GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you speak up?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/09/05 at 11:22
Regular
A topic arose on The Wright Stuff this morning about speaking up to people who make bigot/racist/homophobic remarks. I decided to post this here as it's quite an interesting topic which has affected me in the past.

Say if you was in the pub and you over hear someone making racist remarks, do you speak up and say something? Or do you just keep in quiet?

It's quite a hard dilemma seeing as you'd be concerned on the outcome. I remember Goatboy saying he punched someone in a bar for making some joke/remark about 9/11.

I've heard my Grandma say racist things in the past, but I've never said anything against it because of the fact that my parents have been there, making it very awkward to speak up. My friends have said the same about their elders, I guess it's just the way they were brought up compared to us.

So yeah - Speak up or keep quiet?
Thu 08/09/05 at 16:10
Regular
"Excommunicated"
I was sitting next to a mate at school once, top bloke who I still see.

Some moron infront of us called him a 'Chinkk' or something and in a flash my mate smashed him accross the face.

Lesson: Don't be racist to people who are national karate champions
Thu 08/09/05 at 16:07
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
I've also gotten into a punch up with an idiot in school over some remarks he made about 9/11 to. Was a couple of days after it had happened and i still hadn't heard from my family over in New York to see if they were alright and as i'm walking past the moron says *hey i've got a bucket and spade if you want to go over and dig your family out the rubble*

He was lucky there was about 5 of my friends there to pull me off as i'd have done alot more than broke his nose given the chance
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:58
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I dont want to go into it to be honest, I tend to see red instantly on that topic and it's too sunny to be filled with rage.
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:50
Regular
"8==="
Hedfix wrote:
> So what did that guy say about 9/11 to make you punch him?
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:29
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Oh, and in answer to the original - yep and have done, will continue to do so.
But then this is the forum where people admitted they would do nothing on a bus/train if somebody was in trouble except "after I'd phone the police"
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:24
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I speak up...

Depending on my chances of getting leathered.
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:18
Regular
"8==="
So what did that guy say about 9/11 to make you punch him?
Thu 08/09/05 at 14:59
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
That doofus came to our place too.
Started talking about checking tariffs in the area because of overcharging etc and could he check a couple of electricity bills.
"Why not check the meter?" says I
"Ah, because it'd be butter uf we kid chick a bull"
"No. Are you Powergen?"
"Ummm...no, but it's the same cumpinee supplying, this would just be a duffrint name on tha bull"
"No, go away and stop pretending you're checking tariffs"
Thu 08/09/05 at 14:53
Regular
"Pouch Ape"
But what do you do when an idiot knocks at your door?

Few months back I was sitting at the girlfriend's house, the door knocked, her Dad answered it. Queue a good few minutes of trying to get rid of someone trying to sell us a contract for an electricity supplier, after hinting that he was from BT (later admitting he wasn't), then saying we'd corresponded before (as if putting junk in our letterbox counts). He then started calling us racists because the company was French and we weren't interested - he hadn't even told us that, and he was South African anyway so how we would we ever get that impression, the fool!

Long story short: I hope he has a wife and kids, just so they can leave him because of his stupidity.
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:43
Regular
"Twenty quid."
What FFF said.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.