GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Censoring (ahem *monitoring*) posts!!"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
I have read a couple of posts written over the last few days which have concentrated on setting up moderators in these forums. This in itself is not a problem, what is getting to me is that people are suggesting that these posts are suggesting that moderators should be able to get rid of the drivelling chatter which takes place in these forums.

People can say what they like, where they like and when they like, as long as it is not offensive and generally nasty to other people. This is called the "Freedom of Speech", whether someone else finds what people say irrelevent or not has nothing to do with it, if you don't want to read posts which have no meaning, then don't, that is a way by which people can moderate theselves and what they read.

I do not believe that people should be prevented from posting in any forum or in any thread, this is a serious issue, fair enough it may not be on the colossul scale of political prisoners in China, but the priciple is fundamentally the same.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:57
Regular
I have read a couple of posts written over the last few days which have concentrated on setting up moderators in these forums. This in itself is not a problem, what is getting to me is that people are suggesting that these posts are suggesting that moderators should be able to get rid of the drivelling chatter which takes place in these forums.

People can say what they like, where they like and when they like, as long as it is not offensive and generally nasty to other people. This is called the "Freedom of Speech", whether someone else finds what people say irrelevent or not has nothing to do with it, if you don't want to read posts which have no meaning, then don't, that is a way by which people can moderate theselves and what they read.

I do not believe that people should be prevented from posting in any forum or in any thread, this is a serious issue, fair enough it may not be on the colossul scale of political prisoners in China, but the priciple is fundamentally the same.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:04
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Bonus wrote:
This is called the "Freedom of Speech"

That was my tagline :-D

On a serious note though I am not too sure what side to take on this issue!

Maybe nobody would need to alter their posts if they posted sensible posts that do not interfear with the topic!
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:05
Regular
The chatting isn't the problem. The lack of intelligent posts is. If topics are boring, and aren't worth reading, then they shouldn't be there.

Obviously the main function is to stop idiots swearing and abusing the forums.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:08
Regular
If the posts aren't worth reading then don't read them, but that still doesn't mean that they shouldn't be there!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:10
Regular
"I like cheese"
Bonus wrote:
> I have read a couple of posts written over the last few days which
> have concentrated on setting up moderators in these forums. This in
> itself is not a problem, what is getting to me is that people are
> suggesting that these posts are suggesting that moderators should be
> able to get rid of the drivelling chatter which takes place in these
> forums.

Well, that sounds okay to me. If a topic is stupid and people are swearing, hurling abuse etc then it should be deleted.

People can say what they like, where they like and when
> they like, as long as it is not offensive and generally nasty to
> other people. This is called the "Freedom of Speech",
> whether someone else finds what people say irrelevent or not has
> nothing to do with it, if you don't want to read posts which have no
> meaning, then don't, that is a way by which people can moderate
> theselves and what they read.

Yes, but you end up reading them as they clog up the forum, and it's to find any decent topics!

I do not believe that people should
> be prevented from posting in any forum or in any thread, this is a
> serious issue, fair enough it may not be on the colossul scale of
> political prisoners in China, but the priciple is fundamentally the
> same.

Maybe, but as long as the moderators are set out rules at what they can and cannot do, and they're well respected members of the forum, it could work out pretty well.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:10
Regular
SHEEPY wrote:

Maybe nobody
> would need to alter their posts if they posted sensible posts that
> do not interfear with the topic!

This is a point I do agree with, too many good posts are wrecked by pointlessness, this could be moderated, because with the freedom of speech, is a responsibility to respect others freedom, and some people would prefer their posts to be kept chatter free, but that doesn't mean that people should be prevented from posting in certain places at all.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:11
Regular
"I like cheese"
Bonus wrote:
> If the posts aren't worth reading then don't read them, but that
> still doesn't mean that they shouldn't be there!!

Yes, but it clogs up the forum and it's hard to find any decent topics!
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:13
Regular
I was refering to Tony's idea of preventing newbies starting topics in the Prime forum (and a little incident a few minutes ago). Apparently people should be segregated due to the colour of their name, but I don't agree with the way people change from newbies to regulars anyway, so this is another sticky point.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:13
Regular
This isn't your crappy Gameplay or IGN forums. The FOGs are intelligent forums, and stupidity will not be tolerated.
Mon 11/06/01 at 17:30
Regular
Ant wrote:

Yes, but it clogs up the forum and it's hard to find any
> decent topics!

Then a moderator who can move topics from Prime to chatter or vice versa??

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.