GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Serenity"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 06/10/05 at 19:02
Regular
Going to see this tonight, and as a big Firefly fan (why, oh why did Fox cancel it after 14 episodes!?), I'm sure that I'll love it.

[URL]http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0379786/[/URL] for the initiative impaired.
Fri 28/10/05 at 16:25
Regular
Now down to £20.97 on Amazon if that helps...
Mon 17/10/05 at 10:49
Regular
Yeh, that's the cheapest I've been able to find it recently. Give it a little time and the price will probably drop off again. As for the borrow from a friend idea, its a good one, certainly! Its actually how I got into the series. A former pupil of mine, named Darth Vader..., nope, forget I said that, a former student lent it to me early last year and I was instantly hooked. Fantastic series!
Sat 15/10/05 at 14:29
Regular
ssxpro wrote:
> Ah, now that's interesting! Maybe it does have a broader appeal! As
> for the series, its a little more expensive right now because of the
> extra popularity the movie lends it, but not long ago (and probably
> not far into the future I'd guess) it was (might be) only about
> £16 which is well worth a look!

CDWow used to have it for £17, but alas, it's disappeared from there. Play have it for £23 on a special offer, though.
Sat 15/10/05 at 13:09
Regular
When I said "track down" meant find a friend I could borrow it off.
Spend money unnecessarily? I'm a student you know... :-)
Sat 15/10/05 at 12:00
Regular
Ah, now that's interesting! Maybe it does have a broader appeal! As for the series, its a little more expensive right now because of the extra popularity the movie lends it, but not long ago (and probably not far into the future I'd guess) it was (might be) only about £16 which is well worth a look!
Fri 14/10/05 at 16:20
Regular
I hadn't seen anything from the series before.
Infact I'll probably track it down having seen the film.
Fri 14/10/05 at 14:19
Regular
Ah, that makes sense, just not one of those things that appeals to you. Fair enough! As for Toy Story, I didn't realize that, but I guess his writing style would have to change for a Disney audience. I don't think they could have predicted the appeal the movie would have to such a wide audience, so perhaps his dialogue was less quirky to avoid alienating whatever audience they could gather.
Fri 14/10/05 at 13:04
Regular
"not dead"
I think it has more to do with Whedon's style than anything, as I was never a fan of the Buffy series (but loved the movie)...

I was shocked to learn that he co-wrote Toy Story though, as I thought the dialogue in that was excellent.
Fri 14/10/05 at 11:42
Regular
That's an interesting point and unfortunately one I'm not able to compare with really. All the characters aboard Serenity were already familiar to me from the series and everything just felt right from the start.

Having said that, the reviews I've read in magazines and on the internet, as well as tv reviews, have consistently given Serenity good reviews with special mention given to strong characters and good dialogue. I'm not trying to reverse your opinion, but it seems that plenty of "first time Firefly viewers" have given it high praise as well as all the previously existing Firefly base who almost exclusively gave it high ratings.

I noticed on that IMDb thingy that (in the rating votes) that most gave it 10 or 9, then very few gave it 2-8, but then a reasonable number gave it 1/10. The list is here:

Voters...Percentage..Rating
10997....66.2%.......10
2836.....17.1%.......9
1187.....7.1%........8
506......3.0%.......7
215......1.3%.......6
125......0.8%.......5
82.......0.5%.......4
75.......0.5%.......3
77.......0.5%.......2
522......3.1%.......1

It appeared from this that perhaps its generally very popular and exactly what many people wanted to see, but then there is a relatively large group with views similar to yours [Meka Dragon] who just really didn't get on with the movie.
Fri 14/10/05 at 11:32
Regular
"not dead"
I'll let you off. ;o)

I think it's the quirkiness of the dialogue I really don't like, but the same think puts me off most of Whedon's work.

I watched Alien the other night, and you can look at them from a similar starting point - characters we don't know isolated on a space ship. Those in Alien seemed more real, where Whedon's crew seemed to me like stock characters. The way John Hurt comes across - volunteering to explore outise the ship, and the captain Dallas replies "of course" or similar, instantly we know a great deal about the character - without him having to go OTT, with no exposition whatsoever. In Serenity the characters are introduced through dialogue in a style I don't like, so they never really have a chance of getting through and affecting me.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Unrivalled services
Freeola has to be one of, if not the best, ISP around as the services they offer seem unrivalled.
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.