GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Short Story Competition 35"

The "Creative Writing" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 29/10/05 at 07:59
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's short story competition number thirty-five!

I'll come straight to the point. The theme is

The Woods

Closing Date - November 15th

--------------

Result

Thanks to all who entered, this, maybe the final SSC on these forums. Who knows?

As always it was difficult to pick a winner.

The Runner's-up

FFF - Troupe. I like everything you write (even if you don't like it yourself). This was the usual enchanting and mazy creation.

Stryke - Acres of Shadowland. Once again an intriguing read, written in that likeable style of yours.

Meka Dragon - In The Woods Lies A Cabin. You're like an Amazon forest of variety and creation. Last time a musical, this time a creepy ghost story. I always see your stories being turned into pieces of cinematic drama. To my mind you are a very commercial writer - and I say that in the best possible way.

Prophet - Across The Mountain Forest. This felt like I'd opened a novel by an established author and read a couple of pages. It is so well-written and polished. Very nearly won.

The Winner

Ineedsleep - Just Passing Through. This reminded me of what the SSC is all about. Short and sweet, concisely expressed and mapped out, simple and effective. Just liked it the most.

So is this the last one, or are we just gonna carry on? I feel like I should make a speech or something... (better not).
Wed 16/11/05 at 19:40
Regular
"not dead"
Cheers Glove, much appreciated.
Wed 16/11/05 at 19:29
Regular
"Catch it!"
Fingers crossed that it does.
Wed 16/11/05 at 18:12
"Retarded List"
Ta Glove, and well done Sleepy.

I make that four in a row. :-)

Now if only the site keeps going...
Wed 16/11/05 at 16:04
Regular
"Catch it!"
Good one for winning Ineedsleep. You going to do SSC36 now? Or are we going to change it to something different this time?
Wed 16/11/05 at 15:15
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
:D

I love you too Stryke

pb wrote:
> Ineedsleep wrote:
> Even if I saved all the stories what would I do with them?
>
> Website, showcasing them. Or put them on one of the forums now
> springing up.

Following the above post (from the SSC entry thread) I set about investigating getting a web site and discovered I already have several that I've never used - courtesy of Freeola - anyway. I never even realised they were there as I've never needed to look for one before :)
Wed 16/11/05 at 14:59
Regular
Well done to the sleep, although I hate it when she does better than me in anything.

Pleased I have a likeable style, though. Well done Glove, well done sleepy, well done me.
Wed 16/11/05 at 14:31
"period drama"
Congrats Sleepy, I will get around to reading it soon enough, promise. Although there's another three SSCs I missed to catch up on as well, I'll get there eventually.

I'm gonna be saving all the stories myself, just in case ... so, yeah, if anyone wants to opt out, just say so. Hopefully if this place does disappear (and that's not me being hopeful that it will) we'll be able to carry on the SSC elsewhere ... I know I wouldn't have written a tenth as much as I have, nor improved so much over the years without it.
Wed 16/11/05 at 14:12
Regular
"Going nowhere fast"
Oh excellent, I'm glad you liked the piece enough to award it first place. Although if this place does fold it's going to be a case of ladies last. A mixture of joy and sadness. I can't help feeling sad although I've been in and out of the site all day :)

I'll not set another one yet - I'm in limbo (as I'm sure we all are) and still in a small state of shock. I'm sure that someone from Freeola will eventually get around to making an official thread about the site and what it's future is. It would be the very cruel if we just tried to get on here and... nothing. If it does go belly up I'll start one afresh in the site a lot of people have joined in an effort to keep us all in contact.

While I'm here - pb is panicing about the loss of all the stories so I am taking copies of all SSC entries (got the space but it's taking a blinking long time to do). If anyone objects to me taking the copies please let me know so that I can omit yours.

Cheers.
Wed 16/11/05 at 12:48
Regular
"Laughingstock"
Result in the original post.
Wed 16/11/05 at 00:49
Regular
"Catch it!"
I have added my story now.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.