mediocre games, but that didn't stop it doing well. People seem to prefer a large back catalogue of average games, PSX, rather than a small back catalogue of quality games, DC.

If MS can have a few top quality launch titles, about 3 or 4, as well as a number of average games at launch, say 10 or 12, then i think it will have a good launch. However, they need to keep up the releases, consistently having at least 8 per month for the first few months, if not more.

A console seems to a top quality title in each of the following genres to succeed:

Character title, eg Sonic, Mario etc
Football
Racing/Driving
Beat 'em up
Different title, like SSX etc.

That is where i think the DC went downhill, there still isnt a decent footie game available, and the only good driving game at launch was Sega Rally, which was ok, but not as good as M:SR and the like.

So MS need to get a game for each of the genres. They don't have a character, but the is an Abe's Odysee game due for launch, so maybe that will count. As for the footie game, i believe EA are signed up so no doubt there will be a FIFA game at or around launch. Project Gotham is the driving game, it's essentially a tarted up M:SR, which is good news as that was a classic.

As for a beat 'em up, VF4 is rumoured to be an MS launch title, so that could wqell be that sorted. This leaves Halo to tbe the different title.

If all of these games are available for launch and live up to expectation, the XBox will have a bright launch if nothing else.
Thu 14/06/01 at 12:47
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
Talking of this type of thing, I’ve just seen that Black Isle are teaming up with newcomers Snowblind to provide the PS2 world with a version of Baldurs Gate.

The game looks to have been somewhat ‘Diabloised’ for the console version, creating a new game within the Baldurs Gate scene rather than just bringing the original RPG over. The screenshots I’ve seen of course look very impressive, the sound is supposed to be top notch and the control interface very well thought out.

I would have to assume that Black Isle and Co. have opted for this approach simply to hit a larger section of the PS2 games market than the original game style would have done, but then we know the console gamer can handle this type of RPG game, or Phantasy Star or the FF series would not have been such great institutions, so why else would they change the format?
Thu 14/06/01 at 11:37
Regular
"---SOULJACKER---"
Actually Hooplah, you make a good point. Although PC archetecture is used to allow easy programming, it also allows easy ports, and this must be limitted. I know the MS will not let cheap ports come onto the Xbox (as they must licence the games). Instead, MS demands that ports must build on the original games (better graphics, more modes etc).

Sonic
Thu 14/06/01 at 10:37
Regular
Not got a clue!!!!!
Thu 14/06/01 at 08:40
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
Yep, that sounds about right!
Thu 14/06/01 at 08:35
Regular
"Bored, Bored, Bored"
SonicRav wrote:
> Hooplah wrote:
> Basing the DC on a PC was supposed to aid the
> porting of PC titles
> over to the Dreamcast without too much
> dumbing down for the console.
> How many PC to DC ports actually
> made it though? The DC owner is
> only just getting games like
> Half Life and Soldier of Fortune.

I don';t think the consoles
> are based on PC archetecture to allow easy ports... rather to allow
> an easy development environment. Indeed, both Sega and MS have and
> will limit cheap ports

Sonic

I agree with what you say here Sonic, I wasn't suggesting that this was the only reason the DC was designed the way it was. Simply that the way the technology was touted implied that most PC titles could be easily moved to the DC platform without changing too many aspects of the game. This 'Best of both Worlds' incentive, arcade quality games such as Crazy Taxi and Soul Calibur married with the best that PC gaming could offer was no doubt a lure for allot of perspective buyers.
Thu 14/06/01 at 08:24
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
What about PSO for the GC and all the other DC games!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.