GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Gigs"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sat 22/10/05 at 23:20
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
This has probably been done before, but oh well, here goes:

-Last gig you went to
-Favourite gig so far
-Worst gig.
-Next gig youre going to
-Favourite/worst venue
-Anything else random and gig-related
Tue 15/11/05 at 18:52
Regular
Wasn't overly impressed with the evening myself. Went last night for anyone interested.

Reggie and the Full Effect: Weren't too bad but I've never really been that into them, Congratulations Smack and Katie being the only song I knew the words to simply because of the Burnout 3 sound track. I enjoyed seeing the dude almost knock his keyboard/synth thing off of the stand though. Might give their album another listen.

Story of the Year: Another band that I don't really know that much about except for one or two songs however I was reasonably impressed. Crowd started to warm itself up a bit - mainly due to the singer crowd surfing, that back flip, the guitar throwing and the general energy the band had. Made a lot of the others seem very lazy.

Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly: Perhaps not the best gig for this guy to be at, crowd didnt really seem to appreciate him and as such my experience was ruined due to the general knobs around me. Definately going to see him in a smaller venue.

Rise Against: My favourite band in the line up and the beginning of where my night went wrong. Shoe came off in the pit and had disappeared before I even knew where I was, was a bit of a downer as I went to the side for a bit and waited for the lights to come up. However due to the way in which the night was organised this never really happened. On. Off. On. Off. Go go go! Would of appreciated a small wait between bands for once.

7 Stone Lighter (I believe): Not impressed with this band at all, didn't do anything for me.

Killswitch Engage: Can't exactly call myself a fan of the band although I like what they do, this topics served as an explanation for why I couldn't see the guy I know :P Quite enjoyed their set anyway, was a bit warey for my foot though as it felt a bit unprotected.

Bleed the Dream: Hahaha. Started to feel really bad during this set, seems to be a recurring event for me at long gigs lately. Get a really upset stomach which is like wind or something but it just gets worse and worse, last time it happened I thought I might be dehydrated or something but I'm pretty sure thats not whats going on, annoying whatever the cause is.

The Used: Due to feeling ill I stood at the side through this set with random trips to sit in the toilet as I felt better when I wasn't being assaulted by the bass of the sound set up. Catchy is the only way to describe the band, but I can't understand why they have such a large following of girls who didn't look old enough to be in the standing area.

Funeral for a Friend: Didn't enjoy their set anywhere as near as much as when I saw them on tour, mainly because of the crowd again, when the crowd was being pushed it was ridiculous as half of the people couldn't stand their ground and the pit contained 2 weird as bald guys who most of been about 35 really going at it, I'm sure the little children wished they were in the seats when they went into their backs.

To top the night off the security were so arsey about me looking for my shoe that me and my friend were pretty much made to leave, was completely amazed by how unwilling they were to give me a little bit longer to look around whilst they cleaned up. Eventually after harassing x amount of security people we got one to let my friend back in to have a look to no avail. So one shoe missing and pretty let down I made my way home feeling very underwhelmed.

Think I'm going to avoid these larger show things in future.
Tue 15/11/05 at 08:52
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Well that sucked. Sorry to say it but Taste of Chaos was utter shyte. Here goes:

Reggie and the full effect: No idea, got in too late to see them. Sounded good through the wall of the academy though, so 5/10 :b

Story of the year: bloody good i thought. Made a good sound, got the crowd goin, and of course the random jumping of the P.A. stack etc. made for a good set 7/10

Random 1 man band guy: yeah, not bad for 1 guy with a guitar and a trumpet. plus i found his 'band' is called "Get cape. Wear cape. Fly". Genius :D 6/10

Rise against: inme with an extra cretin. $h1t. 4/10

secret busted tribute band: as poo as they sounded, they did however give us more time to get to the bar before killswitch came on. therefore a generous 3/10

Killswitch engage: disappointment!!! ok, so they were missing the musical genious that is Adam D, but....actually i suppose the crowd was to blame. the fact hardly anyone seemed to know who they were coz the entire crowd seemed to be populated by 15-year old girls, emo scum, or a mixture of the two. played a good set but, no pits!! they were infinitely better at the astoria. still, 8/10

band who thought they were a7x: not bad. wasnt really interested. 6/10

the used: scum. unfortunately however they dominated the entire night. most people seemed to have come to see them, infact half the crowd left after they'd played. once again, no pits, but this time combined with gay music. 4/10

