GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Cricket v Football"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 29/08/05 at 10:24
Regular
"Foxes 4 Ever!!!"
I was listening to the Radio 5 phone in earlier and its amazing the amount of people who seem to be making the switch from football to cricket at the moment in terms of interest and I have to say I am one of them.

There has been absolutely nothing in the football season so far that has given me any inspiration, Leicester or otherwise. I have found the cricket a lot more enthralling. Before the series I was not really into cricket whatsoever but like many, I have found myself gripped to the TV for every minute of the recent tests as it is pure drama and as Richie Bennett described it, its not just a sport but also a human drama as the game of cricket is based around the errors of the people who play it.

So I was just wondering if people felt the same, I'm not losing my passion for Leicester or football in general, but I think the attitude of the players in the cricket in particular on both sides has put footballers around the Premiership to shame. What do you all think?
Thu 08/09/05 at 19:09
"LOLLERSKATES!"
No, People are more interested in cricket because we are actually doing well, even if we where doing great at football, people would still watch the ashes as well.
Thu 08/09/05 at 18:36
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
I think the performance of the England football team at the minute has made more people take an interest in the cricket.
Thu 08/09/05 at 18:25
"LOLLERSKATES!"
Football and cricket are the best 2 sports, but football is still the best, if england where playing in the world cup final the same time they where playing the ashes, I would watch the footie, although The ashes is better than the football qualifiers and friendlys
Tue 30/08/05 at 13:13
Regular
"Previously Vampyr"
maybe, but stick to reality, England are pants at football, and not underwear at Cricket (it seems)
Tue 30/08/05 at 13:11
Regular
If the World Cup and The Ashes were on at exactly the same time and England were doing extremely well in each, without raising a sweat, football would be the most dominant one.

There's your answer.
Tue 30/08/05 at 11:51
Regular
"You've upset me"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Oh, and as for bandwagon jumpers, there's a really annoying local
> radio advert in which the VO says "if your insurer has bowled
> you for a googley..." which I assume is a cricket reference, and
> I don't know what it means, it just makes me angry.

Hehe, yeah I've heard that. It makes me gurn.
Tue 30/08/05 at 09:50
Regular
"Fishing For Reddies"
I love Football, but I also love Cricket, and Golf.

I was walking home from Golf yesterday, as a matter of fact, and there was this kev/scaly/chav-type - kitted to the nines in Nike and Burberry - who was playing cricket with his brother with a tennis ball. It didn't annoy me, just made me laugh.

Of course, people do have a mild excuse for this. If they've never taken an interest in cricket or never played the sport, the 2005 Ashes series will have bought the sport to light for a lot of people. In much the same way as the Rugby World Cup, there'll be a lot of people who want to try it and only a small perecntage of people who take it on as a hobby.

The perked interest in Cricket is only natural seeing as it's all over the news and dotted throughout so many conversations.

It's a good sport, Cricket. Maybe not as constantly active and as fast paced as football, but it can be just as tense and a lot of fun to watch. Comparing the two is like comparing Rock and Roll music to Classical - there's a time for both.
Tue 30/08/05 at 09:36
Regular
"not dead"
Football is the only sport.

When England won the rugby world cup it barely raised a smile. If they win the ashes it may get a 'meh'.

Of course, it's more likely that after playing for 25 days it'll be a draw.

And they stop for tea. And wear jumpers.

And they say that cricketers are such good role models, and footballers should take note. Yeah, because when most footballers score goals they stand and laugh at the keeper, pointing at the ball in the back of the net, don't they?

This recent rise in popularity of cricket has annoyed me because you see people encouraging their kids to play on the beach and stuff, when they should really be hiding them from it and hoping it dies out. Or maybe that's just me. Nothing makes the bile rise like a child saying 'Howzat' when they should be kicking a ball around instead.

Oh, and as for bandwagon jumpers, there's a really annoying local radio advert in which the VO says "if your insurer has bowled you for a googley..." which I assume is a cricket reference, and I don't know what it means, it just makes me angry.

Yeah, I think the most annoying thing is those that have put away their Rugby WC stuff, and got into the cricket. I don't really have a problem with those that have stuck through it throughout (and with England there's been a lot of crap to stick through, I think) but people who only like it when England are successful at something? Pathetic.

No doubt sleazy Tony Blair will also be basking in the success, should it come - and I can't imagine anything more sickening.
Tue 30/08/05 at 09:24
Regular
"Paid, Laid n Made"
football is way better than cricket

cricet is like watching paint dry

football has more fans and viewers

football has more action
Tue 30/08/05 at 03:42
Regular
RastaBillySkank wrote:
> Hahaha. UF is possibly the stupidest thing I've ever seen/played. I
> also love the fact that it's taken SO seriously when it truly is
> ridiculous.

Yeah, as a serious sport it's just stupid but it's a good laugh if you're with mates.

> I shouldn't be up this late. I've got to get up in 4 hours :-/

Hehe, I'll probably get up at about 3pm :P

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Excellent
Excellent communication, polite and courteous staff - I was dealt with professionally. 10/10
Top-notch internet service
Excellent internet service and customer service. Top-notch in replying to my comments.
Duncan

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.