GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:05
Regular
"Divine Davine"
I'm depressed with gaming right now :(

There is quite simply nothing screaming 'buy me!!!!' anymore and I just don't excited when I get a new game. I remember the days of the N64/Dreamcast era, I would walk into EB and would basically cream everywhere. Now? I feel nothing.

C'mon Revolution. C'MON.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:09
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Really? So you're trying to tell me Kameo doesn't look like an
> adventure game, Perfect Dark 0 doesn't look like a FPS.... that Ghost
> Recon 3 isn't the third in a suprisingly similar series.

Again, rich coming from someone who exalts all things regurgitatingly Nintendo, but hey we know what the almighty and right Dringo thinks of my opinions :).

> I can't stand these games anymore. I'm not even really looking
> forward to the Twilight Princess because it looks like another game.

Surprising to hear the TP looks like another game. I've been saying this about the 3D Zelda's for a while now. There decent enough but get boring eventually :).

> I am bored of games. They are all boring. The game industry has
> reached a peak that for every small jump we are paying more money.

Now, I'll ask again to another "games are boring post". Have you played:

Lumines
Meteos
Disgaea
Otogi
Beyond Good And Evil
XIII

What's that?? No, thought not :).

> Bonus will sprout rubbish regarding how PC games can be made easily
> on the 360 or what have you but I don't really care. Bar a few more
> characters on screen all I'm seeing is technical advancements... I am
> seeing the same old games and you can't really get new games on
> similar systems.

It's not rubbish, it's true, whether you like it or not's your opinion, doesn't make it rubbish. It's true that technical advancements don't make better games, no one is disputing that. As for a "few" more characters on screen, haha, Kameo has loads of extra characters on screen :-).

I wouldn't dispute that the game sindustry is going in a direction where most games are the same as the last but with better graphics. This way developers are making games with minimal coding changed to the engines and just mere storyline changes. Which is exactly what Nintendo did with it's games from the N64 to the Gamecube and it wasn't exactly a resounding success, maybe they've learned their lesson.

> I don't believe Revolution's gonna change a thing. But I really hope
> it does.

It's all based around this controller which has to be conventional enough to let you play SNES, NES and N64 games on it too, or their expecting you to buy a controller for each backward compatible system........

> Because I cannot imagine myself buying another game after Killer 7.

Awww, you just need to look for the good games which are different from the mould, somehting like Katamari Damacy on the PSP or it's sequeal on the PS2 if it comes out over here. Even Killer 7 isn't particularly exciting in terms of gameplay from what I've seen, just a decent story.

That's where I think too many Nintendo fans wrote off the PS2. It does have some low-selling exceptional games which you might have missed out (Ico anyone??) on by relying too much on Nintendo to deliver, and in my opinion, it wasn't it's usual self this generation.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:16
Regular
"Mozzy"
I think Dringo talks about games too much, so much that he hasn't time to play them.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:17
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
Yeah, good points there...

I still have faith in Nintendo, but I do believe that having one of each console was necessary this generation.

GC: For Wind Waker, Mario, Starfox Adventures, PIKMIN and it's sequel, Smash Bros., F-Zero..

XBOX: HALO, KOTOR, Rainbow, Crimson Skies, Otogi II, Splinter Cell 3.

PS2: Amplitude, Ico, GTAs, Jaks, Slys, GT3/4, Pro Evo/2/3/4/5 :D, SSX/Tricky/3.

IN fact, i'd honeslty have to say the PS2 has provided the most fun this generation. I play my XBOX most becuse of RS3 on LIVE, but when I first played Pro Evo, and first turned on Ico, and first got to the top of Peak 3 in SSX... those were the moments.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:21
Regular
Game wrote:
> I still have faith in Nintendo, but I do believe that having one of
> each console was necessary this generation.

Hence why I owned all three :)

> GC: For Wind Waker, Mario, Starfox Adventures, PIKMIN and it's
> sequel, Smash Bros., F-Zero..

Pikmin was ace, but I got rid of it after I completed it :).

> XBOX: HALO, KOTOR, Rainbow, Crimson Skies, Otogi II, Splinter Cell
> 3.

KOTOR SUCKED!!!!! :D.

> PS2: Amplitude, Ico, GTAs, Jaks, Slys, GT3/4, Pro Evo/2/3/4/5 :D,
> SSX/Tricky/3.

Way, PS2 rules :). Didn't even mention the most genius game of the generation in Rez :D. Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance was also immense playing through on co-op. I think that came out on all platforms eventually :). A PSP version of something similar to that would go down well in my book :).

> IN fact, i'd honeslty have to say the PS2 has provided the most fun
> this generation. I play my XBOX most becuse of RS3 on LIVE, but when
> I first played Pro Evo, and first turned on Ico, and first got to the
> top of Peak 3 in SSX... those were the moments.

