GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Recomend me some bands?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 07/10/05 at 00:21
Regular
"SOUP!"
So, much like the hypermodern studenty type I am I have matured moderately.

I want to listen to some music that deviates from angry shouting and threats of tearing faces off with sporks.

I've got a small selection of bands which are more chilled out and suchlike and am looking to broaden my tastes in this area. I'm not really into the whole new "OMFG indie!!212" trend, I'm getting more into softer rock or acoustic stuff.

Here's a list of the stuff I'm enjoying at the moment:

Modest Mouse
Brand New
Absinthe Glow (purevolume.com/absintheglow)
Placebo

So I'm looking for you to tell me some bands that are vaguely similar to them that you'd recommend and I'll give them a check out.

'preciate it.
Fri 07/10/05 at 22:24
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
Bright Eyes ftw.
Fri 07/10/05 at 19:12
Regular
Hedfix wrote:
> The Who.

Pinball Wizard is classic.

Which reminds me; you may also like Deep Purple (another fantastic 60s rock band) I still like the, slightly overplayed, Smoke on the Water.

In terms of modern music that's a little more Indie, Talking Heads are good. I haven't heard that much of their stuff but I'd go for a classic like Burnin' Down The House to get you started.
Fri 07/10/05 at 19:07
Regular
"8==="
The Who.
Fri 07/10/05 at 19:05
Regular
The 'rock' songs by Fleetwood Mac are mellow, but you have to listen to songs they recorded before they picked up a dire lead singer and went on to sound like a generic pop band. Their classic is Albatross, a laid back acoustic instrumental (the song they use on the M&S ads)

He's not an artist I know particularly well, but, JJ Cale does some chilled rock that is worth a listen to and has some good lyrics. I've only heard the song Cocaine, which is on the Ultimate Guitar Legends CD.

There's also Clapton if you wanted classic rock with fantastic riffs, and without shouting. In terms of more 'Indie' bands I'd suggest someone like The Mars Volta.
Fri 07/10/05 at 17:58
Regular
"8==="
The Beatles.
Fri 07/10/05 at 17:47
Regular
The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

Not sure if they relate to the bands you mentioned but they seem to hit the vibe you were describing... I think. :-)
Fri 07/10/05 at 17:39
Regular
"\\"
The Mars Volta are always an apt recommendation.
Fri 07/10/05 at 17:21
Regular
"8==="
Chr1s you need to check out some Stoopi.
Fri 07/10/05 at 17:15
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Paradox: wrote:
> I want to listen to some music that deviates from angry shouting and
> threats of tearing faces off with sporks.

Buh.

*turns away*
Fri 07/10/05 at 17:11
Regular
"8==="
Cyclefly.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.