GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christian Bale - Actor and Nut Case"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/08/05 at 15:51
Regular
First off, a test, does the B tag work in the title? Unlikely methinks. Anyway, on with the topic:

I've enjoyed every performance I've seen from Christian Bale, he's played some excellent roles. I just watched The Machinist last night and this was no different - I'm actually surprised they didn't put Bale up for an Oscar in that one though. I won't go into the details of the movie because its one of those that is so easily spoiled by any hints you give, particularly if you've seen certain other similar movies. My question though: is Christian Bale insane? He lost a tremendous amount of weight to play Trevor and then put on extra bulk to play Batman and I'm really not convinced that he'll have got through that without leaving lasting damage.

For anyone who has seen a picture of the movie or, even better, the movie itself, you'll know what I mean - he was scarily thin, its hard to believe he could even stand up. From what I'm told, he ate a tin of tuna and an apple every day, nothing else (except water), in the lead up to the movie. I'm not convinced I could cope with that, particularly if the option was open to just not bother.

Any thoughts?
Mon 22/08/05 at 17:13
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
In case anyone wonders what ssxpro is on about, I removed his attempt at using bold in the title - it looks funny.

American Psycho is truly horrible in parts, though redeems itself with a chapter on Huey Lewis and the News ;)
Mon 22/08/05 at 17:08
Regular
Mm, the scene with the dong nailed to the board fills me with exceptional disgust. It's for that reason I can't bring myself to read Rules of Attraction. Haven't heard what it's like, but I really enjoy the film and don't want to ruin it with another vile-fest.

There are plenty of authors like those two that are trendy to be seen with as you sip your latte in Starbucks, and the only one I've actually enjoyed is Kafka. A couple of times I've seen people reading Chomsky, which I only mentioned because I've noticed you reference him a few times in Life. I know that's political observations and not cult-fiction, but it seems to me like it's the same pseudo-show of intellectual capacity. Like anyone on the Tube actually cares.

And that's not an attack on you reading Chomsky, just an observation.
Mon 22/08/05 at 17:02
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
It's amusing to listen to book snobs talk about Phalwikkywauak.
They can't be honest and say "Look, nobody cared about his books until Jim Uhls turned Fight Club into a uniquely dark and powerful screenplay, and suddenly all the hipsters that like to be seen reading trendy books on the train had read him for years".
Same with Ellis. Your reaction to American was the same as mine, the same as my mate who recommended it to me etc etc. The most extreme, unpleasant book I'd ever read and I got the impression that he wrote it simply to push the edges of what he could get away with.
When somebody presses a copy into your hand and says "Bet you can't get through this", it becomes a challenge.
Not "Read this, it's fantastic" but "Try and finish", to me, removes literary merit from it.
I get the impression that an awful lot of people read Phualwauakak because they think they're supposed to and won't admit he's not that interesting.
Or it could just be me not enjoying his style.

When I heard they were making a movie of American Psycho, I thought "Nope, can't do it" - and you'll agree having read it, you just could not get away with filming that book and remaining true to it.
Which neutered the point of that book.
It was hideously detailed brutality for a chapter, hideously detailed Genesis for a chapter, brutality, aftershave, brutality, business card.
Just really, really vile nastiness mixed with tedious "look how much I know about this subject" meanderings.
Mon 22/08/05 at 17:02
Regular
Well, just big storage centres. They get recycled and whatnot when not needed.
Mon 22/08/05 at 17:00
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
Aha, that's it. Immortal cells, eh? Nifty.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:59
Regular
Well, adipose cells aren't technically cells, they're just big storage units. So they can't actually die.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:57
Regular
"twothousandandtits"
ssxpro wrote:
> I know that being fat is the big thing to avoid these days, with
> non-stop news reports telling us that the country is obese (weird
> since the south and scotland are wider than central England), but I
> think its probably safer to gain then lose weight than to lose then
> gain it.

Although apparently you never actually lose fat cells, they just shrink. Well, maybe they are replaced by equally small ones, but it makes no difference, the fat cells are still there. But this probably doesn't apply to Bale because he was muscley, not fatty.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:54
Regular
I tried out Fight Club. Couldn't get into it at all. The book, that is. The only reason I tried it was a few self-righteous poepe who acted aloof every time anyone mentioned Fight Club being a good film. It was like they couldn't accept Brad Pitt was in a good film.

I gave Ellis a go, but some of the descriptions actually make me feel disgusted. Never had that with a book or film before.

Edit: Yeah, the film is so toned down from the descriptions in the book, which I think is a good thing. Leaves room for the more interesting aspects of the character degredation.
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:48
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I really didn't think that much of American Psycho to be honest.
Probably because I'd read the book and found it to be nothing more than an exercise in purile "let's see how far I can go" set-pieces.
Ellis just isn't the author for me, maybe I just don't "get it" because it leaves me cold and shrugging, same with Chuck Pahluwakkialkak. Read Fight Club, Choke & Survivor and thought "meh".
Mon 22/08/05 at 16:43
Regular
Make it your mission in life. Then go see the Rules of Attraction. It's got his younger brother, Sean Bateman. Played by The Dawson, being good for once.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Continue this excellent work...
Brilliant! As usual the careful and intuitive production that Freeola puts into everything it sets out to do, I am delighted.
LOVE it....
You have made it so easy to build & host a website!!!
Gemma

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.