GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Story Competition 35"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/10/05 at 07:59
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's short story competition number thirty-five!

I'll come straight to the point. The theme is

The Woods

Closing Date - November 15th

--------------

Result

Thanks to all who entered, this, maybe the final SSC on these forums. Who knows?

As always it was difficult to pick a winner.

The Runner's-up

FFF - Troupe. I like everything you write (even if you don't like it yourself). This was the usual enchanting and mazy creation.

Stryke - Acres of Shadowland. Once again an intriguing read, written in that likeable style of yours.

Meka Dragon - In The Woods Lies A Cabin. You're like an Amazon forest of variety and creation. Last time a musical, this time a creepy ghost story. I always see your stories being turned into pieces of cinematic drama. To my mind you are a very commercial writer - and I say that in the best possible way.

Prophet - Across The Mountain Forest. This felt like I'd opened a novel by an established author and read a couple of pages. It is so well-written and polished. Very nearly won.

The Winner

Ineedsleep - Just Passing Through. This reminded me of what the SSC is all about. Short and sweet, concisely expressed and mapped out, simple and effective. Just liked it the most.

So is this the last one, or are we just gonna carry on? I feel like I should make a speech or something... (better not).
Mon 14/11/05 at 17:14
Regular
"Cool!"
Tommorows juging day!
I've only done 1 entry. I was planning to do 2.
Mon 14/11/05 at 16:57
Regular
"Catch it!"
Asher wrote:
> Nice idea crossbob, I wonder if anyone else suggested something like
> that...

Yeah but you said a whole chapter.
Mon 14/11/05 at 16:53
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
This has been running for an incredibly long time to say it was a quick idea that someone (pb?) had but it's been / is a good one. The problem is that it is getting to feel a little.... stale. Best word I can come up with. I used to read any new story as soon as it was posted. Now I tend to read them altogether - usually when I am doing the update.

I have an urge to enter all of them (thankfully I haven't) regardless of the quality of my story because someone is taking the time to set them and I don't want anyone to feel their time is being wasted.

Plus, if just one other person seriously enjoys anything you've written, well, it does give you a nice glow and a boost to the ego :)
Mon 14/11/05 at 15:38
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I think it needs spicing up with some extras...

I know! Every winner is guaranteed a GAD. Someone tell those blue guys.
Mon 14/11/05 at 13:06
"period drama"
No, wait, I've thought of something.
Should / might be good. A bit different anyway.

Seriously, the comp is perfect how it is. The all-in-one story-writing thing never works, and doesn't catch the imagination, and your other thing is too restrictive, Glove.
Sun 13/11/05 at 23:53
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Asher wrote:
> Maybe we should do a separate SSC which basically runs on and on, and
> each competition is to write a chapter of the story.

It's a good idea. The only problem I foresee with it is one of sustained imput. I can imagine only a few writers participating and it petering out (maybe?).

I was thinking along the lines of making the themes for each comp more specific - like limiting the wordcount, or saying there has to be three characters in the story, or... just more specific.

For instance, for SSC35, if I'd have said the theme is "The Woods: it must feature a boy, a strange beast, and haunting music" - would that not make it more interesting, challenging? (maybe?).
Sun 13/11/05 at 21:44
Regular
Nice idea crossbob, I wonder if anyone else suggested something like that...
Sun 13/11/05 at 19:40
Regular
"Catch it!"
We could do something new like someone writes a paragraph of the beginning of a story. Then everyone continues it. So what you think? You can tell me if it is a bad idea.
Sun 13/11/05 at 17:21
"period drama"
No, there's nothing wrong with the compo, there's something wrong with me.
Sun 13/11/05 at 12:09
Regular
Maybe we should do a separate SSC which basically runs on and on, and each competition is to write a chapter of the story.

Like say everyone puts forward a character and a setting and a location and stuff, and then each SSC is to write the next chapter. Say i write the first chapter, everyone reads it, gets to know the characters, situations, etc, and then everyone has a go at writing a second chapter. Then the writer of the first chapter picks a winner and that becomes a second chapter, and then everyone tries to write the third.

etc etc. It could be interesting, to see how the story would develop and what directions people would send it in. And by picking a winner rather than taking it in turns, you remove the possibility of some lunatic sending all the characters to the moon or something.

If it's a bad idea, tell me to shut up lol. But it could become pretty epic.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Very pleased
Very pleased with the help given by your staff. They explained technical details in an easy way and were patient when providing information to a non expert like me.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.