GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Stuttering"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/09/05 at 23:23
"Tesco value"
After changing my CPU cooler to hopefully solve a problem of stuttering during Battlefield 2 (Brought a Gigabyte cooler pro) my game still stutters, even with the fan speed on maximum.

Now, I'm running 2x 512 mb PC3200 400mhz RAM, could it be these pain in the ass things overheating now?

you play for a while, it stutters, then stops, and again, over and over, ping stays at a healthy 28ms

would cooling solve the stuttering?
I've got a pentium 3.4 ghz HT, and I assumed it was the chip underclocking to cool down, but this new cooler with heatpipes and whatever should have surely solved the CPU side of things.

I'm using a ATI X800, but my PSU is only 300W, would this have anything to do with it? is the card overheating?

I feel I should just chuck it all in a bag and place it in a bucket of water :-(
Thanks in advance
Fri 02/09/05 at 12:15
"Tesco value"
gerrid wrote:
> No, it's not normal. you sure the airflow inside your case is decent?
> Where are your fans/how many do you have/what speed are they?

It was only one at the moment, on the CPU, the £30 gigabyte cooler.

I've added an exhaust fan this morning, seemed ok in BF2 with no stuttering, although it usually happens in the chopper.

the exhaust is running at 2200 RPM and the CPU at 4500 when on games, then I can put it back at 2000. it's an 3.4HT pentium 4 with 1mb cache, so I would guess it gets pretty hot.

I might get a fan to blow cool air in from the front, might be tricky but I'll see what maplin has to offer
Fri 02/09/05 at 12:12
"Tesco value"
fff. ffffuu. f uc... ff off

shut up Wookie ;^)
Fri 02/09/05 at 11:06
"High polygon count"
Computer stuttering?

[URL]http://www.speech4kids.com/indexstutter.htm[/URL]
Fri 02/09/05 at 10:59
Regular
"bit of a brain"
No, it's not normal. you sure the airflow inside your case is decent? Where are your fans/how many do you have/what speed are they?
Thu 01/09/05 at 23:41
"Tesco value"
Cheers Tyla.

I'll have a look. I think it is set to ADSL.
I'm using tiscali 2mbs and the connection is good, a few D/Cs but not bad overall, just a bottleneck/heating issue somewhere in the comp

EDIT:

I've had a look, it was on T1 for some reason, I've yet to have a look what it has done in game.

As for the Bios, it was a computer from work, they did a scheme. So the Bios set-up is very basic, you can't get in there to change much, espcially aperture size.

The card that I replaced was a 9600 256mb, so hopefully the correct settings for the memory were added before they disabled user editing!

EDIT: Just checked my CPU temp in BIOS, when fan speed is on 4000, the teperature still hangs around 60 degrees, with the CPU not even being worked, is this normal?
Thu 01/09/05 at 23:38
Regular
"l33t cs50r"
I was running BF2 on:

250w PSU
X800 Pro @ XT/16 pipes
1GB DDR333 2700 (512, 256, 256)
XP 2400+ Stock cooling

All settings on Medium.

No problems at all on a 3Mb NTL connection (and NTL have srious issues with BF2 connections)

Out of interest, do you have you connection settings in BF2 set to Internet/ADSL/Cable and NOT T1/Lan? This has a negative effect on game performance if set at the higher.

If not, try altering the setting in the graphics options, the Dynamic T&L and lighting can cause issues if using less than 2GB Ram.

If your using AGP too, in the BIOS set your AGP Apeture to 256 AT LEAST! Some of the levels shunt around 300Mb of texture data and this can cause serious bottle necks if the AGP Ap is less than 256.
Thu 01/09/05 at 23:23
"Tesco value"
After changing my CPU cooler to hopefully solve a problem of stuttering during Battlefield 2 (Brought a Gigabyte cooler pro) my game still stutters, even with the fan speed on maximum.

Now, I'm running 2x 512 mb PC3200 400mhz RAM, could it be these pain in the ass things overheating now?

you play for a while, it stutters, then stops, and again, over and over, ping stays at a healthy 28ms

would cooling solve the stuttering?
I've got a pentium 3.4 ghz HT, and I assumed it was the chip underclocking to cool down, but this new cooler with heatpipes and whatever should have surely solved the CPU side of things.

I'm using a ATI X800, but my PSU is only 300W, would this have anything to do with it? is the card overheating?

I feel I should just chuck it all in a bag and place it in a bucket of water :-(
Thanks in advance

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Just a quick note to say thanks for a very good service ... in fact excellent service..
I am very happy with your customer service and speed and quality of my broadband connection .. keep up the good work . and a good new year to all of you at freeola.
Matthew Bradley
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.