GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Farewell Zelda"

The "Nintendo Games" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 05/09/05 at 12:33
Regular
I had a feeling this was going to happen.

With the revolution set to introduce a DS style new way of playing games I began to wonder what lies ahead for Nintendo's main mascots.

Mario, as Miyamoto put it in a recent interview, is a "concept title"... it is the game that promotes change and therefore will thrive under new control methods and systems. Pikmin looks set to be a DS title whilst the likes of Pokemon can still easily work on the DS as well. Metroid has already been confirmed for both next generation handheld and home system whilst Donkey Kong, Wario and Kirby no longer have a defining genre anyway.

What about Zelda? In a recent interview with a radio station Miyamoto said, regarding the new Twilight Princess:

"This will be, without a doubt, the last Zelda game as you know it in its present form."

A delay makes more sense. Granted I was glad to hear Nintendo were willing to delay the game from its almost ideal position as a competitor for the X-box 360 in order to make it better. But still, from a finacial point of view, it doesn't make sense. But it seems Nintendo are being all nostaligic. For an epic Zelda game as we know it will not work on Revolution, much as one wouldn't really work on the DS.

So in theory, this is potentially the last true Zelda game ever. Miyamoto also said that this is the game he has worked most closely on in years and years.

It is very sad to say goodbye to some legendary Nintendo games. But the future holds promise.

"Mario is and always has been a concept title from his birth. We are always looking for new ways of playing with him, manipulating him, to create something new and unique. We're in the midst of preparing something special for his future, something never before seen. You'll understand when you see it that we can't quite release it right away. The new Mario game will surprise many people. Give us the benefit of the doubt. I think we'll present you with a new way to have fun. There's even a new character by his side.

"We based the Revolution around this new type of game. Mario 128 played a large role in the Revolution's conception, much like Mario 64 in it's time. But we won't just be focusing on Mario. We're working on some very impressive games which push interactivity to the max - games of a new era."

Does sound promising... doesn't it?

Dringo.
Fri 09/09/05 at 01:05
Regular
Well the other option is to stall the game while the texure loads.

If you have a hard drive cache or enough RAM to handle the scene (remembering the PS2 only has 32Mb RAM and 4Mb VRAM then those problems go away themselves as they can be accessed much quicker than from a DVD.
Fri 09/09/05 at 00:56
"period drama"
That was my major gripe as well ... when you've been burning at full-speed then stop suddenly, all the textures and stuff take an age to load properly from the blurred "look I'm driving fast! / please don't break my PS2" effects.
Fri 09/09/05 at 00:54
Regular
The problem with San Andreas was that sometimes things didn't load fast enough>

They made teh whole "blurring effect" to "make it look as if the car's going faster", but really just to mask the fact that they couldn't load anything that fast, and as a result, often things wouldn't load visually, but be there, so you'd crash into cars which appear milliseconds before you smash into them.

That was the main graphical probelm.

Otherwise I don't have any problems with it.
Fri 09/09/05 at 00:52
Regular
FinalFantasyFanatic wrote:
> Aye, GTA couldn't really (well, at all) afford to have better
> graphics. San An really was pushing the limit of what the PS2 could
> do in terms of speed-loading stuff and loading loads of different
> things as once, and it showed.

Yep, at last we agree on something :-).

This is exactly the sort of game which benefits from a hard-drive cache and makes the console manufacturers look even more daft for not including them in their new systems.
Fri 09/09/05 at 00:50
"period drama"
Aye, GTA couldn't really (well, at all) afford to have better graphics. San An really was pushing the limit of what the PS2 could do in terms of speed-loading stuff and loading loads of different things as once, and it showed.
Fri 09/09/05 at 00:28
Regular
Psyİho Fox 19 wrote:
> The latest GTA games seem to be way to chunky, remeniscent of several
> PS1 games.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find any PS1 game with physics as good as GTA doing the sort of massive draw distances San Andreas manages and the sheer number of non-player actors involed, including cars, the drivers, passangers and pedestrians.

It's a polygon pushing monster, not particularly detailed but there is an awful lot going on for any console this generation to deal with.
Thu 08/09/05 at 22:09
Regular
"The definitive tag"
Psyİho Fox 19 wrote:
> The latest GTA games seem to be way to chunky, remeniscent of several
> PS1 games.

Visuals had to be sacraficed in favour of everything else. Don't forget, the GTA games, San Andreas in particular, are all disc space guzzling monsters.
Thu 08/09/05 at 21:25
"The Will of D."
The latest GTA games seem to be way to chunky, remeniscent of several PS1 games.
Thu 08/09/05 at 18:55
Regular
CBFD is good graphically... but little detail.
Thu 08/09/05 at 16:47
Regular
Bonus wrote:
> You're the one claiming they're surprisingly solid, so obviously
> closer to the state of knowledgable enlightenment than yourself ;-).

I'd still call it solid. I mean, yeah you managed to nitpick a few problems with it but I'd still call it "solid". But hey, I'd say that same thing about Final Fantasy 7. Maybe I am a sucker for retro graphics.

I actually think that Conker's Bad Fur Day out does 90% of modern games, especially in the animation department...

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Great services and friendly support
I have been a subscriber to your service for more than 9 yrs. I have got at least 12 other people to sign up to Freeola. This is due to the great services offered and the responsive friendly support.
First Class!
I feel that your service on this occasion was absolutely first class - a model of excellence. After this, I hope to stay with Freeola for a long time!

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.