GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"TV Tuners?"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Tue 06/09/05 at 10:45
Regular
"the burning sky"
Just wondering if anyone has one of these in their PC, as I am currently looking at getting one, as I really dont want to lug a TV to Uni. Understandably the quality wont be as good in most of the cheaper ones, but if someone could recommend one to me, it'd be of great help. I'm just looking for the basic thing really, maybe text as well, nothing too fancy (or expensive). Thanks in advance...
Sat 10/09/05 at 01:01
Regular
I reacently installed a compro videomate gold +2 , can't get the power on function to work because i would need to rewire my on switch because it and the light are all joined together into the same connecter, the tv card doesnt take a double one.
The actual tv quality is good, will be better when i plug it into a main arial, i have to plug my speakers into the card aswell at the back, i cant find the aux sound port on my mainboard, therefor have to switch when i want to watch TV.
recording works perfectly doing it instant, havent tested a scheduled record yet.
the remote is nice.
Sat 10/09/05 at 01:02
"period drama"
Don't forget your TV license.
Sat 10/09/05 at 01:12
Regular
yeah cheers.
Sat 10/09/05 at 07:54
Regular
Cheers Nimco, I'll give it a try when I have time to make use of the trial period (finishing uni coursework at the moment :'^( )

Another way of doing the TV thing is to get a very basic video input card and some free viewing software.
Then you get a VCR (which has TV tuner stuff built into it so it can pick up and record TV signals).
You hook the VCR to the video input (and audio input or some speakers), probably using a scart to composite (red, white, yellow) cable.
Then you select channels through the VCR, and display the video input directly.

No teletext, but you should be able to find any info you'd want on the net.

If you'd have a video anyway that'd be the cheapest way to do it (cost: one cheap video input card and maybe a couple of cables).
Wed 21/09/05 at 18:20
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Tomm wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has one of these in their PC, as I am
> currently looking at getting one, as I really dont want to lug a TV
> to Uni. Understandably the quality wont be as good in most of the
> cheaper ones, but if someone could recommend one to me, it'd be of
> great help. I'm just looking for the basic thing really, maybe text
> as well, nothing too fancy (or expensive). Thanks in advance...

Tomm... Your the guy thats going to York right? I have a freeview tuner in my PC which works despite what the freeview website says... which college are you going to be in? <-- That matters a lot.
Wed 21/09/05 at 18:23
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
By the way guys the best freeview tuner on the market bar none (developed by a small British company):

www.nebula-electronics.com

Allows many things including streaming TV over a network etc...record while you watch - you can even record more than one channel at a time if they lie in the same multiplex...

I highly recommend it - the update frequency is also impressive
Wed 21/09/05 at 18:41
Regular
"the burning sky"
tigamilla wrote:
> Tomm... Your the guy thats going to York right? I have a freeview
> tuner in my PC which works despite what the freeview website says...
> which college are you going to be in? <-- That matters a lot.

There are 5 of us coming from the same Sixth Form. Three of us have accommo info, me and another guy dont. I've been patiently waiting, and apparantly it should come 2 weeks before I start, which only leaves a couple of days. If the other guy gets it and I dont then I'll ring up and see what's going on.

For reference one guy is in Goodriche A. Another in Edens Court F and the other in Edens court quiet area :P
Wed 21/09/05 at 18:53
Regular
"The mighty GE90-115"
Hmm... I think that Goodricke should be fine for freeview, Eden's court and Halifax are concrete jungles and I had very little luck getting my tuner to pick up more than a single channel, (and that was by dangling my aerial out of a third storey window). (I live very close to campus now in a so called freeview deadzone - yet the reception is brilliant)

If you end up in Alcuin or James college, each room has a TV socket so that should work perfectly. I would hold out on the purchase until you know which college you're going to end up in...
Wed 21/09/05 at 19:07
Regular
"NULL"
Ask him where he is in Goodricke A. I was in Goodricke A last year.

I was ground floor, and I was one of the few people who could get an analogue signal at all. I tried Freeview, but with the aerial I had and the booster I was using, it would only pick up a few channels - none of the major ones like BBC either.

Ask him which room he's in, and I might be able to tell him for sure either way.
Wed 21/09/05 at 19:27
Regular
"the burning sky"
Nimco wrote:
> Ask him which room he's in, and I might be able to tell him for sure
> either way.

I'm not sure he's taking a TV so I dont think he's bothered. But yeah I'll wait till I find out which college i'm in before I commit.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.