GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"England Squad Announced"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Sun 28/08/05 at 19:40
Regular
"You've upset me"
Keepers
Robinson (Tottenham)
Green (Norwich)
Kirkland (Liverpool)

Defenders
Young (Charlton)
Warnock (Liverpool)
P Neville (Everton)
A Cole (Arsenal)
Carragher(Liverpool)
Ferdinand (Man Utd)
Terry (Chelsea)
Upson (Birmingham)

Midfielders
Beckham (Real Madrid)
Gerrard (Liverpool)
Lampard (Chelsea)
J Cole (Chelsea)
Hargreaves (Bayern Munich)
Wright-Phillips (Chelsea)
Jenas (Newcastle)
Carrick (Tottenham)
Richardson (Man Utd)

Forwards
Owen (Real Madrid)
Rooney (Man Utd)
Defoe (Tottenham)
A Johnson (Crystal Palace)
Bent (Charlton)

Surprised to see Stevie II in there. Good to see Luke Young getting a chance, Carrick too.
Thu 01/09/05 at 12:14
Regular
"not dead"
Beckham as a holding player? Damnit, stick him on the right, or on the bench. Get Carrick in as holding player.

Still, it's only one game, it won't be the formation for any more than that, I don't think.
Thu 01/09/05 at 12:11
Regular
Sven will go with the following 4-5-1 against Wales.

Robinson
P Neville - Carragher - Ferdinand - A Cole
SWP - Gerrard - Beckham - Lampard - J Cole
Rooney

Which is like saying that Chelsea play 4-5-1. SWP and Joe Cole will push up and it will quite easily become 4-3-3. Beckham plays centrally in a holding role.

In my mind... good news. This is where I want the team to go, with a midfield triangle of Gerrard, Lampard and a holding player.
Wed 31/08/05 at 19:54
Regular
I think the best way to have keepers in an international set up is to have an older guy with 2 younger ones, so i would probably prefer to see Martyn in there.
Wed 31/08/05 at 19:47
Regular
"I like cheese"
Stevie Stevie Stevie Stevie Waaaaarnock!
Wed 31/08/05 at 19:28
Regular
"@RichSmedley"
Think James will ever be back in the England squad? I doubt it and good riddance to him. Robinson and Kirkland can only improve playing for England and will battle to become the established NO1 for the next year or so. Can't see Green ever playing for England though.
Wed 31/08/05 at 18:19
Regular
Hmm. I suppose the right-wing is the famously influencial attacking position.

But whatever I might psychologically feel like doing, I'd look at Gerrard and Lampard, and decide that Lampard has the better left-foot and so he'd be left-centre. Same up front - I'd look at Owen and Rooney, and, again, put Rooney on the left because he's more comfortable with his left. And also they're all more at ease playing in those positions as that's where they are for their clubs.

Yet Sven and most people favour the reverse for Gerrard and Lampard. Confuses me, no end. Maybe it's because he tried Gerrard on the left-wing at one point.
Wed 31/08/05 at 17:49
Regular
"Long time no see!"
I do the same on Football Manager. :)

It must be something to do with defensive qualities.

If you're going to pick your strikers, on which sides of the attack do you play Rooney and van Nistelrooy, in a standard 4-4-2?

I'd generally choose Rooney on the left, seeing as he's the one more likely to drop back and defend. And when I think of the differences between right and left, I tend to think of right as being... Better?

Perhaps it's because I am right-footed and right-handed. There's a great minority of left-footed players, as you'll know.

I tend to think of Gerrard as the more defensive of the two.

That's just one of my theories, anyway. :)
Wed 31/08/05 at 17:34
Regular
Oswaldo! wrote:
> From the training ground today, reports came in that Eriksson was
> lining his team up in a 4-5-1 formation of sorts.
>
> Unless that means playing Rooney behind in a supporting role, why
> can't he just stick two up top (Defoe being the other) and let us get
> on with it?

Oh do be quiet, Oz. We want change. Everyone's calling for it.

4-5-1 can very easily become a more attacking 4-3-3, which can see Gerrard and Lampard in the middle with a holding player behind. For example:

Robinson
P Neville - Carragher - Ferdinand - A Cole
Gerrard - Beckham - Lampard
Rooney - Defoe - J Cole

Seeing as Beckham is always straying inside anyway we might as well play him centrally and with his range of passing he could quite easily become the holding player we need.

Gerrard and Lampard get their usual club positions, as do Rooney and J Cole, and Defoe becomes the focal point of the attack.

Open question though - why is it that usually people choose to have Gerrard as a M LC player internationally, and Lampard as a M RC? It's the opposite for their clubs.
Wed 31/08/05 at 17:25
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Phil Neville at right-back? That brings back horrible memories of Romania several years ago... :S

Still, at least one Neville brother is better than two on the pitch!

Carragher's also a better centre-back, in my opinion.

And don't worry folks; now that Owen's at St.James' Park, Scott Parker will most certainly be in the England squad again before Christmas! :D
Wed 31/08/05 at 17:22
Regular
"Long time no see!"
Warnock plays on the left for Liverpool and Giggs generally plays left-side for Wales. It's quite unlikely the two will meet in the match, let alone that Warnock will even make an appearence - look at Darren Bent against Denmark.

From the training ground today, reports came in that Eriksson was lining his team up in a 4-5-1 formation of sorts.

Unless that means playing Rooney behind in a supporting role, why can't he just stick two up top (Defoe being the other) and let us get on with it?

If you're gonna set out to play negatively against WALES and NORTHERN IRELAND, you may aswell just resign from the qualifiers right now!

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.