FFAF: no idea, we'd buggered off for their set and only saw the last couple of songs. sounded good though im not a huge fan. 7/10

Overall: gay. bring on motorhead on the 19th!!!
Fri 11/11/05 at 21:04
Regular
"the burning sky"
25th November! The Waiting Room, playing in Leeds! My ticket arrived today!
Fri 11/11/05 at 19:39
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Im goin on monday in a crowd of 11, and everyone is going purerly because of killswitch!! I was seriously p1$$ed off when i heard adam wasnt gonna be there but from what ive read on this page I now cant wait!!!! Time to bring our legendary piggyback moshpits to brixton :D
Fri 11/11/05 at 17:21
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Oh, that was the order that you just said; I put them in order of brilliance, from the top downwards, obvviously.

Wish they had played in that order mind.
Fri 11/11/05 at 17:20
Regular
"The definitive tag"
They played in that order?

When I went, the order was Rise Against - Story Of The Year - Killswitch Engage - The Used - Funeral For A Friend. (Excluding the other garbage on the second stage)

Maybe they took the advice of the Birmingham fans and actually let the most popular band, Killswitch, headline. It was weird as well, the bands all played roughly the same length set, even the headliners.
Fri 11/11/05 at 09:31
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
Right, Taste of Chaos.

The support bands, "Bleed the Dream" and "My American Heart", I believe, were crap. Really poor. Erm...2/10 each.

The Used - GAH! Dreadful. Their stupid arrogant singer's whining almost killed me. Thank God the seaating area was almost empty, it meant we could go there for the whole set and hurl abuse at them from above. 1/10, at best.

Story of the Year - Good performers, with lots of fantastic guitar throwing, stage diving and jumping from stacks etc. but the songs were all very similar. The pit was fun as we went 'emo-hunting'. 5/10

Funeral For A Friend - Nowhere near as good as they were at GIAN, they lacked any punch or desire, and with their short set in mind, their song choices were poor. No Bullet Theory, Rookie of the year, All The Rage. Sure, we got the wonders of History (the world's most boring song?) They also walked around on stage like it didn't matter. If they hadn't played well, I'd have been a bit pi$$ed off, to be honest. 5/10

Rise Against - Now we're talking. RA played with their usual fervour, inciting mass singalongs on Blood Red, White and Blue and Swing Life Away. If a bit more of the crowd had known how good they were to begin with, it would have been even better. 9/10

Killswitch Engage - OMGOMGOMG!! KsE's 45 minute-odd set was easily worth the £18.50 alone. They played with such intensity, and so perfectly, everything just worked like you wouldn't believe. My Last Serenade was performed like it could be just that, and the crowd responded. To finish with that song and Rose of Sharyn was a stroke of genius; talk about going out with a bang. The pits were absolutely insane, and rightly so. There wasn't an emo in sight. Brilliant! 10/10
Wed 09/11/05 at 16:45
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
ToC be tomorrow for me.

Looking forward to it for Rise Against and KsE really though.
Wed 09/11/05 at 11:17
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Alright then, Taste Of Chaos was an ok show.

Rise Against were pretty good. Story Of The Year were crap, aside from when they broke into a Pantera riff.

Killswitch dominated the whole night. Even though they were a man short, it made very little difference. They made the other bands look terrible in comparison. It appeared that most went to see them as well. When Howard Jones shouted out "Are you looking forward to Funeral For A Friend?!", the general reply was "no, we came to see you!". Bert from The Used did help with "The End of Heartache", it didn't really work.

The Used were alright, not really my kind of thing though. FFAF were dull. I don't think much of them anyway, but they played an awful selection of songs.

There were a few other bands on the second stage. Can't remember any of their names, none of them are worth a mention. They were just fillers.
Tue 08/11/05 at 18:28
Regular
"This one goes to 11"
Chr1s wrote:
> T'is is a shame I know. I laughed my ass off at his antics at
> Download. I suppose it does mean that we'll get a more serious
> performance, but I think they're just functioning as a four-piece
> band for most of their songs, which won't be anywhere near as good.

Theyre playing as a four-piece yeah, and a roadie is gonna do second guitar for 1 song. Ive heard bert from the used sings end of heartache with them, which is just gonna be....bad. They need adam!!! He was mental when I saw them at the astoria, its just gonna sound so thin without him, kse is all about the texture!! on their albums they multitrack about 12 guitar parts, so 1 guitar....bah.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.