GetDotted Domains

Viewing Thread:
"How to win gameaday"

The "General Games Chat" forum, which includes Retro Game Reviews, has been archived and is now read-only. You cannot post here or create a new thread or review on this forum.

Fri 15/10/04 at 16:19
Regular
"Movie Maniac!!!"
Please, anyone whos ever won gameaday, please give me advice I really want to win gameaday. Please give me your expert advice. SOME OF YOU HAVE WON OVER 30 TIMES......... HOW DO YOU DO IT. PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE A WINNING SUBMISSION
Wed 10/11/04 at 16:35
Regular
"Movie Maniac!!!"
I need advice from the top ones. You know like, Meka Dragon, Bejam, Rickoss, philip111. Please I need advice, hey I know look at my reviews and tell me what im missing. Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, I beg you. Need advice.
Fri 15/10/04 at 21:41
Regular
I have a mate that works in a certain games shop, so I get to rent/buy the games a day early, which is nice, as I can review them before most, therefore increasing my chances slightly.
Fri 15/10/04 at 21:11
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
There's really no point in 'reviewing' games that aren't even out yet, that's just plain silly.

Best advice I can give you is to put some thought into your reviews, type it up in Word first to catch any typos and try to review recent releases.
Fri 15/10/04 at 21:04
Regular
"Incomprehendible"
zzzz, this is a quote from your review of Need For Speed Underground 2, and it is also the reason you have never won GAD...

"ME AND MY FRIEND SPENDED 3 HOURS ON THIS"

Spended? I mean, for God's sake...
Fri 15/10/04 at 21:03
Regular
"Just Bog Standard.."
Bribery.
Fri 15/10/04 at 19:49
Regular
"Brooklyn boy"
Posting something actually bloody relating to the forum title would be a start
Fri 15/10/04 at 18:08
Regular
I've won 23 times, and I can give you some good pointers

- Make your review interesting to read. Simply stating all the information about the game and then saying its good and the person should buy it will not help much unless it's a really quiet day for GAD entries. I don't want to sound like I'm boasting, but read my Mario kart Double Dash review. It won GAD a few days ago and I feel it's a good example of how you push your review up to the GAd standard rather than being boring
- Write loads. I was fortunate to win quite early after I started trying, but it still took me about 30 reviews to get into the full swing of it, I guess my first GAD was lucky. Basically review every game you've owned and played.
- Don't review games just from reading magazine reviews. I've tried this a few times when I wanted to win because I especially wanted a certain game, and it doesn't work, you just can't have the same kind of style when your copying facts from a magazine.
- Keep your review varied. If you focus on one aspect of the game your review won't be so good, you have to pick like 5 or 6 factors of the game and write a short bit about each one, so the reader has a clear idea what the game is like
- A good introduction and conclusion is always nice. Keep the conclusion short and sweet, just emphasising the key points you want to make about the product. Try and research a little about the game to, if you read a videogames mag every month this should be sufficient. This way you can make your intro factual and interesting. If you just put 'This game is a racing game and it features Mario', it won't look so good. Again refer to my Mario Kart review because that's got a good example of how to start a review.

And the best bit of advice I can give:

- Until you've started to write loads of reviews and won a few times, write all your reviews in Word and don't submit them for a few days after you've written them. You may get ideas in your head of cool sentences to add, and it's just wise to keep adding to your review and seeing if there's any weak parts, and if so try and replace them with something else. Don't submit your review until you've read it through a lot of times and are totally satisfied with it.

Good luck trying to win GAD! Be patient, and practice, and take as much of my advice as possible.
Fri 15/10/04 at 17:21
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
ok
Fri 15/10/04 at 17:20
Regular
"Too Orangy For Crow"
I've got dinner in a sec. After that maybe.
Fri 15/10/04 at 17:15
Regular
"END OF AN ERA"
I have some good advice...

Care to discuss it over a game of pool grandprix?

Freeola & GetDotted are rated 5 Stars

Check out some of our customer reviews below:

Best Provider
The best provider I know of, never a problem, recommend highly
Paul
I've been with Freeola for 14 years...
I've been with Freeola for 14 years now, and in that time you have proven time and time again to be a top-ranking internet service provider and unbeatable hosting service. Thank you.
Anthony

View More Reviews

Need some help? Give us a call on 01376 55 60 60

Go to Support Centre
Feedback Close Feedback

It appears you are using an old browser, as such, some parts of the Freeola and Getdotted site will not work as intended. Using the latest version of your browser, or another browser such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, or Opera will provide a better, safer browsing experience for you.