GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Future of Multiplayer"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 11/06/01 at 16:07
Regular
I am not overly sure whether this topic has been covered before, but I haven't noticed it recently, so I'll have a crack at it.

Now, I know everybody loves multiplayer games, I know I do. There was nothing more thrilling than being a Goldeneye champion back in Sixth Form at school. It was just tremendous.
And internet gaming is even better, as I am sure a lot of you will agree. I loved playing Unreal Tournement online.

But what does the future hold for multiplayer games. Can multiplayer get even better. I am not sure. At the moment, there is two choices where multiplayer is available:

1) Pc - Most of the multiplayer is played online, and is generally a blast. There is also network play. And I have also noticed games where more than one player can play using one keyboard e.g Serious Sam, I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on what it is like.

2) Consoles - Most of the multiplayer is played with the aid of two to four ports on a console or via multitap, two to four controllers and some friends. Internet gaming is available to DC owners and will soon be available for PS2 and Xbox and Gamecube (I am not sure about when internet will be available for these three consoles exactly).

Multiplayer at the moment is brilliant, but can it get better in the future.
You may get new consoles that can enable more ports on the console (although this is doubtful as the console would be massive). Internet gaming could expand to allow more players to play online. But is this it. Can anything else be accomplished for multiplayer? At this very moment, I can't think of anything new that can be accompished, but I am pretty sure that there are some people out there who can.

What does the future hold for multiplayer?
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:07
I am not overly sure whether this topic has been covered before, but I haven't noticed it recently, so I'll have a crack at it.

Now, I know everybody loves multiplayer games, I know I do. There was nothing more thrilling than being a Goldeneye champion back in Sixth Form at school. It was just tremendous.
And internet gaming is even better, as I am sure a lot of you will agree. I loved playing Unreal Tournement online.

But what does the future hold for multiplayer games. Can multiplayer get even better. I am not sure. At the moment, there is two choices where multiplayer is available:

1) Pc - Most of the multiplayer is played online, and is generally a blast. There is also network play. And I have also noticed games where more than one player can play using one keyboard e.g Serious Sam, I haven't tried it yet so I can't comment on what it is like.

2) Consoles - Most of the multiplayer is played with the aid of two to four ports on a console or via multitap, two to four controllers and some friends. Internet gaming is available to DC owners and will soon be available for PS2 and Xbox and Gamecube (I am not sure about when internet will be available for these three consoles exactly).

Multiplayer at the moment is brilliant, but can it get better in the future.
You may get new consoles that can enable more ports on the console (although this is doubtful as the console would be massive). Internet gaming could expand to allow more players to play online. But is this it. Can anything else be accomplished for multiplayer? At this very moment, I can't think of anything new that can be accompished, but I am pretty sure that there are some people out there who can.

What does the future hold for multiplayer?
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:10
Regular
"qwertyuiop!!"
The future holds improved graphics in the game.

No glitchy screen movements and framerates when too many people are on the screen ala Perfect Dark!

Online gaming for every recent console:

GC

XBOX

PS2

DC!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:13
Regular
The future of multiplayer is online and in the home, consoles better never lose the ability for me to hammer my mates at Goldeneye/Timesplitters on my own Sofa, but then being able to go through an RPG with guys from the states wouldn't go amiss when my mates aren't about!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:13
Regular
Both Sega and Capcom are alledgedly making games where PS2 owners can play against Gamecube and Xbox owners online.

When these games are released, expect console wars to come to life.

(Sorry PS2 and Xbox owners but with the likes of me Grix, Meka and Sniper on the Nintendo team, you won't stand the slightest chance!)

:-D
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:17
It seems that the internet is the future of multiplayer gaming. But can this get better? I mean, it seems to be going from strength to strength. Is there anything else in store for us in the future in the multiplayer front?
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:17
Dan uk wrote:

(Sorry
> PS2 and Xbox owners but with the likes of me Grix, Meka and Sniper
> on the Nintendo team, you won't stand the slightest chance!)

:-D

Ha, we'll see.
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:18
Regular
Millions of people, Kingpin with six people at 10pm is no match for Kingpin at 4am when all the yanks are about!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:19
Regular
Millions of people, Kingpin with six people at 10pm is no match for Kingpin at 4am when all the Americans are about!!
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:19
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> Millions of people, Kingpin with six people at 10pm is no match for
> Kingpin at 4am when all the yanks are about!!

This came up and said that it wasn't allowed to be posted, too offensive or something, so how did it get here??
Mon 11/06/01 at 16:22
That's a bit strange, Bonus. Was it your use of slang when referring to the Americans. I noticed you changed it in the second version of your post.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Impressive control panel
I have to say that I'm impressed with the features available having logged on... Loads of info - excellent.
Phil
My website looks tremendous!
Fantastic site, easy to follow, simple guides... impressed with whole package. My website looks tremendous. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to set this up, Freeola helps you step-by-step.
Susan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.