GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"USA facing another hurricane"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 19/10/05 at 00:59
"High polygon count"
Hurricane Wilma.

Currently only category 2, but getting stronger.
Wed 19/10/05 at 22:51
Regular
Well Smedlos if I was in the path of this "most powerful hurricane since records began 120 years ago" I'd want to know about it, especially after a recent hurricane caused so much death and damage to such a country as the United States.
Wed 19/10/05 at 23:05
Ranma wrote:
> Well Smedlos if I was in the path of this "most powerful
> hurricane since records began 120 years ago" I'd want to know
> about it, especially after a recent hurricane caused so much death
> and damage to such a country as the United States.

Ahahaha shut up.
There are extremely powerful hurricanes out in the oceans all the time, but they never make the media because nine times out of ten they drastically decrease in power well before they make landfall.
Look at Katrina, even.

CAT 5 OH MY GOD
And by the time it made land fall it was only just a cat 3, and then it went to cat 2 within hours.

His point remains - if Katrina hadn't happened this wouldn't make the news.
Thu 20/10/05 at 02:00
Regular
heh stupid retard, yes it's because of Katrina that hurricanes are now such a big news story. Though I'm pretty sure Hurricane Ivan, Frances and Charley were heavily reported in the news last summer. So no Azul his point doesnt remain, that is why Katrina was big news before it even hit the States, the same reason why Wilma is too. People need to be warned and informed and thats the job of the media.

Yes hurricanes do drastically decrease in power but what idiot is going to sit around and wait for that to happen before making a decision on whether to evacuate 100,000s of people.

¬_¬
Thu 20/10/05 at 02:20
Ranma wrote:
> heh stupid retard, yes it's because of Katrina that hurricanes
> are now such a big news story.

They've always been a big story when they've approached land
And yeah, they always make the news - in the area.

We're in the UK, mate, I doubt we need to be informed about a hurricane in the middle of the atlantic so that we have time to evac.

This wouldn't have made such a high level of international media had it not been the the well documented and somewhat famed "Katrina".
Thu 20/10/05 at 02:48
"High polygon count"
I saw (part of) a documentary recently which said that, relative to size, the UK experiences more tornado's than anywhere else in the world.
Thu 20/10/05 at 02:50
Regular
I'm sorry mate but I thought Florida was a very popular tourist destination. Are we talking about a couple of Brits or are we talking about a couple of thousand Brits who are likely to be in Florida, maybe more. So that would mean quite a few 10,000s of friends and relatives who would like to know if a CAT 5 hurricane is going to hit America.

I watched a tape the other day that we recorded a few months ago, it was a movie that had a news round up in the middle of it. Apparently there's a hurricane Katrina heading towards Florida and many Americans have been stocking up and preparing for it. I don't believe then that they knew Katrina would do as much damage as it did but it still made international news.
Fri 21/10/05 at 19:43
Regular
Ranma wrote:
> I watched a tape the other day that we recorded a few months ago, it
> was a movie that had a news round up in the middle of it. Apparently
> there's a hurricane Katrina heading towards Florida and many
> Americans have been stocking up and preparing for it. I don't believe
> then that they knew Katrina would do as much damage as it did but it
> still made international news.

So just by off chance, you had the exact news report in the middle of a film you taped a while back in which you watched the other day and at that point didn't bother to fast forward the old news to get to the next part of the film quicker?

That sounds very believable.....
Fri 21/10/05 at 20:43
Regular
Damarus wrote:
> So just by off chance, you had the exact news report in the middle of
> a film you taped a while back in which you watched the other day and
> at that point didn't bother to fast forward the old news to get to
> the next part of the film quicker?
>
> That sounds very believable.....

Yes, it was channel 5 and the movie was "You've Got Mail" I think it was their 10pm news update. My girlfriend was watching it in the room while I was working and she used the ad break to go to the bathroom, so when they mentioned Hurricane Katrina I paid attention. As you know Damarus, Channel 5's news updates during their movies are relatively short comapred to ITVs.

So yes, very believable.....
Fri 21/10/05 at 22:27
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Ranma wrote:

> Has there always been this many hurricanes doing so much damage to
> America and surrounding countries every year, because I don't
> remember hearing about them before until that one summer where they
> ended up with 4 or 5 in a row.

There have always been numerous hurricanes, but lately they have become much more intense and extreme. Without delving into the ins and outs I can almost promise you that it will only worsen over the next 30 years unless DRASTIC measures are taken to not only slow down but reverse global warming, (urgently need to remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere as it acts as a heat resevoir - less emissions, plant trees etc etc) the earth's surface temperature is rising by about 0.2 degrees every decade.

That might not seem like much... however on a global scale the amount of energy required to maintain even the tinniest increase is PHENOMENAL, and it is this energy that is basically providing the driving force behind the more extreme weather patterns we are seeing.

Im afraid Bush is going to have to start taking the whole Global warming malarky seriously...

PS: The Tsunami and any weather events are not in ANY way related!!
Sat 22/10/05 at 13:36
Regular
tigamilla wrote:
> There have always been numerous hurricanes, but lately they have
> become much more intense and extreme. Without delving into the ins
> and outs I can almost promise you that it will only worsen over the
> next 30 years unless DRASTIC measures are taken to not only slow down
> but reverse global warming, (urgently need to remove excess carbon
> dioxide from the atmosphere as it acts as a heat resevoir - less
> emissions, plant trees etc etc) the earth's surface temperature is
> rising by about 0.2 degrees every decade.

That's not going to be an easy task, America has always prefered making/saving money rather than taking global warming seriously. I believe they think it's something that has happened in Earths history before and is "natural" and nothing to be concerned about.

I'm sure Bush is going to start doing something as people are going to want him to be seen doing something to stop these hurricane. Unfortunately for Bush, nuclear weapons wont work so he can cross that off the top of his list. I think the power or heat of a hurricane is the equivalent to a 10-megaton nuclear bomb exploding every 20 minutes.

Azul luvs u wrote:
> We're in the UK, mate, I doubt we need to be informed about a
> hurricane in the middle of the atlantic so that we have time to
> evac.

Sorry Azul I was wrong, it's over 20,000 Brits who are currently preparing for Hurricane Wilma in Florida. While 8,500 Brits have already been evacuated from the Mexican coastline and a further 8,000 odd are being evacuated in Cuba as Wilma heads towards them and onto Florida. So I guess that's reason enough as to why they should inform us of a hurricane. (Figures from the ABTA)

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!
Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.