GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Revolution Vs. Xenon Vs. Playstation 3"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 02/10/04 at 14:18
Regular
Sony have confirmed it. Blu-Ray will be a featured component in what is set to be their most lucrative bussiness move to date.

For those that don't know, DVD is already becoming outdated. Already you can get view high definition TV, that even surpasses that of DVD. In other words you can be watching Friday Night with Jonathan Ross and it'll look better than the latest Star Wars DVD's.

Does this seem right to you? No indeed it doesn't and 2 major companies also agree this. These 2 major companies have developed 2 new forms of movie media, Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

Sony, along with a whole host of other top names, back the Blu-Ray medium to be the next big thing in home entertainment. It is a massive 50GB in size, looks pretty funky and with it being included in the Playstation 3 will autmatically put Blu-Ray in millions and millions of homes worldwide. Hollywood would almost have to support the Blu-Ray system simply because the popularity of the Playstation brand will mean millions will have the ability to play them already. Sony will add pressure with their Tri-star, Columbia and MGM studios... Spiderman, Terminator and Bond already on Blu-Ray. Watch the new system fly.

Unless something incredibly unlikely happens, such as the PSP flops and the PSTwo fails to start then it is likely Sony will be looking at a steam rolling win for the next generation of consoles.

There is one negative aspect of Blu-Ray. Because it doesn't use the simple red laser system for DVD's (something that is now very cheap to implement) and uses Blue laser, it'll mean the cost of the system will be jacked up. Either Sony will have to release it at a high price, wait an extra amount of time or just suffer a loss on the system. The latter isn't something Sony have ever been willing to do.

It is this PS3 decision that makes the Blu-Ray's competitor, the HD-DVD, look bad. Although the system is cheaper to implement the size of the medium is a mere 22GB, under half that of Blu-Ray.

But hope may remain. It is possible that Microsoft's next system, codenamed Xenon, will use it. Microsoft are desperate to release a cheap system out of the box and not to suffer the price point themselves like they are with the X-box. Already they are removing the Hard drive and to incorperate something like Blu-Ray will mean the Xenon will launch at a very high price. In fact Microsoft are hoping to get a years head start (late 2005) on the competiton and Blu-Ray will be even more expensive to use. If Microsoft want a competitive medium HD-DVD may be the only way.

Microsoft with the weaker system is almost a complete role reversal from the current generation.

What of Nintendo? Who honestly knows. No one. Rumours persist that Nintendo will continue to go their own way and buck the trend of the industry. It persists that Nintendo will play down third party support and stick to first party software, that Nintendo will use a totally new system and won't offer movie playback at all.

These rumours are counteracted with the DS almost entirely. Nintendo now base more emphesis on third parties especially with the latest system and the recent GBA Videos indicate Nintendo willingness to develop video viewing means.

But it is also likely that Nintendo will want to fight piracy in such a way that games will be on a totally different form of medium (A.K.A Gamecube/DS) but it is also likely Nintendo will offer a "second medium". Already confirmed is that the Revolution will be backwards compatible. Which points to the inclusion of either very cheap to implement DVD system or slightly more expensive "HD-DVD".

If both Nintendo and Microsoft use "HD-DVD" then there maybe trouble ahead for Blu-Ray after all. Sure Sony may have the sales advantage, but with Nintendo set to launch simultaneously with Sony and Microsoft a year early. It already kick starts a proper war between the two mediums.

On the other hand, with DVD gaining a firm position in society how likely is it that Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will be replacing it by 2006? Surly it'll take a good 5 years to properly take off? Is Nintendo likely to just stick with DVD movies? Especially as they lack the experience of it. But launching the system next to the Playstation 3 indicates that Nintendo are being really competitive this time, and they will want that to right down to the specifications and what the system offers.

Sony have a brilliant stratagy in place. Something Nintendo and Microsoft will have to be very clever to counteract. Recent reports indicate Nintendo are on the offensive, and it is likely we will see a far more agressive stance from the legendary developer... with the added bonus of brilliant and innovative "DS style" features. Microsoft are stripping down their system and offering in advance of the competiton. It is a surprise risk from Microsoft, hoping that releasing the system early will mean they get a stranglehold on the industry.

