GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Do you speak up?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 08/09/05 at 11:22
Regular
A topic arose on The Wright Stuff this morning about speaking up to people who make bigot/racist/homophobic remarks. I decided to post this here as it's quite an interesting topic which has affected me in the past.

Say if you was in the pub and you over hear someone making racist remarks, do you speak up and say something? Or do you just keep in quiet?

It's quite a hard dilemma seeing as you'd be concerned on the outcome. I remember Goatboy saying he punched someone in a bar for making some joke/remark about 9/11.

I've heard my Grandma say racist things in the past, but I've never said anything against it because of the fact that my parents have been there, making it very awkward to speak up. My friends have said the same about their elders, I guess it's just the way they were brought up compared to us.

So yeah - Speak up or keep quiet?
Fri 09/09/05 at 21:14
Regular
"8==="
WòókieeMøn§†€® wrote:
> Hedfix wrote:
> I don't find minority abuse as bad as racist abuse but that's just
> me.
>
> That's exactly what I mean. Everyone has their differing
> views/limits.
>
> Preaching the rights and wrongs of calling people the 'P' or 'N'
> words is all very well, but if you then turn round and laugh when
> someone uses the term 'pikey' or 'gyppo', you're a hypocrite. (Not
> you specifically, but 'you' in the general sense!)

Well I can see a degree of rational thought behind minority abuse (People assuming chavs will steal their car for instance) when there's a basis of fact behind such prejudice.

Racism on the other hand is not about 'who chooses to wear what cap etc' but to do with something someone is born with that they cannot change and THAT from of abuse is far more unacceptable than the same level of minority abuse in my opinion.
Fri 09/09/05 at 20:54
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Your Honour wrote:
> Good point Wookiee. And where do you draw the line? When does it stop
> being a throwaway comment that someone makes with zero hatred behind
> it, and when does it become racism?

More to the point, such throw away comments shouldn't be tolerated really.

I.e 'you're so gay' = you're suggesting that by calling someone gay you are in fact insulting them.

Before anyone moans about the evil spectre of political correctness, yeah, of course there is a line. Just ignorance doesn't give you a free pass to cross it everynow and then with some 'joking' remark.
Fri 09/09/05 at 20:52
Regular
"gsybe you!"
Whitestripes DX wrote:
> If I explain further, he always complains how he never gets a white
> doctor.

My aforementioned grandmother wouldn't have an Indian doctor touch her.

+

Yeah, I do speak up if I hear something really vile. It usually depends on the situation.
Fri 09/09/05 at 20:05
"High polygon count"
Hedfix wrote:
> I don't find minority abuse as bad as racist abuse but that's just me.

That's exactly what I mean. Everyone has their differing views/limits.

Preaching the rights and wrongs of calling people the 'P' or 'N' words is all very well, but if you then turn round and laugh when someone uses the term 'pikey' or 'gyppo', you're a hypocrite. (Not you specifically, but 'you' in the general sense!)
Fri 09/09/05 at 20:01
"High polygon count"
In terms of abuse (be it racist or any other kind), words are neither here nor there. As unpleasant as they may be, they do no harm, and they're only offensive if you let them offend you.

Abusive actions (such as spitting, violence etc.) are a different matter entirely.
Fri 09/09/05 at 19:59
Regular
"8==="
I don't find minority abuse as bad as racist abuse but that's just me.
Fri 09/09/05 at 19:55
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Your Honour wrote:
> Good point Wookiee. And where do you draw the line? When does it stop
> being a throwaway comment that someone makes with zero hatred behind
> it, and when does it become racism?

Problem is different people have different views on what's racist and what is a throwaway comment so the two are often overlapped and can lead to trouble.

Personally I'd keep quiet and ignore them, probably seems like a cop out but if there's no-one to listen the comments hopefully won't be made as much.
Fri 09/09/05 at 16:47
Regular
Good point Wookiee. And where do you draw the line? When does it stop being a throwaway comment that someone makes with zero hatred behind it, and when does it become racism?
Fri 09/09/05 at 16:27
"High polygon count"
I'm pretty sure no-one here is innocent.

Words like 'gay', 'pikey', 'gyppo' etc. are all thrown around on these forums - all terms of minority abuse in their own way, and all as bad as the more common terms everyone rages about.

Sticks and stones and all that.

As the victim of bullying and name-calling at school (many, many years ago), I've always felt that the best way to counter it is to shrug, say "whatever" and carry on. They soon get bored of it when you show it doesn't affect you.
Fri 09/09/05 at 15:11
Regular
That's made him look a little sheepish.

Oh dear.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Wonderful...
... and so easy-to-use even for a technophobe like me. I had my website up in a couple of hours. Thank you.
Vivien

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.