GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TV Tuners?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/09/05 at 10:45
Regular
"the burning sky"
Just wondering if anyone has one of these in their PC, as I am currently looking at getting one, as I really dont want to lug a TV to Uni. Understandably the quality wont be as good in most of the cheaper ones, but if someone could recommend one to me, it'd be of great help. I'm just looking for the basic thing really, maybe text as well, nothing too fancy (or expensive). Thanks in advance...
Thu 22/09/05 at 12:25
Regular
"the burning sky"
Got put in Fairfax, supposedly no Internet in those rooms? Balls...

Just called up and it's beeing fitted this week. Wonderful! It seems i'm on the opposite side of campus to the rest. It's only quoted as a ten minute walk, so I suppose it's reasonable :D
Thu 22/09/05 at 12:55
Regular
"NULL"
What subject you doing?
Thu 22/09/05 at 13:03
Regular
"the burning sky"
Nimco wrote:
> What subject you doing?

Maths and Computing. So do you know anything about Fairfax?
Thu 22/09/05 at 13:22
Regular
"the burning sky"
Just remembered to actually ask. Do York block a lot of ports, say from playing online games and whatnot?
Thu 22/09/05 at 14:57
Regular
They shouldn't do, the network in our University is pretty happy with what you use the service for, unless it's illegal or bandwidth consuming.
Thu 22/09/05 at 15:06
Regular
"NULL"
Tomm wrote:
> Just remembered to actually ask. Do York block a lot of ports, say
> from playing online games and whatnot?

They block pretty well everything. [URL]http://www.sns.york.ac.uk/[/URL]

There are ways to get through, but they're not ideal, and they will notice if you are doing anything regular or bandwidth intensive.

BUT....I don't know what the situation is at Fairfax. It may not be part of the SNS (I know last year my mate who was there didn't have SNS and he just grouped together with the other people and they got their own broadband supplied there), in which case, you're a luck b@$tard! Lol. I'll try and check for you.
Thu 22/09/05 at 15:31
Regular
"the burning sky"
Nimco wrote:
> Tomm wrote:
> Just remembered to actually ask. Do York block a lot of ports, say
> from playing online games and whatnot?
>
> They block pretty well everything.
> [URL]http://www.sns.york.ac.uk/[/URL]
>
> There are ways to get through, but they're not ideal, and they will
> notice if you are doing anything regular or bandwidth intensive.
>
> BUT....I don't know what the situation is at Fairfax. It may not be
> part of the SNS (I know last year my mate who was there didn't have
> SNS and he just grouped together with the other people and they got
> their own broadband supplied there), in which case, you're a luck
> b@$tard! Lol. I'll try and check for you.

Fairfax are having a new connection put in this next week according to the woman at the accomodation office. Hmm not that I'll be playing online games over the first few weeks so it doesnt matter too much. Now to go and wretch, atfer inhaling some of the really tiny hairs left from my haircut :D
Thu 22/09/05 at 17:08
Regular
"the burning sky"
tigamilla wrote:
> If you end up in Alcuin or James college, each room has a TV socket
> so that should work perfectly. I would hold out on the purchase until
> you know which college you're going to end up in...

So how about Fairfax? I think its the only one you didnt mention :p
Thu 22/09/05 at 19:15
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Tomm wrote:
> tigamilla wrote:
> If you end up in Alcuin or James college, each room has a TV socket
> so that should work perfectly. I would hold out on the purchase
> until
> you know which college you're going to end up in...
>
> So how about Fairfax? I think its the only one you didnt mention :p

Fairfax eh? - Tends to form a tight "outside community" ;-) well seeing as its on the town side of the Uni I would imagine the reception would much much better, might even have TV sockets in the rooms;

As for the 10 minute walk thing... Well hah hah (Ill let you discover that one for yourself) I used to play online games and had bittorrent working over the network for most of the year with no problems using an HTTP tunnel (costs about £1.50 a month) the bandwidth used was tiny so I never had any problems with the admin, although ridiculously they sent an email round 2 days before the end of the year informing us that they knew filesharing was being used on the network etc etc... They're pretty sound really
Thu 22/09/05 at 20:55
Regular
"the burning sky"
tigamilla wrote:
> As for the 10 minute walk thing... Well hah hah (Ill let you
> discover that one for yourself)

I kinda guessed by looking at the maps. But i'm used to my walk home taking about 40mins where I live atm. At least if people go into the town, i have the shortest walk back. So how long is it really? And about that outside community thing, I was kinda worried that would happen, but since I'll have friends already spread across campus, I shouldnt be limited to the one's just living in Fairfax etc. Let's just hope they aren't all nobtards...

Edit: by car, to drive from where I am on my side of campus to the other side of campus it's only 1.5miles. So it'll probably be less that a mile walk straight thro the campus...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thank you very much for your help!
Top service for free - excellent - thank you very much for your help.
Many thanks!!
Registered my website with Freeola Sites on Tuesday. Now have full and comprehensive Google coverage for my site. Great stuff!!
John Shepherd

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.