GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Okay, now the initial orgasm has worn off..."

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

This thread has been linked to the game 'Fable'.
Mon 11/10/04 at 08:35
Regular
Is Fable really worth getting taking into consideration the next few months?

I have the DS on pre-order, Halo 2 and Prince of Persia 2 on pre-order, my US PS'TWO' arriving this week with KillZone, GTA San Andreas and Xenosaga 2 on pre-order as well as Metal Gear 3 and Gran Turismo 4.

I don't want any 'ums' or 'ahhs', I just want a straight forward, honest, quick and dirty paragraph to sum up the game, both pros and cons and whether or not you actually think it is worth getting.

Cheers!
Mon 11/10/04 at 13:17
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think Fable is, story wise, just as long as most RPGs. What it doesn't do, is force you to spend ages running around and levelling up before you're strong enough to progress to the next bit.

Thats where most RPGs make up the game time. Its not that the story and stuff goes on forever, they just have you running around the same areas for hours, levelling up your character for ages so you can finally stand a chance against the next boss.

You can do that in Fable, but its not something thats forced. I'm more like Tilt on this game - I can spend ages just enjoying the community atmosphere in the game. Instead of running around the same bit of countryside and talking to boring, broken record style villagers, I can just stay in South Bowerstone (which I've pretty much chosen as my hometown) and just do stuff there, like take the wife to the tavern and maybe five finger discount a few things from peoples houses.

No RPG has ever really done that before - not even Morrowind. Theres plenty of freedom in Morrowind, but the people living in the towns are exactly the most intelligent. Last night I went into Bowerstone tavern with the wife again and some girl started coming onto me - the wife saw her do it and had a right go at her "Oi !! You leave my man alone you tart !!" ;-))
Mon 11/10/04 at 13:19
Regular
More so than Riddick? Knights of the Old Republic? Far Cry? Xenosaga? Disgea?

Erm...
Mon 11/10/04 at 13:27
Regular
Knights - bored the hell out of me.
Riddick - was good but not THAT good.
Xenosaga - intrests me about as much as a punch in the face.
Far Cry - Looks good but hasn't been released yet and I very much doubt it'll be better than Fable
Disgaea - See Xenosaga
Mon 11/10/04 at 13:44
Regular
I wasn't referring ot the dodgy Far Cry console rip. I just find it hard to believe that the general opinion from game reviewers is that Fable is just an average >> good RPG that falls way short of what was expected.

You must be the first person to say it is the best game of this generation.
Mon 11/10/04 at 13:55
Regular
I don't play PC games and have no intrest in playing them.

I guess it's all down to what floats your boat.

Oh and I never really looked too much into the previews of the game so I haven't been let down with all the things that Molyneux left out.
Mon 11/10/04 at 13:57
Regular
"ATAT Supremo"
I think Fable is excellent, one of my favourite games. But I don't dare give it the title of best console game of this generation with Halo 2 a month away. ;-)
Mon 11/10/04 at 14:08
Regular
"Laughingstock"
It's a cross between Zelda and Star Wars KOTOR - which means it's good (if you like that kind of thing).
Mon 11/10/04 at 14:28
Regular
"i missed the show!!"
I have been reading previews, listening to gossip, and generally being in the know about fable for the past 2 years, and i can quite honestly say that even though it isn't what it originally set out to be, it's an amazing game. I have played it solidly for the past 2 days, have still not finished the story, find every aspect of the gameplay enjoyable, and am generally bessoted with it. My real life is but a shdow of my game life :-)
Mon 11/10/04 at 15:01
Regular
"8==="
Tiltawhirl wrote:
>
> Best single player game of this generation of consoles.

Don't make me laugh.

There are xbox games with a lot more depth and replayability than this title, good as it is.
Mon 11/10/04 at 15:03
Regular
"8==="
and I'd much rather have it than POP 2 or the next GTA.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.