GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Will Nintendo get it right with their next console?"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 30/09/04 at 15:50
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
As a Nintendo fan i've really despaired at how well (or not) the Gamecube has done sales wise.

We all know that one of Nintendos biggest downfalls is its inability to commission any really good advertising.

The current news also indicates that Nintendo are on a rocky financial footing and are looking to the GBA / DS to keep them afloat.

The loss of some of the big names in game production during the Gamecubes life hasn't helped but can you blame any company for pulling the plug when outlay exceeds income!

Will the success of the GBA/DS really decide Nintendos fate or will someone at the top finally get to grips with some real 'in yer face' advertising for their next home console?

Heres hoping................!!!
Thu 30/09/04 at 15:50
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
As a Nintendo fan i've really despaired at how well (or not) the Gamecube has done sales wise.

We all know that one of Nintendos biggest downfalls is its inability to commission any really good advertising.

The current news also indicates that Nintendo are on a rocky financial footing and are looking to the GBA / DS to keep them afloat.

The loss of some of the big names in game production during the Gamecubes life hasn't helped but can you blame any company for pulling the plug when outlay exceeds income!

Will the success of the GBA/DS really decide Nintendos fate or will someone at the top finally get to grips with some real 'in yer face' advertising for their next home console?

Heres hoping................!!!
Thu 30/09/04 at 15:55
Regular
"8==="
Actually I couldn't care less about the advertising.

I'd like to see a heavy commitment to online gaming, a controller more suited to FPS games and a HD with the next console.

and some more mature multiplayer orientated games.
Thu 30/09/04 at 16:03
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Hedfix wrote:
> Actually I couldn't care less about the advertising.
>
> I'd like to see a heavy commitment to online gaming, a controller
> more suited to FPS games and a HD with the next console.
>
> and some more mature multiplayer orientated games.

Yeh, but as with the Gamecube, if the 'casual gamer' doesnt even know the console exists the online gaming and all associated extras you want to see just wont happen. The cash has got flow before anything else!
Thu 30/09/04 at 16:03
Regular
While advertising is a problem, I feel the major reasons Nintendo are going downhill is because of the introduction of a new rival (Microsoft), lack of adult material, loosing out to big name compainies (Acclaim) and no online play.

If Nintendo want the Revolution to suceed, it will have to imrpove on those downfalls. Obviously they can't ask companies to make games for them again, but companies like EA they will need to take advantage of, and their own brand of games needs to be able to complete with the exclusive titles on the other formats.

And online play is basically essential :)

As for the DS, I think it will do better than the PSP. It will probably have better games, it's at a much lower price and the touchscreen/voice controls will attract many gamers looking for something new.

They say the Big 'N' never let us down. Well in the next few years we'll see if they can live up to that statement.
Thu 30/09/04 at 16:07
Regular
Nintendo just rocks to nintendo fans nintendo dont have much way to get a award of best next generation console ps2 is better and different to nintendo,ps2 gots abbility to watch dvds,play awsome games andplay trhough net with the new ps2 its ready for net play but nintendo cant have that way for the best console only the real nintendo fans accepted to be tghe best console and i dont think its the best console i mean nintendo consoles will never rock so much like Playstation 2,Xbox. nintendo tryes to get better console than ps2,xbox but i dont think it got the chance to put down ps2,xbox.
Thu 30/09/04 at 16:09
Regular
"8==="
Xbox > GC > Everything else > PS2 > PS1
Thu 30/09/04 at 16:19
Regular
"'ahh a nice sweety!"
Apple Crumble wrote:
> While advertising is a problem, I feel the major reasons Nintendo are
> going downhill is because of the introduction of a new rival
> (Microsoft), lack of adult material, loosing out to big name
> compainies (Acclaim) and no online play.

But there in lies the problem.
That is the whole point isn't it. I agree with what you say but companies like Acclaim would never of left if the money was coming in. Game companies would produce more mature games for the console if the money was coming in. Microsoft wouldn't be doing so well if Nintendo had a better grip on the market. That is the crux of the problem. Nintendo HAVE to get it right with their advertising. They HAVE to reach out to adult gamers. But they can only do this if they advertise properly. I still speak to people who dont even know what the Gamecube is!! I've also said it before that the game shops dont help. I walked in to my local GAME store a few weeks ago and I thought the Gamecube display was piddly! I walked in again last week only to see that the piddly area had been reduced even more! If it continues at this pace they'll be no Gamecube space at all by next month. A bit of an exaggeration i know but you see my point!
Thu 30/09/04 at 16:24
Good point that. Nintendo's advertising on TV, newspapers etc. for Gamecube was fine - most adverts were appealing. Howeever, it's well known that store space (at least at the big retailers i.e. GAME) are bought, and Nintendo need to invest more there; take over where the games are bought at the point of sale.

Mind you, another problem with their media campaign wasn't the quality of their adverts, but rather the quantity; like MS before Xbox, they had to spend much more than the competition to secure a strong place, but Nintendo, while spending a lot, never reached the standards of MS and Sony. Not a bad thing, as too much advertising may not be worth it, but it's the reason why Nintendo are last in the console race.
Thu 30/09/04 at 17:02
Regular
"313>>>ukchatforums"
In my opinion I think the Gamecube is doing good for itself. At the moment my Gamecube is my favorite out of all my consoles. There is a lack of GC games now, but later on it'll get loads of decent games like ToS, Zelda (2005) and so on.

Nintendo will do perfectly well woth the DS and the same with the Revolution.
Thu 30/09/04 at 18:27
Regular
"bit of a brain"
I don't think Nintendo lose money from the GC, far from it, I bet they make a nice little profit from it. I wouldn't really use Acclaim for you example of a company that left Nintendo, mainly because they were rubbish but also because they went bankrupt shortly afterwards. Eidos is the big one, but if you look on the Codemasters website, they say how pleased they were that their first Gamecube game went to number one in the charts. This is a good start for Codemasters and will probably mean that they will have a foot in Nintendo's boat during the next generation.
What you do have to remember though, is that Nintendo is a japanese company, run by a japanese family and owned mostly by japanese investors. Ever since their creation, Japan has been their focus in terms of the games they produce and who they aim their products at, and in Japan the gamecube is quite successful. With the Revolution, they have a chance to aim their marketing and their console at the US market, which is much more lucrative, and so it is probable that there will be a big difference between what we see with REvolution and what we have seen with GC. Nintendo still haven't realised that Europe is the biggest computer games market in the world, and so they just give us what the US get but a month or so later. It's pretty much what Sony and Microsoft do as well, and it's the way that things will always be. you can blame it on our friends accross the channel, with their funny languages and strange tasting foods.
We can already see with DS that Nintendo are trying to appeal to westerners, releasing the DS in the US before Japan, and trying hard to improve the image of their console past the renowned Nintendo name. They have really been selling their consoles and their games off the fumes of their domination in the 16 and 32 bit era, and the fmes are running out, so Nintendo will have to start afresh. That's what I hope, anyway.
There are loads of GC games to be looking forward to before you start thinking about the next generation though. Just look at the release list, Pikmin 2, Donkey konga, Paper Mario 2, Metroid Prime 2, PoP 2, TS3, ToS, Goldeneye, Mario Tennis, and Starfox 2 all come out withing 2 months of each other. That's 1 essential game every 8 days, or thereabouts.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.