GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"Christian Bale - Actor and Nut Case"

The "Freeola Customer Forum" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Mon 22/08/05 at 15:51
Regular
First off, a test, does the B tag work in the title? Unlikely methinks. Anyway, on with the topic:

I've enjoyed every performance I've seen from Christian Bale, he's played some excellent roles. I just watched The Machinist last night and this was no different - I'm actually surprised they didn't put Bale up for an Oscar in that one though. I won't go into the details of the movie because its one of those that is so easily spoiled by any hints you give, particularly if you've seen certain other similar movies. My question though: is Christian Bale insane? He lost a tremendous amount of weight to play Trevor and then put on extra bulk to play Batman and I'm really not convinced that he'll have got through that without leaving lasting damage.

For anyone who has seen a picture of the movie or, even better, the movie itself, you'll know what I mean - he was scarily thin, its hard to believe he could even stand up. From what I'm told, he ate a tin of tuna and an apple every day, nothing else (except water), in the lead up to the movie. I'm not convinced I could cope with that, particularly if the option was open to just not bother.

Any thoughts?
Tue 23/08/05 at 10:43
Regular
"One Man Landslide"
Tiltawhirl wrote:
> The best thing Bale has done has been Batman, he was good in
> Equilibrium as well. American Psycho did absoloutly nothing for me,
> just seemed like it felt like it was more intelligent than it really
> was

I thought Equilibrium was really poor and uninteresting, and the role gave Bale little to work with.

American Psycho's being a good film is down to personal preference, but I do think Bale's performance was better in that than in either Batman or Equilibrium, especially considering the character he had to play. In Bruce Wayne he got to express a character with more facets than just "Money/Clothes/Kill", and did he well, but I found Bateman in Psycho to be a more intriguing character precisely because he seemed so one-dimensional in his dualism (if you see what I mean).

Of all the things the American Psycho film could be described, intelligent probably isn't one of them.
Tue 23/08/05 at 09:59
Regular
The best thing Bale has done has been Batman, he was good in Equilibrium as well. American Psycho did absoloutly nothing for me, just seemed like it felt like it was more intelligent than it really was

I did enjoy Rules of Attraction though.
Tue 23/08/05 at 09:27
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Nope.
Tue 23/08/05 at 08:11
Regular
Kilgore Trout wrote:
> In case anyone wonders what ssxpro is on about, I removed his attempt
> at using bold in the title - it looks funny.

Ah, I wondered where that had gone. I tried editing it, but couldn't find the right box, so I left it. I take it there isn't a way for us to edit subject titles as well as the content of the original post?
Mon 22/08/05 at 19:00
Regular
"not dead"
Oops.

Well you clearly knew what I meant. ;o)
Mon 22/08/05 at 18:53
Regular
"0228"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Now the world don't turn to the beat of just one drum...

Move, not turn.

[URL]http://tv.cream.org/specialassignments/themes/diffrent_strokes.mp3[/URL]
Mon 22/08/05 at 18:46
Regular
"not dead"
Kilgore Trout wrote:
> Meka Dragon wrote:
> Stuff
>
> Funny, I loved Everything Is Illuminated, I thought it was really
> funny, but found Fear and Loathing a real struggle to get through.

Thereby proving the theory of different strokes for different folks:

Now the world don't turn to the beat of just one drum...
Mon 22/08/05 at 18:46
Regular
Blank wrote:
>> Oldboy was a fantastic film; it was supremely violent but there was a
> reason there, it was all motivated by something. It wasn't "Then
> he does something horrible because the other guy has a better
> business card," under the pretence that "HE'S A PSYCHO!!!!
> IT DOESN'T HAVE TO MAKE SENSE!!1 HAHAH I'M A GENIUS!!"

--

Ah, but I don't think American Psycho is a bad film. I think it's great, and probably the best thing that Bale has done. I just reckon the book is awful, and they've improved the film version many times over by softening it a bit, but leaving room for Huey Lewis murders and chainsaw throwing.
Mon 22/08/05 at 18:43
Regular
"Woke up this mornin"
Meka Dragon wrote:
> Stuff

Funny, I loved Everything Is Illuminated, I thought it was really funny, but found Fear and Loathing a real struggle to get through.
Mon 22/08/05 at 18:36
Regular
"Infantalised Forums"
I think there's a difference between getting into something because it's popular and enjoying something simply because it's popular.
That's almost as bad as the people that won't like anything remotely popular because it gives them an anti-cool.

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Many thanks!
You were 100% right - great support!
Everybody thinks I am an IT genius...
Nothing but admiration. I have been complimented on the church site that I manage through you and everybody thinks I am an IT genius. Your support is unquestionably outstanding.
Brian

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.