GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Know anything about Shakespeare?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Wed 07/09/05 at 13:44
Regular
"For One Night Only"
I don't like having to ask as much as you won't like to have to read, but...

After spending countless months saying that I'm not going to university and that I'm going to enjoy a gap-year, I've got an a uni audition through clearing.

Situation: It's this Friday, and I have NOTHING prepared.

Aswell as having a regular monolgue memorised I'd probably profit from having a bit of Shakespeare, too. So... Does anyone know any Shakespeare monologues (preferably comedy rather than tragedy) for a young man (me) to play, and where can I find it (I don't own any Shakespeare)?

Cheers.
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:45
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Smooth...
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:23
Regular
"bot"
kk! Queen's, Belfast.
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:17
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Memorandum! wrote:
> The Hibernator wrote:
> And Memo... which university are YOU going to? That is
> the question.
>
> Do you actually want to know or was it just an excuse to do
> that?

Both...

Also, I've found my monologue now, I'm going to read The part of Malvolio from "The Twelfth Night".
Thu 08/09/05 at 15:16
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
Midsummer's Night Dream.
Demetrius having a go at some girl who fawns over him, basically calling her a stupid dog and saying he hates her.
I played Demetrius and and *waves* Alison was Helena. To be in costume on a balmy evening in a marquee whilst a large-fronted lass played opposite.
I remember that scene cos I didn't learn it till the evening before:

Demetrius
"Do I entice you? do I speak you fair? Or, rather, do I not in plainest truth, tell you, I do not, nor I cannot love you?

Helena
"And even for that do I love you the more. I am your spaniel. And Demetrius, the more you beat me, I will fawn on you. Use me - but as your spaniel. Spurn me, strike me, neglect me, lose me, but give me leave, unworthy as I am, to follow you.What worser place can I beg in your love,-- And yet a place of high respect with me,- Than to be used as you use your dog?"

Gave me the Eng-Lit horn that did.
Er...Uni, yeah. Nice place.
Thu 08/09/05 at 14:15
Regular
"bot"
The Hibernator wrote:
> the question.

Do you actually want to know or was it just an excuse to do that?
Thu 08/09/05 at 13:10
The Hibernator wrote:
> the question.

Hamlet was an emo gaylord.
Thu 08/09/05 at 11:05
Regular
"For One Night Only"
Azul luvs u wrote:
> ahahahahah you know nothing about Shakespeare at all but you want to
> use some to try and get into a uni?
>
> Good luck to you mate...

I'm laughing aswell. I knew too well that I'd need a piece of Shakespeare much earlier in the year and never bothered getting one then. Alas, I am an idiot, I can happily admit it. So today I'm going back to college to talk to my old tutor, she's agreed to give me some audition advice.

Also, cheers tnc, good idea but I don't see it happening.

And Memo... which university are YOU going to? That is the question.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:03
Regular
Yes, but if you have no idea and need an in-depth study pronto, you want it as easy as possible.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:02
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Shakespeare really isn't different enough to warrant needing a complete translation. Once you get into the swing of it it's easy, like Chaucer.
Wed 07/09/05 at 21:18
Regular
Wasn't the Taming of the Shrew one of his comedies?

Anywhom, I have a translated copy of Romeo and Juliet (English and Ye Olde Englishe) which I used to understand the stranger bits of the play. I know it isn't a comedy and I'm not sure if the level is deep enough but the guides are made by Stanley Thomas and cover the comedies; such as Henry V, Othello and Twelfth Night.

The only disadvantage being that it was published in 1984 and doesn't have a website. Just search for the title, Shakespeare Made Easy and the publisher, Stanley Thomas.

Better yet, write and buy a book before the deadline;

Ellenborough House,
Wellington Street,
CHELTENHAM,
Glos. GL50 1YW

(May help for searching)

If all else fails search for Alan Durband

Aha! I've found the site - [URL]www.shakespearemadeeasy.com/[/URL]

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Simple, yet effective...
This is perfect, so simple yet effective, couldnt believe that I could build a web site, have alrealdy recommended you to friends. Brilliant.
Con

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.