:-D. I agree whole-heartedly, the smaller excellent games on the PS2 were some of the best of this generation, from the weakest of the three consoles (in theory), don't get me started on that :D.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:26
Regular
Bonus wrote:

Lumines

No I haven't don't plan too.

> Meteos

Yeah but it is still a puzzler.

> Beyond Good And Evil

It's an adventure game... which I've finished. Very good. Still nothing new.

> XIII

Again completed it... a shooter... with comic book graphics... yay...

>> I wouldn't dispute that the game sindustry is going in a direction
> where most games are the same as the last but with better graphics.
> This way developers are making games with minimal coding changed to
> the engines and just mere storyline changes. Which is exactly what
> Nintendo did with it's games from the N64 to the Gamecube and it
> wasn't exactly a resounding success, maybe they've learned their
> lesson.

You haven't read posts from me for months I can tell because I have left the fanboy behind. I am really into Online gaming and the X-box at the moment. That's not a Nintendo console and I don't plan to get a DS. The Gamecube is boring as well... I'm not disputing that. I have just started getting into online gaming but i can't see it holding my attention for long.

> It's all based around this controller which has to be conventional
> enough to let you play SNES, NES and N64 games on it too, or their
> expecting you to buy a controller for each backward compatible
> system........

Unless you can plug Gamecube controllers into it.

> Awww, you just need to look for the good games which are different
> from the mould, somehting like Katamari Damacy on the PSP or it's
> sequeal on the PS2 if it comes out over here. Even Killer 7 isn't
> particularly exciting in terms of gameplay from what I've seen, just
> a decent story.

Errr it's unlike any game ever.

> That's where I think too many Nintendo fans wrote off the PS2. It
> does have some low-selling exceptional games which you might have
> missed out (Ico anyone??) on by relying too much on Nintendo to
> deliver, and in my opinion, it wasn't it's usual self this
> generation.

Sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't. I still Double Dash is just out of this world.

Ico is a quality game...

But I REALLY need something REALLY new... the DS might be worthwhile... but I need to play on it more.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:30
Regular
"bit of a brain"
Dringo wrote:
> I can't stand these games anymore. I'm not even really looking
> forward to the Twilight Princess because it looks like another game.

Yeah... good one. What were you expecting?

> I am bored of games. They are all boring. The game industry has
> reached a peak that for every small jump we are paying more money.

You're like a whiney little girl who's bored of her christmas presents. If you're bored of games don't play them and find something else to do that does interest you. Like golf, or darts or drawing pretty rocks. Just stop complaining in EVERY SINGLE THREAD that games are boring.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:32
"period drama"
Wha? Zelda's a game?
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:38
Regular
Dringo wrote:
> Lumines
>
> No I haven't don't plan too.
>
> Meteos
>
> Yeah but it is still a puzzler.

Quality :-). Puzzle games keep the grey matter going, you'll appreciate that when you're old and decrepit.

> Beyond Good And Evil
>
> It's an adventure game... which I've finished. Very good. Still
> nothing new.

Hmmm, I'd wouldn't dispute that it wasn't ground breaking, but it did bring togehter a few ideas from other games in a new way.

> XIII
>
> Again completed it... a shooter... with comic book graphics...
> yay...

Good for you, diversity is the spice of life. Again, a game which is much about the story as it is the means of it's delivery :).

> You haven't read posts from me for months I can tell because I have
> left the fanboy behind. I am really into Online gaming and the X-box
> at the moment. That's not a Nintendo console and I don't plan to get
> a DS. The Gamecube is boring as well... I'm not disputing that. I
> have just started getting into online gaming but i can't see it
> holding my attention for long.

It wasn't aimed at your long-held fanboy-ism, even if it is gone, simply the fact that we're in teh Nintendo forum makes it get a Nintendo slant....

> Unless you can plug Gamecube controllers into it.

I doubt it, Nintendo are the for-runners of console peripheral cash-cows :D.

> Errr it's unlike any game ever.

Errrr, I didn't think so, but I'm open to being wrong on this one :).

> That's where I think too many Nintendo fans wrote off the PS2. It
> does have some low-selling exceptional games which you might have
> missed out (Ico anyone??) on by relying too much on Nintendo to
> deliver, and in my opinion, it wasn't it's usual self this
> generation.
>
> Sometimes they were, sometimes they weren't. I still Double Dash is
> just out of this world.

Double dash is qulaity. Simply becasue it's Mario 64 with tarted up graphcs and the ability to hold 2 weapons at once. Nintendo shoudl have re-worked the N64 games tracks into it too though, I miss Wario Stadium :). Mario Kart is still limited as a single player game too.

> Ico is a quality game...
>
> But I REALLY need something REALLY new... the DS might be
> worthwhile... but I need to play on it more.

I don't like the DS, personal opinion :D.
Mon 05/09/05 at 14:38
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Wha? Zelda's a game?

Depends, listen to some people in here, it's a lifestyle :D.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.
Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.