GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Quiting Smoking --- Why its bad for you"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 05/10/05 at 18:26
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Right, so I have given up smoking aboutm 3 days ago; I should be feeling energised with clear breath ways right?

WRONG - I am in pain, my breathing is laboured with wheezing , and Im coughing ALL the time, in fact for most of today the distant taste of blood featured in my mouth.

I think Im goin to die. I can't have a passion filled sleep over anywhere, because Im worried that the constant coughing at night will annoy the person lying next to me.

Dammit apparently this is my body chucking all the nasties out and should last only 4 days.

To all those considering quitting - you have been warned...

PS: I am muchly in favour of giving up horrid cancer sticks
Sun 09/10/05 at 02:44
Regular
tigamilla wrote:

> Also Borat, if you can keep that up indefinately - then good for
> you! Thats how I started smoking, I would buy cigs on a night out and
> if I didn't finish the pack on the same night I would smoke the
> remaining ones the next day...

Me too, but I've found the best thing to do is give any left over away to mates who smoke. It may be a waste of money, but I still much prefer it to having the temptation.

Went through about 25 cigs last night at the pub. My taste buds are numb, my throat feels very constricted and I have a god awful taste in my mouth that won't go away. Meh, bloody things. I'm all for a complete ban - it'll be the extra spur I need to make me finally quit.
Sat 08/10/05 at 23:20
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Should be piling on the pounds now then.......
Fri 07/10/05 at 22:17
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Ok so its now Friday... How do I feel??

Quite frankly damn good... the coughing reached an unbearable peak a few days ago, before slowly turning into a lighter flemmy cough (disgusting I know, but much better from my point of view than a constant dry cough)...

Today however I woke up and felt for the first time an unrestricted air pipe - still coughing here and there but Im sure that by Monday all should be better than its been in a long bloomin while!!!

There - so to any would be quitters - hang in there, the rewards make it worthwhile...

Also Borat, if you can keep that up indefinately - then good for you! Thats how I started smoking, I would buy cigs on a night out and if I didn't finish the pack on the same night I would smoke the remaining ones the next day... and so the habit started... Otherwise for a long time I was happy to only smoke on nights out.
Thu 06/10/05 at 18:04
Regular
Good luck tigamilla, though I'm sure you'll do ok.

I'm a 'binge smoker' myself - my smoking habits have a symbiotic relationship with my drinking habits. This means that during the week and some weekends I am 100% free of alcohol and tobacco. But when I go out, I over-do both. I don't seem to be able to control it either - the drinking I'm ok with, I get to a stage where my head hurts and I can't be assed anymore, but I'll happily go through several packs a night if it's a long one.

Stupid really, although I'm reasonably happy with my habits - at least I don't smoke for 90% of the time, just got to work on the other 10%.

Doing Kickboxing regularly, I really notice when I've been at the cancer sticks.
Thu 06/10/05 at 13:51
Regular
"..."
Ok, my two penneth.

I've never smoked a single cigarette in my life, I have friends who have the occasional 'social' drag, but they have never put any pressure on me to join them. I did try weed when I was a fresher, I preferred this to ciggies because of the relative lack of chemicals. I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone though, as all it did was send me to sleep, so I soon gave that up.

I encouraged the missus to give up, as I didn't like the taste of stale fags on her breath. Plus we couldn't really afford to pay the 'smokers' premium on our life insurance, a pre-requsitie for our mortgage (yes there are other reasons to quit). She wanted to give up though, I just offered encouragement.

My Mum has had two bouts of breast cancer, my or may not be linked to the fact that she was a smoker of some 20-odd years. Who can say? I don't mind anyone smoking, as long as they don't blow their smoke in my face, or do it in an enclosed space like a car...
Thu 06/10/05 at 12:35
Regular
"I'm Back!!"
Oriental Rib wrote:
> when you smoke all the
> crap forms and dulls the hairs. So when you stop smoking the hairs
> suddenly go "WTF?" and start kicking some ass.

LMAO!
Thu 06/10/05 at 09:00
Regular
Alfonse, beleive or not smoking is a social thing as well y'know. I quit quite a while ago and had the exact same symptoms as you. It's because of the tiny hairs then the throat, when you smoke all the crap forms and dulls the hairs. So when you stop smoking the hairs suddenly go "WTF?" and start kicking some ass. Trust me though, it's heaven once you've quit for about a week. You'll really notice alot of difference in your breathing.
Thu 06/10/05 at 01:59
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Oh dear, there are some mis-informed posts here - smoking and the reasons behind it as well as why some people are more susceptible to addiction are as complex as the reason for our existence (well apart from my existence)... Dont be so quick to judge!!

Ms NY; Thanks for the encouragement!! - Yes I think the person sitting on chest image is pretty much real!! I have smoked on and off for about 5 years - for most of those it was about 3 cigs a day but lately it was about 8 to 14. (Gosh I'd hate to know what it feels like to be quitting after smoking more than 20 a day)! Ive been using a ventolin inhaler to calm the coughing (not really advisable) - This will be the second time that I quit for real, the first time was successful until I moved into a house with a smoker who kept offering me cigs... The pain and discomfort when I quit then was the same however.

As for cravings... I am of the opinion that they are very much a psychology thing, for one I don't actually enjoy smoking - and I think every smoker would agree that if you asked them whilst they were smoking if they ACTUALLY enjoyed the cigarette the answer would be "No"!! So on that basis I have managed to convince myself that I don't need cigarrettes, tonight I had someone to encourage me not to smoke (went out for a couple of drinks and that would have been the kind of atmosphere that I would smoke the most in)... other nights I think Nicotine patches will be essential!

Im hoping that by Saturday it should all be cleared up - with a "fresh set of lungs"! Whoo...
Thu 06/10/05 at 01:13
Regular
"cachoo"
Well done, tig. Seriously. Keep up with it.
How long have you been smoking for and how many a day? And aside from the coughing, etc, what about cravings? You never mentioned those..
Does your chest feel like you've got someone sitting on it?
Sorry for the Qs, but I'm interested.

They should scrap those "Smokin'll kill yuh!" stickers on cigarette packets and replace them with images. Of black lungs or something.
Or use threats.
"We know who you are. If you light up, we're coming to kill you while you sleep tonight. Have a good day now."
Text along the cigarette itself, "Light me and I'll set you alight, f****r."

But yeah, good for you tigamilla and good luck with it.
Thu 06/10/05 at 00:40
Regular
People smoke because they choose to.

Same as drinking.

Same as drugs.

Is that a really hard concept to grasp, Alfonse?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.