Didn't work for the Dreamcast did it.
Sun 17/10/04 at 13:59
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
Strafio wrote:
> You talking about Cel Shading?
>
> I'd admit that Nintendo didn't do Cel Shading as well as Sega did.
> But using it too much?
> For one game?
>
> Is a certain someone a little confused? :-)

well lets change that to overused it in zelda, i mean come on it look dreadful!
Sun 17/10/04 at 13:13
Regular
You talking about Cel Shading?

I'd admit that Nintendo didn't do Cel Shading as well as Sega did.
But using it too much?
For one game?

Is a certain someone a little confused? :-)
Sun 17/10/04 at 13:01
Regular
"gametag:thebestbit"
Strafio wrote:
> Am I the only one here who thinks those cartoony graphics ARE cool?
>
>
> I thought that cartophobia was for little teenagers who are desperate
> to show the world that they're out of their nappies!

it was good at first when Jet set radio came out but nintendo use it way too much
Sun 17/10/04 at 12:11
Regular
You know, I think it's only the Mario related ones that are...

Pikmin and Zelda sort of came somewhere between realism and caroon-like, (bar Windwaker, but that was done in a unique way) as did Smash Brothers. F-Zero has always been cartoon drawn but with less emphasis on bright colours, and their sports games like 1080 and Wave Race have always been pretty realistic.

Conclusion?

Nintendo are really putting Mario and the gang into too many games.

:-)
Sun 17/10/04 at 12:01
Regular
"\\"
Strafio wrote:
> Am I the only one here who thinks those cartoony graphics ARE cool?
>
>
> I thought that cartophobia was for little teenagers who are desperate
> to show the world that they're out of their nappies!

In the case of some games, yes, cartoony graphics are good... But Nintendo do it to a damn lot of their games, which isn't so good.
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:59
Regular
I suppose the Mario visuals are a bit over used when you think of all the spin-offs, but I've never really bought many of these so I barely noticed.

Talking of the new Zelda though, I thought that it was a bit drab.
It was the colours they used... like a colourful game with a slight grey filter over it...

I mean it had it's pretty moments, but was generally a bit...

I know, Nintendo can't expect to try something new and perfect it, but perhaps if they'd hired some proper animé artists, we could've seen the cream of Japanese style visuals, brought to life in a 3D world of gameplay...

Think Pokémon and Dragon Ball Z...
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:50
Regular
I think the styalised effects are sometimes cool. The unique effects in Mario Sunshine was nice, Luigi's Mansion just breathed which was great... the Zelda style was very cool looking.

But that Nintendo basic colour look that is used in EVERY Mario game does grind a little. Especially considering the amount of Mario games there are.

Take Pikmin. Uses the Nintendo style but is fused with so much detail that it looks a little more clever.

The cartoon simple colours of Mario doesn't annoy me but I can see how it is childish.

Zelda was very styalised and Pikmin shows how Nintendo games should look.

Paper Mario... now that looks childish but in such a styalised way that it looks cool as well.

Although the graphical style used in that Winnie the Pooh Tigger game for the "paper land" looks far better than Paper Mario.

But then there is no need to complain.
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:46
Regular
Am I the only one here who thinks those cartoony graphics ARE cool?

I thought that cartophobia was for little teenagers who are desperate to show the world that they're out of their nappies!
Sun 17/10/04 at 11:39
Regular
Nintendo go for a kiddy look to appeal to the casual child gamer.

The fact is their adult appeal is down to those adults that don't have any sense of cool and just play the damn thing.

Realises that the graphics don't matter and get it.

I brought home Donkey Konga and my brother said "how old are you?"

He's now playing it extensivly for the fourth time.
Sat 16/10/04 at 22:13
Regular
"0228"
And that's why I have a Gamecube.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.