GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:38
"period drama"
*two big thumbs up*
Doesn't really take a genius to find graphical faults with an N64 game now, does it?
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:36
Regular
At the time though they were top of the range. I agree games have improved so much that games from that era look seriously dated. They are still great games.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:35
Regular
OoT's graphics are not solid. The camera lets you see through walls and renders the back of polygons.

There are billboards everywhere (2D objects in place of 3D modelled objects).

There is nightmare pop-up.

There are artefacts when rendering particles.

It suffers slow down when a few things happen on the screen at once (which could be an emulation or difference between the GC and N64 issue, I don't know, many things could cause that.

The pre-rendered backgrounds are very poor. They are overstreached and are blurred by bilinear filtering to the point of distraction.

There is nightmaring texture aliasing.

If you want me to list some more problems with the graphics, I'd be happy to continue.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:31
Regular
Well games have progressed so much you barely notice the transition.
Wed 07/09/05 at 23:24
"period drama"
Actually, I found OoT's graphics surprisingly solid when I played it through recently. I was expecting much, much worse.

But yeah, there's always room for improvement, and people really will tell the difference.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:36
Regular
Marinky_Kongshi wrote:
> See, this is what happens when new consoles are relentlessly dished
> out. I blame new graphics. What's wrong with keeping the graphics the
> way they where? I'm sure no-one would notice the difference...

NOOOOOOOO!!!!

I'm playing through Ocarina of Time on the GC now to see if I was wrong about it first time I played it and the graphics are rotten by today's standards.

So many pre-rendered backgrounds and billboards. I hate the graphics, just shows how bad the N64 was and how much better than it the PS2 really is!!!!!

The Wind Waker looks so much better than Ocarina of Time, that's not a bad thing.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:34
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> The Kokiri were the ones I really wanted to save during OOT. The
> beloved children of the forest.

No, the Kokiri should die. I say a mass forest fire should be enough to see them off.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:27
Regular
Eh?

The DS is nothing special but I MIGHT get one if the games improve.

What point are you trying to make? Why don't you sod off.
Wed 07/09/05 at 20:20
"Yes yes, I can't wait. It should be a good Xmas for NInty, but sometimes they can be not so good. Pokemon will sell well, but I don't think it will be great. Geist; don't listen to the reviews, I'm definitely gong to buy it. Neal is gay, give me your address, I'm fiery with emotion but yet bored. DS sucks, but I may get one."
Wed 07/09/05 at 19:57
"The Will of D."
It was mentioned on the game that the Rutos evolved from race that lived in the ocean, though why they needed to I don't know. If you don't recall hearing it then it might have been mentioned in the Hyrulian language that gets translated in the second play through once you finished the game.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.