GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Computer Stuttering"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Thu 01/09/05 at 23:23
"Tesco value"
After changing my CPU cooler to hopefully solve a problem of stuttering during Battlefield 2 (Brought a Gigabyte cooler pro) my game still stutters, even with the fan speed on maximum.

Now, I'm running 2x 512 mb PC3200 400mhz RAM, could it be these pain in the ass things overheating now?

you play for a while, it stutters, then stops, and again, over and over, ping stays at a healthy 28ms

would cooling solve the stuttering?
I've got a pentium 3.4 ghz HT, and I assumed it was the chip underclocking to cool down, but this new cooler with heatpipes and whatever should have surely solved the CPU side of things.

I'm using a ATI X800, but my PSU is only 300W, would this have anything to do with it? is the card overheating?

I feel I should just chuck it all in a bag and place it in a bucket of water :-(
Thanks in advance
Thu 08/09/05 at 08:49
Regular
"Digging!"
gordenisagaybys wrote:
> hmmm, chip set.
>
> Not a fudging clue.
>
> All I know it's a 3.4 ghz Pentium 4 HT with 800mhz FSB and 1 mb level
> 2 cache.

Get CPU-Z and check, if it's a VIA or SiS that is likely the cause, I've had awful stuttering and crashing problems on my Geforce 6600GT due to my SiS chipset, it doesn't seem to pass on requested data from the RAM.

I've just checked the list of crappy chipsets, if you have one of these you may want to consider a new mobo:

SiS: Either 645, 648, 651, and there max conitations.
Via: Older chipsets require you to use the old drivers, the new ones mess them up.

It could also be heat on the GFx card, could be your psu, could be AGP fastwrites, could be the BIOS on your mobo or your GFx card.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:11
Regular
"bot"
It would reduce the chance of your PSU blowing up and taking the motherboard with it... and it's quite possible your problem is power related. I'd personally be terrified of running a system like yours on a 300W PSU, just for peace of mind rather than anything else.
Wed 07/09/05 at 22:09
"Tesco value"
would it give any performance boost?

I can't see how a more powerful PSU will make any difference, and yeah, I mean CPU soz!

appreciate the help btw
Wed 07/09/05 at 20:33
Regular
"bot"
I really do recommend you get something like a 480W Tagan PSU though. The rails on a 300W will be really weak compared to modern PSUs. P4s are power whoress and I'd imagine that your X800 isn't exactly light on the juice either.
Wed 07/09/05 at 20:31
Regular
"bot"
gordenisagaybys wrote:
> it's cooled the chipset by about 11'c to around 49'C

I take it you mean the CPU?
Because if it was your chipset (northbridge) temp that was 60 degrees...that's bad.
Wed 07/09/05 at 20:28
"Tesco value"
hmmm, chip set.

Not a fudging clue.

All I know it's a 3.4 ghz Pentium 4 HT with 800mhz FSB and 1 mb level 2 cache.

I added a PCI extrater fan and another PCI thingy with two fans that go deep into the computer and draw out air from directly under the chip.

It has seemed to have done the trick, it sounds like a vacuum but when I crack up the Gigabyte cooler to 4500 it drowns out the noise from the other fans!

it's cooled the chipset by about 11'c to around 49'C when not under load so it's certainly made a difference. I'd like to put a fan at the front of the computer to blow cool air in but I haven't got any room as all the 3 1/2 and 5 1/2 slots are full
Mon 05/09/05 at 20:06
Regular
"bot"
60 degrees on a Prescott core is an alright temp.
Mon 05/09/05 at 19:53
Regular
"Digging!"
What Chipset you got on you mobo?
Fri 02/09/05 at 12:27
"Tesco value"
Yeah I think it is. Not really much more I can do. I've got a good cooler on it. I might take out a few PCI panels and see if there is fan that can fit in there, other than that I could go water cooled but can't really fit it in my budget at the moment.

Thanks for the help gerrid
Fri 02/09/05 at 12:23
Regular
"bit of a brain"
The more fans, the better, generally, as long as you don't cross them and create a dead zone in the centre. Anyway, I'm guessing that your problem was just your CPU overheating, rather than anything else.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

The coolest ISP ever!
In my opinion, the ISP is the best I have ever used. They guarantee 'first time connection - everytime', which they have never let me down on.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.