GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you speak up?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/09/05 at 11:22
Regular
A topic arose on The Wright Stuff this morning about speaking up to people who make bigot/racist/homophobic remarks. I decided to post this here as it's quite an interesting topic which has affected me in the past.

Say if you was in the pub and you over hear someone making racist remarks, do you speak up and say something? Or do you just keep in quiet?

It's quite a hard dilemma seeing as you'd be concerned on the outcome. I remember Goatboy saying he punched someone in a bar for making some joke/remark about 9/11.

I've heard my Grandma say racist things in the past, but I've never said anything against it because of the fact that my parents have been there, making it very awkward to speak up. My friends have said the same about their elders, I guess it's just the way they were brought up compared to us.

So yeah - Speak up or keep quiet?
Fri 09/09/05 at 14:03
Regular
Your Honour wrote:
> They can say that. Why is that comment racist?
>
> EDIT: Would it not have been racist for him to have said "This
> nurse came over and she was as white as milk you know, and she
> actually did a good job!"

The difference in the two statements was "but"

"She was black as the night but she actaully did a good job" is as if trying to say you thought she'd do a bad job because she's black.

But by saying "and" you could just be trying to say that you don't expect nurses in general to do a good job.
Fri 09/09/05 at 13:57
Regular
Not at all. I just asked a question.

Why the abuse Sheepy?
Fri 09/09/05 at 13:47
Regular
"Excommunicated"
You're not being a knob are you?

Trying to suggest that only white people can be racist?
Fri 09/09/05 at 13:41
Regular
Ok, just checking.
Fri 09/09/05 at 13:27
Regular
"Excommunicated"
Of course that is racist Your Honour.

Unless he was saying she looked pale, suggesting she was ill and not up to the job.
Fri 09/09/05 at 13:11
Regular
Indeed.

So this would be equally racist:
"This nurse came over and she was as white as milk you know, and she actually did a good job!"
Would it?
Fri 09/09/05 at 12:58
Regular
"8==="
It implied they thought she'd be bad at her job because she was black.
Fri 09/09/05 at 12:56
Regular
They can say that. Why is that comment racist?

EDIT: Would it not have been racist for him to have said "This nurse came over and she was as white as milk you know, and she actually did a good job!"
Fri 09/09/05 at 12:48
Regular
My grandparents are racist too. I can't understand why elderly people become so racist. For example, my grandfather will come out with something like:

"well the nurse came over, and she was as black as the night you know, but she actually did a good job!"

And I just sit there quietly thinking "uhh you can't say that"
Fri 09/09/05 at 12:39
Regular
"Laughingstock"
I'd never put myself in the role of the politically correct thought police, but if somebody in my presence was saying stuff I thought was seriously unwholesome or stupid then yeah I'd speak up.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

I am delighted.
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do. I am delighted.
Brilliant service.
Love it, love it, love it!
Christopher

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.