GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christian Bale - Actor and Nut Case"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/08/05 at 15:51
Regular
First off, a test, does the B tag work in the title? Unlikely methinks. Anyway, on with the topic:

I've enjoyed every performance I've seen from Christian Bale, he's played some excellent roles. I just watched The Machinist last night and this was no different - I'm actually surprised they didn't put Bale up for an Oscar in that one though. I won't go into the details of the movie because its one of those that is so easily spoiled by any hints you give, particularly if you've seen certain other similar movies. My question though: is Christian Bale insane? He lost a tremendous amount of weight to play Trevor and then put on extra bulk to play Batman and I'm really not convinced that he'll have got through that without leaving lasting damage.

For anyone who has seen a picture of the movie or, even better, the movie itself, you'll know what I mean - he was scarily thin, its hard to believe he could even stand up. From what I'm told, he ate a tin of tuna and an apple every day, nothing else (except water), in the lead up to the movie. I'm not convinced I could cope with that, particularly if the option was open to just not bother.

Any thoughts?
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:33
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Stryke wrote:
> Surprised this post has had a reply and American Psycho hasn't been
> mentioned. By far the best role Bale has done. You could see bits of
> Bateman in his Bruce Wayne.
>
> "I have to return some videotapes"

That's what he meant in the interview I read about not wanting people to think he was a work out nut, obsessed with his body, because his physique was near on perfect or something in American Psycho. Still not seen it myself. Keep meaning to.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:22
Regular
Surprised this post has had a reply and American Psycho hasn't been mentioned. By far the best role Bale has done. You could see bits of Bateman in his Bruce Wayne.

"I have to return some videotapes"
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:10
Regular
"Rong Xion Tong"
Aha! I have retrieved my old account name thanks to whoever replies to the registration query emails. If you read this sir, I salute you.

Metallica related indeed. Forgot I had this email account.

Anyway on topic, I haven't seen the Machinist though I have wanted to for some time. I have however seen pictures and he does indeed look horribly thin. Like his bones are about to pierce his skin.

I read an interview with him somewhere (when trying to find details of his workout regime) where he stated that he didn't like people thinking of him as some sort of work out nut who loved to build his body muscles. He said part of the reason he really wanted to do The Machinist was to let people know that he was just as willing to lose his body for a film than he was to build it up.

Personally, after Batman I love the man. I hated him before hand because his face reminded of my some guy I used to know early in my school life who I never got on with, plus the fact I hated him in Shaft. But I think that's just because he played the role so well. I guess you were supposed to hate him. He was a racist thug.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:01
Regular
I know that being fat is the big thing to avoid these days, with non-stop news reports telling us that the country is obese (weird since the south and scotland are wider than central England), but I think its probably safer to gain then lose weight than to lose then gain it.

Putting on fat that can be swiftly burned off may leave some heart damage, I don't know enough about it really, but weight loss... it seems like it would do more damage to your body. I haven't really got anything to back that up though.
Mon 22/08/05 at 15:55
Regular
"The definitive tag"
He's not the first actor to put his body through hell for a role. Robert De Niro gained a dangerous amount of weight for parts of Raging Bull. They were only small parts as well, maybe a total of ten minutes maximum screen time was he fat.

I think Eric Bana did the same for parts of Chopper.
Mon 22/08/05 at 15:52
Regular
Ah. That's a shame. Didn't think the bold tags would do their business. Now I know.
Mon 22/08/05 at 15:51
Regular
First off, a test, does the B tag work in the title? Unlikely methinks. Anyway, on with the topic:

I've enjoyed every performance I've seen from Christian Bale, he's played some excellent roles. I just watched The Machinist last night and this was no different - I'm actually surprised they didn't put Bale up for an Oscar in that one though. I won't go into the details of the movie because its one of those that is so easily spoiled by any hints you give, particularly if you've seen certain other similar movies. My question though: is Christian Bale insane? He lost a tremendous amount of weight to play Trevor and then put on extra bulk to play Batman and I'm really not convinced that he'll have got through that without leaving lasting damage.

For anyone who has seen a picture of the movie or, even better, the movie itself, you'll know what I mean - he was scarily thin, its hard to believe he could even stand up. From what I'm told, he ate a tin of tuna and an apple every day, nothing else (except water), in the lead up to the movie. I'm not convinced I could cope with that, particularly if the option was open to just not bother.

Any thoughts?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Thanks!
Thank you for dealing with this so promptly it's nice having a service provider that offers a good service, rare to find nowadays.
10/10
Over the years I've become very jaded after many bad experiences with customer services, you have bucked the trend. Polite and efficient from the Freeola team, well done to all involved.

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.